Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

First impression from the Range.

Long and forgiving. Pretty even ten yard gap between clubs.

Nice gap from my LW, SW to the XR PRO AW.

The long irons will be kicking my hybrids out of the bag. Especially on those windy days. When you need to keep the ball down out of the wind.

Ball flight mid trajectory aim and shot. The ball just wanted to go straight straight. No problem working a fade or draw on demand.

Bring your smiles you will be pleased.

Mtc

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I haven't been on this site for long but really love the positive attitude and have made the switch from GolfWrx to here. That being said I received my set of XR PRO with CTAPER LITE just in time for a fresh batch of snow. But got the chance to go into Golfsmith and compared them to my apex pro with ust recoil 110. I was shocked from the results. I hit balls for about twenty minutes on the GC2 getting rid of the winter rust and then started the comparison.

Apex Pro Averages with 7 Iron 19.5 Launch 4600 Carry 185
XR PRo Averages with 7 Iron 22.4 Launch 4600 Carry 194 <-- The difference here was my long hit to shortest hit was only six yards a part. 192-198

I was using the Callaway Chromesoft golf ball which I really like. Purchased three dozen balls.

I live in Colorado so the distance may seem a bit exagerated but they are real numbers. I move from Florida where a stock seven was 175.

Extremely impressed with the XR Pro. I will mention as a side note that there is a distinct feel difference between the two. The XR PROS remind me of an old set of Ping I5's I had with PROJECT X SATINS.

One side note was when I demoed this irons none of the shafts I hit with gave me the soft feel off the face that I am getting with cptaper lites. Not sure if it was the fitting head with the screw. I am determined that this will stay in the bag for a long time to come. I love the height, forgiveness and dispersion I am getting with this club. I will update when I get some real course time with these looks like that will be late March.

Loving the XR Hybrids and XR Fairway Wood that I purchased too.

Keep us updated on how its going with the new irons.

XR pro iron, Long and Forgiving

XR pro iron, Long and Forgiving

I compared the XR to the RSi 1 ( 7iron ) with stock reg graphite, and they were both good clubs, pretty much interchangeable in distance and forgiveness. Then I tried the XR pro it was consistently A little longer and more accurate. I was very surprised to say the least. (8hcp)

Just got home from work and on the porch was a package from Callaway!
XR Pro 5-AW w/ UST Recoil F4 680's, 54* Mac Daddy Chrome, 58* Mac Daddy Slate all with GP Tour Velvet Midsize Grips.
Hopefully the weather will be somewhat decent Friday so I can give them a go!
Have not been able to play for a couple of weeks as the weather has not cooperated on my days off.
XR Hybrids ordered but show back ordered 5-7 Days, Oh well, patience is a virtue they say.

Just got home from work and on the porch was a package from Callaway!
XR Pro 5-AW w/ UST Recoil F4 680's, 54* Mac Daddy Chrome, 58* Mac Daddy Slate all with GP Tour Velvet Midsize Grips.
Hopefully the weather will be somewhat decent Friday so I can give them a go!
Have not been able to play for a couple of weeks as the weather has not cooperated on my days off.
XR Hybrids ordered but show back ordered 5-7 Days, Oh well, patience is a virtue they say.

When did you order and when did they ship your clubs?

ordered on Friday the 13th (should have known), shipped on the 20th, sat in limbo somewhere with UPS for a couple of days, but finally got here!

I think I need to go find these to hit somewhere in Tulsa this weekend.

Would be cool to draw a baseline against the standard XR.

Dropped the XR's off to have my program shafts installed. I can't wait to get them back.

I think I need to go find these to hit somewhere in Tulsa this weekend.

Would be cool to draw a baseline against the standard XR.
Would love to hear your impression on the long irons. I like most high handicappers struggle with the 3-5 irons. While my limited impression is that the XR Pro are the easiest long irons to hit compared to other long irons I have owned in the past.

Without buy the XR and XR Pro Irons 3-5, I'm am left wondering if I could have benefited from the added forgiveness in the longer irons with the XR vs the XR PRO.

Unfortunately I was only able to demo the 6 and 7 irons prior to purchase. And don't have a set of XR long irons available to compare to my XR PRO.

That being said. They are still the easiest long irons I have ever owned.

Friend of mine hit with kbs and projext x, he said for him the project x shaft 10 yards farther, I'm sure it's possible and I've read that, but I never seem to have that problem I hit them all the same no matter the brand or shaft. But he loves the xr pro he got a set coming in, I'll be hitting them soon.

I couldn't help myself and ordered a set today. 5-AW with the Recoil shafts.

An interesting day at my fitting. First we started the Mizuno optimizer to find my best shaft. A TT S300 showed to be the best for my swing. My numbers were 4/4/6/6 with a Swing Speed base of 83 MPH. Then I swung my current Swing blade 6 iron with the standard 85 gram shaft SS of 83 MPH. After recording a few swings he placed a S300 in Speedblade and commented that " I bet your SS will increase". My SS did increased up to 88.Mph.Then we tried a Sri 2 and the XR in a 7iron with the same shaft. And swing speed was 88 MPH with the 7 iron.
Dispersion and distance were similar. Then he decided to try the stock shaft in the XR, saying he always likes to try the stock offering because of the R&D of the company.

My swing speed increased to 89 MPH which surprised him. Dispersion was good, after ten or so swings he decided to try the XR Pro with the stock KBS shaft. My swing speed increased to 91 MPH on average of 10 hits. My shortest hit with the Pro was 165 yds that I hit way out on the toe. Definitely an over the top move which we discussed in detail. Most were in the 170 to 175 yard range. Which if holds true, I will be very happy with. Then he brought up the screen and the XR Pro's dispersion was a tiny circle. It was really remarkable how tight it was. I should be so lucky out on the course. He also commented that if I can clean up my swing it should get better.

If I would have went with the S300's I would have had to do a custom order so I decided to get them with the Stock shafts. It was dark by the time we got done with the fitting so I didn't get to hit them outside. Low 40 degrees anyway. So if the weather improves soon I might be able to get out on the range to dial in the new distances I'm about to get with these puppies:banana::blob:

I picked up a BB 815 with a Tour Blue X65 stiff shaft while I was in Florida in January. So I asked if I could get some spin numbers. After 3 swings I couldn't get any swings over 96 MPH. He checked the shaft and it was an extra stiff shaft. I'm not sure how it got changed when I bought it. I had good numbers in Florida and I have only used it twice since then. I was curious why I wasn't getting any distance, just putting off towards the cold weather. At that point I was upset about the shaft and for got to ask him getting all the fitting numbers. Also did a wedge fitting and ended get a 55* and a 60* Cleveland RTX 588 CB2 TT Dynamic Gold wedge shaft.
All in all an expensive day.:bulgy-eyes:

So when I get out on the range or on the course I give my thoughts. It really proved to me how important a good fitting really is.

I am in love with my 815 and now I am lusting hard after the XR Pro's (and also an 815 3w or XR Pro 3w).

I hit these against the Apex and PGA SS and was hitting the XR Pro 7 and far as the Apex 6. I want to try the Mizuno shaft optimizer and the fitting cart to see what shaft fits best but I will have some of these in the near future.

I am in love with my 815 and now I am lusting hard after the XR Pro's (and also an 815 3w or XR Pro 3w).

I hit these against the Apex and PGA SS and was hitting the XR Pro 7 and far as the Apex 6. I want to try the Mizuno shaft optimizer and the fitting cart to see what shaft fits best but I will have some of these in the near future.

When mine come in I would be happy to meet up somewhere and let you hit mine.

Well just finished my morning round. Shot an 86 with these beauties.

That's down from 106 a week ago with the Big Bertha's.

Very precise distance and dispersión. But in all fairness I do have a bit of the new golf clubs flu. I been practicing about 3-4 hour a day the last three days. Chipping, putting and long game.

The XR PRO IRONS, while requiring a decent on plane swing, reward the average Mid-handicapped player with a lovely ball flight that hold the greens from almost any lie.

Fat shot or thin one only cost about a 5 yard penalty. And believe me I had more than a few today.

The feed back is very precise. This allowed me to actually improve my ball striking during practice on the range.

Callaway has advertised these as sitting squarely in the middle of their iron line up and today they lived up to that promise. Just enough game improvement to cover my mishits, while enough of a player's iron to reward me when I was lucky enough to hit it pure.

MTC. Hopes to helps other Mid-handicappers looking to improve their game to the next level.

I hope my good play continues to improve. I can only hope as I get more familiar with these new irons, to love them even more.

1b078e9b7e91dbbb72a9cbec7126524b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm getting pretty anxious as I ordered these on the 21st and I still don't have a tracking number yet. Can't wait to put them in play.

I'm getting pretty anxious as I ordered these on the 21st and I still don't have a tracking number yet. Can't wait to put them in play.
Soon it will be Xmas

I'm sure when you get them you'll be very satisfied.

Definitely worth the wait.

ccfe892596520ae6d944b52579283d21.jpg

Just awaiting grips and then these bad boys will be complete. Can't wait to hit them with the program shafts!

Mine were ordered yesterday. Said 5 to 7 days til shipping. Hope they make it by next weekend, but probably not... EXCITED!!!

Mine were ordered yesterday. Said 5 to 7 days til shipping. Hope they make it by next weekend, but probably not... EXCITED!!!

The website said the same thing when I ordered mine 7 days ago but no shipping info yet...... I did order custom grips and a non standard shaft so maybe thats part of the delay.

Last edited:
The guy who ordered them had to call for a correction. They actually said the duration was pretty accurate as long as it was the stock shaft.

The guy who ordered them had to call for a correction. They actually said the duration was pretty accurate as long as it was the stock shaft.

I knew ordering the Tour V shaft instead of the stock Tour V90 would slow them down but my spin numbers and trajectory control were so much better with the heavier Tour V that I figured I could wait the extra week or so.

I knew ordering the Tour V shaft instead of the stock Tour V90 would slow them down but my spin numbers and trajectory control were so much better with the heavier Tour V that I figured I could wait the extra week or so.

Don't blame you at all!! I'll post up when I get a shipping notice.

I'm enjoying everything about the XR I'm reviewing, but I think I want these...alot.

Back