The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who drink alcohol are hired all the time without discrimination at time of hire. It only becomes an issue if it becomes a problem with you and the job. Why then should the use of pot be treated differently?
Because having drug users on your payroll impacts your Drug Free Workplace status. In Florida one of the benefits is cheaper worker's comp.

Because having drug users on your payroll impacts your Drug Free Workplace status.

It's only drug free because alcohol is an accepted drug and many people just want that same status for weed.

Because having drug users on your payroll impacts your Drug Free Workplace status. In Florida one of the benefits is cheaper worker's comp.

This is true, and to add to it:

Here's a good example of the liability issues that an employer must deal with with marijuana. When I had a CDL, if I was involved in an accident, no matter whose fault it was, I had to be tested for drugs and alcohol immediately. Alcohol is easy, it stays in your system for a short period of time, so it is easy to rule out as a factor in an accident. THC stays in your system for a much longer time, so even if you're not feeling the effects of it, a urinalysis will show that it is still in your system, I believe it can be detected for up to 30 days. So in the case of an incident at work, there isn't really a good way to test and see whether you are actually under the influence at the current time which poses a liability for the employer.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with legalization.

Don't be so sure about this. We were at a marijuana forum last night at our kids school. There is a subset to the legalization issue called "edibles." These are food items with often large amounts of marijuana in them that are intentionally made to look like children friendly food. For example gummy bears where the prescribed dose is one leg of a gummy bear. Or the chocolate bar that is supposed to be cut into 10 or 12 bytes and you only are allowed to eat one square. This stuff is basically unregulated and really scary and dangerous, especially if you have kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cost of building materials is going up at work. Drywall supplier says they are hiking prices 10%. We say we are buying from someone else. They remove the price increase. Still buying from someone else. "Well there is definitely still room in there for us to move." UMMMMM WHAT? So your price "increase" is now going to cost you a 5 million dollar account, because you got greedy.

Boss tells me to have the receptionist do some of the little things so my job gets easier. Ask said receptionist to do said things, describing how to do said things. "I don't know how to do that." I go ahead and do all the work I was supposed to hand off. Find receptionist lounging around and chatting instead of working. Ask receptionist to do another job..... 4 hours later, job still not started.

Had hopes of swinging some light irons this weekend. Nope. Back spasm again and it took me ten minutes to get off the floor.

Don't be so sure about this. We were at a marijuana forum last night at our kids school. There is a subset to the legalization issue called "edibles." These are food items with often large amounts of marijuana in them that are intentionally made to look like children friendly food. For example gummy bears where the prescribed dose is one leg of a gummy bear. Or the chocolate bar that is supposed to be cut into 10 or 12 bytes and you only are allowed to eat one square. This stuff is basically unregulated and really scary and dangerous, especially if you have kids.

I get what you're saying, and it is a valid concern. But living in the middle of the experiment, I have a first hand view of it all.

For your example, you are correct that modeling the edibles after popular candy is a dangerous angle to come from and, frankly, not needed. But there has to be some accountability for the idiots that leave it out for their kids to see and reach. Besides, its not like candy and chocolate or anything processed is good for kids anyway.

As far as dosing goes, a lot of the companies have moved their edibles to a much lower dose because of the incidents you mentioned. Its quite obvious that moderation is not a strength of the human race.

What's scary about it for most folks is that its a new frontier and the resistance comes from the persistence of old and largely untrue stigma. I'd be more worried about my kid getting a hold of a cigarette than anything else.

Out of curiosity, how many people participating in this marijuana "forum" spoke positively of its use?

I get what you're saying, and it is a valid concern. But living in the middle of the experiment, I have a first hand view of it all.

For your example, you are correct that modeling the edibles after popular candy is a dangerous angle to come from and, frankly, not needed. But there has to be some accountability for the idiots that leave it out for their kids to see and reach. Besides, its not like candy and chocolate or anything processed is good for kids anyway.

As far as dosing goes, a lot of the companies have moved their edibles to a much lower dose because of the incidents you mentioned. Its quite obvious that moderation is not a strength of the human race.

What's scary about it for most folks is that its a new frontier and the resistance comes from the persistence of old and largely untrue stigma. I'd be more worried about my kid getting a hold of a cigarette than anything else.

Out of curiosity, how many people participating in this marijuana "forum" spoke positively of its use?

I'm fairly neutral on pot legalization. But '' it's not like candy or chocolate or anything processed is good for kids anyway '' is about as ridiculous of a statement as I can think of in regards to the concerns brought up.

People who drink alcohol are hired all the time without discrimination at time of hire. It only becomes an issue if it becomes a problem with you and the job. Why then should the use of pot be treated differently?

Most employers aren't going to deal with a drunk at work. Most people won't have alcohol in their system when they show up for their pre screen or even random test. Where marijuana will be in the system a lot longer.

employers want productive employees and whether it's marijuana, alcohol or any other form of substance abuse it won't be tolerated long and not to mention any liability for a work,related incident where any of these are a cause.

i went to boot camp with a guy who had a couple beers at the airport prior to arriving at the base via USO van. We had to take a breathalyzer and he blew high enough that he was removed from our company and processed out of the navy.

So I've been promised an iPad from work for the last 6 months in order to move our office into a paperless environment for what we do. Yesterday I find out that instead of the iPad I know will work (thanks to apps already built by our company) I get to fumble around with a Microsoft surface that we bought and had been laying useless around since everyone hates it. (Bang head against wall). In 6 months I'll end up with the iPad but why do I have to waste the 6 months when I know it won't work for what we need it to.

Our sale manager asked that I take our new around with me for a couple of days visiting some sites & trying to explain the boiler industry.
Seems like a nice enough guy but dang dude, put your cell phone down. We're looking at equipment you need to learn about. Pay attention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our sale manager asked that I take our new around with me for a couple of days visiting some sites & trying to explain the boiler industry.
Seems like a nice enough guy but dang dude, put your cell phone down. We're looking at equipment you need to learn about. Pay attention.

Have the same issue where I work and I'm a supervisor. So when I say something, they get all pissy

Was it between 1 and 2 PM. He might have been sending an email for a very important site visit of another sort in Kansas City :)

How hard is it to write down a 7 digit ID code.....when they can't get it right it causes me to waste time as I have to look at other details in the information to cross reference so that I have the correct ID code to process the data

Was it between 1 and 2 PM. He might have been sending an email for a very important site visit of another sort in Kansas City :)

No, it was between 10:00 & 11:00 AM CST. And what are you talking about?

No, it was between 10:00 & 11:00 AM CST. And what are you talking about?

He is referring to the Kansas City THP Event sign up time. I think he was having a bit of fun

Find out at 5pm yesterday that I am not closing on my house today. Not happy about that. Wake up this morning and no internet/tv. I forgot to call them last night and hold off turning it off. Called them and was told I would have to start a new service for them to turn it back on

Find out at 5pm yesterday that I am not closing on my house today. Not happy about that. Wake up this morning and no internet/tv. I forgot to call them last night and hold off turning it off. Called them and was told I would have to start a new service for them to turn it back on
That is always terrible. How long is it pushed back?

Dang dude.

Bad situation. Sorry to hear that. Just think though, your about to be in your new place and this old place will be history. Good times ahead.

I have a terrible grasp of the English language and my grammar is despicable, but for some reason I cannot stand when people say gonna. It's going to, there is no such word as gonna.

Last edited:
The use of the non-word gonna. It's going to, there is no such word as gonna.

You knew this was gonna happen when you hired an Okie.

:alien:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back