The Official Tiger Woods Thread

Golf made it without Arnie and Jack, it'll find a way without Tiger.

Jmo, of course.

Last edited:
Golf made it without Arnie and Jack, it'll fond a way without Tiger.

Jmo, of course.

I think we have a lot more big personality golfers than we seemed to have before. I don't think finding something to follow would be hard if they actually tried.

Between race, athleticism, how far he hit the ball and his winning, Tiger is/was a transcendent force in the sport. Golf will survive without him but he won't soon be replaced. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some great golfers out there right now there's no doubt, but if we put the Tiger of 2000 to 2007 out there against them, they would fold like a little tykes play chair when against him. I don't think anyone out there is close to being as good as Tiger was in his prime, they're good but he was in a different world.

Golf will of course always go on without Tiger Woods, but I think it's still very obvious how important he is to the sport. If you listen to the players talk about him and see the types of crowds he generates at events (even when he's 10 over par), it's pretty incredible. I think it will be quite awhile before another golfer comes around and changes golf the way Tiger did.

It really not fair to compare golf to basketball. Golf is popular with a much smaller segment of society. If we are comparing sports I'd use boxing. Once Tyson feel from grace the sport for the regular guy struggled because of a lack of starts. Now that struggle took a number of years to be realized but we now have a sport that struggles.

Golf would do the same if we didn't have great players like Rory, phil, DJ and Jordan to name a few. Tiger has been non existent for the past two seasons and was only relavant two of the past 6. The tour has signed new TV contracts, purses are still increasing and youth programs are still going strong. I think the future of golf if fine and will be in my life time.

Golf made it without Arnie and Jack, it'll find a way without Tiger.

Jmo, of course.
My opinion too. Golf will be fine.

Any I ne watch the Tigerless Honda classic. The crappy weather still had huge crowds following the rank of file. I hear the pink slip being files at pga tour headquarters.

Golf will of course always go on without Tiger Woods, but I think it's still very obvious how important he is to the sport. If you listen to the players talk about him and see the types of crowds he generates at events (even when he's 10 over par), it's pretty incredible. I think it will be quite awhile before another golfer comes around and changes golf the way Tiger did.

If ever. He was that special at his peak. People will get close, but his star shined damn bright.

Any I ne watch the Tigerless Honda classic. The crappy weather still had huge crowds following the rank of file. I hear the pink slip being files at pga tour headquarters.

I gotta tell you dude, Rors playing like crap, no Tiger, and Patrick Reed in the lead makes me not want to watch much of it.

I know Reed brings a certain element to the game but I just can't motivate myself to like him.

Honestly, what matters most, ticket sales or TV ratings? When Tigger goes away and contracts are up for renewal, what is going to happen?

2014 Sunday ratings for the Honda Classic:

• Final round coverage of the PGA Tour Honda Classic earned a 2.6 final rating and 3.9 million viewers on NBC last Sunday, up 30% in ratings and 38% in viewership from last year (2.0, 2.8M), but down 7% and 6%, respectively, from 2012 (2.8, 4.1M). According to Sports Business Daily, the final round earned the largest audience of the season for any PGA Tour event [SBD, 3/7]. On Saturday, third round action earned a 1.5 and 2.1 million — down a tick in ratings and 4% in viewership from last year (1.6, 2.2M), and down 12% and 11%, respectively, from 2012 (1.7, 2.3M).
Pos
Total
20141X-Russell Henley272
T2Russell Knox272
T2Rory McIlroy272
T2Ryan Palmer272
5Billy Hurley III273

20131Michael Thompson271
2Geoff Ogilvy273
3Luke Guthrie275
T4David Lynn277
T4Lucas Glover277
T4Erik Compton277
T4Keegan Bradley277
T4Justin Rose277

20121Rory McIlroy268
T2Tiger Woods270
T2Tom Gillis270
4Lee Westwood272
T5Charl Schwartzel273
T5Justin Rose273

I gotta tell you dude, Rors playing like crap, no Tiger, and Patrick Reed in the lead makes me not want to watch much of it.

I know Reed brings a certain element to the game but I just can't motivate myself to like him.
That's fine, you won't watch a Tigerless pga. And it seems a few on here won't either. But plenty more are.

Rory makes a bad showing this week after 4 weeks of now play. If he strings togther 6 weeks of this, let me know. If golfers, im.talk I ng guys that l I've golf can't get behind the current crop of players, its sad. Everyine needs to realize golf has more than turned the corner and could very well be 'the rest of guys' tour. And from where is sit, I like the guys in tour. I like watching good golf and good golf shots. I'm not sure what everyone else is watching.

Why is it sad that I can't get behind Reed, Spieth, or some of the others? do you like all of them? I have my favorites and I enjoy dynamic golf, I don't think many tournaments out there have been very dynamic for my taste. Good golf? yes, good golf for me? not quite.

Why is it sad that I can't get behind Reed, Spieth, or some of the others? do you like all of them? I have my favorites and I enjoy dynamic golf, I don't think many tournaments out there have been very dynamic for my taste. Good golf? yes, good golf for me? not quite.

People can choose whatever they would like of course.
Although I would say if last week was not dynamic, I am not sure what dynamic golf is. That was an epic playoff finish.

Although I would say if last week was not dynamic, I am not sure what dynamic golf is. That was an epic playoff finish.

I'm guessing I'm just desensitized, I thought it was definitely a fun play off to watch. Maybe I'm just losing my passion for the game, I'm not quite sure dude.

I'm guessing I'm just desensitized, I thought it was definitely a fun play off to watch. Maybe I'm just losing my passion for the game, I'm not quite sure dude.

Could be. I go through stretches like that. I understand being a fan of players, but never more than the game itself for me. For all the "I just love great golf", there is a lot of it being played by a lot of players including a young group that is the future of the game.

Last week's playoff was awesome, a lot of great golf to watch. The only thing that was kind of a bummer for me is that DJ and Sergio basically lost their chance of winning the tournament outright on the 71st hole when they bogied the par 5. So while there was great golf, there was also some poor golf by the final groups that led to the playoff.

For me though, it's tough watching golf this time of year since I'm unable to get out and play due to weather. I still enjoy watching it, but unless there is a finish like last weeks, I don't really invest my afternoons into watching it, if that makes any sense.

So therefore it wouldnt matter if Tiger Woods was in it or not...

yes I get behind good golf, I don't watch golf to see guys walk up and down the fairways or to see the crowds. I watch to see guys play great shots in tough conditions. I watch to see guy play courses I have played before. I watch and enjoy when the event turns for the winner. I'm looking to see what they are wearing. I watch beau se I love the game. The tour has never been about one guy for me. I would have loved to see a rival to Tiger but it never happened. hopefully I'll see a rival to Rors but if I don't I'll still watch as I have for most of my life.

And it's sad because you are an old school ball striker that understands the game and its ebs n flow. If an old dog like you,that can appreciate the sound of a well struct ball, does look beyond Tiger. Then it saddens me cuz I think to know I can talk to someone that appreciates the game and not just one guy.

i too love watching great golf. and for me, that's typically enough to keep me interested. but i think there is a great element when there is a star in contention. and right now, rory is golf's only star with any kind of chance to win each week. the tour wants spieth to be a star. reed wants to be a star, but his mouth is too much of a liability for the tour to prop him up (and he may be a cheater to boot). phil's over it. bubba's faith is off-putting to many, as is some of his on-course attitude. to me, the best prospect we have is rickie fowler. the kid can play, he has a style that sets him apart, and he's very relatable to a younger demographic.

so yes, i think without tiger, golf is less exciting for average viewers.

So therefore it wouldnt matter if Tiger Woods was in it or not...

If he was in contention yes it would matter, but it's not just Tiger. If Rory, Tiger, Freddie Couples, ZJ or a couple other players are playing well in a tournament I'm more inclined to invest my afternoon into the golf. Just like with football and baseball, I have my teams/players that I enjoy watching play. When those teams/players aren't playing or aren't in contention, I still like the sports, but I'm not as invested in watching. Which means I often channel surf switching back and forth, rather than keeping it on golf the entire afternoon.

And it's sad because you are an old school ball striker that understands the game and its ebs n flow. If an old dog like you,that can appreciate the sound of a well struct ball, does look beyond Tiger. Then it saddens me cuz I think to know I can talk to someone that appreciates the game and not just one guy.

There is a huge difference between being fan of professional golf and being a fan of the game itself.

Sometimes it just takes a long time to get to the same place. :alien2:

I enjoy watching good shots but a little star power does enhance the viewing experience. In my view there are enough young stars out there today, Spieth, Reed, Fowler, etc to draw you in. My biggest issue is that outside the majors and significant tournaments I just don't have the same level of interest in watching.

i too love watching great golf. and for me, that's typically enough to keep me interested. but i think there is a great element when there is a star in contention. and right now, rory is golf's only star with any kind of chance to win each week. the tour wants spieth to be a star. reed wants to be a star, but his mouth is too much of a liability for the tour to prop him up (and he may be a cheater to boot). phil's over it. bubba's faith is off-putting to many, as is some of his on-course attitude. to me, the best prospect we have is rickie fowler. the kid can play, he has a style that sets him apart, and he's very relatable to a younger demographic.

so yes, i think without tiger, golf is less exciting for average viewers.

im not sure how you think Rory is the other star. He is out in front but not even close to the only star on tour.

And based on on what you said, if TW comes back strong you're ok with a wife cheating, no autograph signing, fbomb dropping, do as I as say when I say guy as the tours posters boy. Reed shows heart on the course, Jordan golfs his ball, bubba is an acquired taste but still sells tickets because when he is on is hard to beat.

I want and tw to do well, because he is fun to watch. But he is not the end all and be all for the tour any longer and hasn't been for quite some time, deposits what cbs and TGC might report.

Pro golf is the pinnacle of our game, I don't see a difference. Fans of the game are typically fans of the top level people in the game. Flag foot players don't just follow flag football, they live all things football. Pickup game guys at the local gym don't travel to local gyms to shoot hoops, they live hoops. The same holds true for fans of the game of golf.theu watch the best because they want to see what is possible and share some bond with the games best.
There is a huge difference between being fan of professional golf and being a fan of the game itself.

Back