Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Update - THP Review can be found here.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/matrix-speed-rulz-golf-shaft-review/

Matrix has sent the entire SpeedRulz lineup (A type, B type, and C type) for review. This thread will serve as conversation while the review is being conducted using both on course results and launch monitor information. With the unique variations to each shaft despite a very similar look, it should make for very subjective results. The shafts are all 60X, and tipped with Callaway adapters - It will be noted which Callaway driver is utilized for reference purposes.

Early details from Matrix were provided in an interview conducted by THP earlier this fall. That information can be found here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/matrix-speedrulz-thp-technology-interview/

Design Characteristics

A-Type: Stable El profile, slightly firmer in the mid section, providing great feel with corresponding stability in a mid spinning, mid/high launching profile. (50g,60g,70g)
B-Type: Counterbalanced/Back-weighted profile featuring mid spinning, mid launching playability for heavier heads and longer builds. Consistently smooth El profile is slightly stiffer in the mid and butt sections. (60g,70g)
C-Type: Smooth, balanced, lower spinning and extremely stable profile featuring mid/lower launching trajectory with butt section. (60g,70g,80g)

In Hand Photos

20151102_150444-X2.jpg

20151102_150451-X2.jpg

20151102_150346-X2.jpg

20151102_150401-X2.jpg

20151102_150417-X2.jpg

20151102_150335-X2.jpg

20151102_150311-X2.jpg

20151102_150609-X2.jpg

20151102_150521-X2.jpg

20151102_150544-X2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely love that they sent all 3 types. Should help give a good snapshot of what each provides.

They look sweet Danny, looking forward to more thoughts on your end

I think there is big value in uniformity. It takes away the preference like we've seen in years past where maybe someone like the look of a white shaft and acquires the white tie, even though the profile of the red tie may have been more suitable. Especially for fitters, this takes visual preference out of the equation and allows the golfer to let the results dictate preference.

For me, I'm already presuming my preference will be towards the C-Type to reduce a bit of spin, but i am excited to see how the transition from the A-Type into the counterbalanced B-Type, and then finally into the more stout C-Type is experienced. I'll be including a couple other golfers into this review as I have a few Callaway playing friends, and will report my findings with them as we spend time on the range.

Sounds excellent Dan, really looking forward to your feedback

YES! I cannot freaking wait to read more.

YES! I cannot freaking wait to read more.

I'm pretty excited myself. Mangsa is a cool technology that is unique to the touch and visually interesting. I can't speak much for their double bias wrap design on the tip section, but I've spent extensive time with the MFS series, and I hold the TPHDe line near and dear to my heart.... All of these elements lead to HIGH expectations for Speed Rulz.

..and man, I am so excited they sent 60x. Talk about the perfect profile for a driver (for me).

I like the looks. Excited to see what comes of this review. Have had some success with the white tie so these are intriguing to me

Definitely interesting. I really like the black glossy carbon fiber finish throughout the line. A or B type in 60g sounds right up my alley!

I know the two aren't directly related, but wow. The pairing of the Speed Rulz and the Callaway 816 DBD is basically perfect. Black with red accents... and the lower section being matte with the crown being matte... It's like it was intentional.

Very cool profiles for each shaft - I love Matrix shafts - hope you can compare these to a Red Tie!

Very cool Dan, love that they sent all 3 profiles so you can really dig in and see what the differences are. Looking forward to seeing what comes of this and your results.

I love the look of these. Definitely interested in trying them out!

Nice graphics on these beauties. I am interested to reading more on these shaft options.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Want to see what it looks like when an AMart hits a B-Type on a DBD?

#LongerThanHisGamer
#MaybeTooStiff
#ATypeWouldBeMoreSuitable

#LongerThanHisGamer
#MaybeTooStiff

I like how he looks down at the club after hitting it... like he had no idea it was the dbd or just in disbelief lol

I took to the course tonight and hit the B-Type in the 2015 Callaway DBD (set to 8 degrees) alongside the C-Type in the 2016 Callaway DBD (set to 8 degrees). I have a very small sample size to share from, as I was only able to hit the B-Type 3 times and the C-Type four times. Certainly there will be more time to share thoughts on all three shafts, but I wanted to get some early thoughts on at least part of the lineup.

I found both shafts to be very stable throughout the swing, and while I found the overall profile of the C-Type + 2016 DBD to be a bit lighter throughout the swing, the B-Type profile was exceptionally balanced which I quite enjoyed.

Flight Reporting: The B-type launched a couple of degrees higher (guesstimation) with a slightly more notable rising arc
Flight Thoughts: I'll probably leave the B-type at 8 degrees, but will certainly consider increasing the loft of the C-type setup to 9 degrees as I feel like I could get some improved carry numbers. I found the flighting of both to appear to be solid on descent angle, as I normally see my ball fall out of the sky... In this case, it fell forward suggesting my descent is a bit more ideal.

Carry Reporting: On average, the C-Type carried about 5-10 yards further
Carry Thoughts: I'll take a couple days before commenting on carry quality, but I like what I am seeing. No numbers to back it up.

Accuracy Reporting: The B-Type offered a fairly marginal draw off the center target line. The C-Type was a mixture of dead straight to a very slight draw.
Accuracy Thoughts: It could be a reflection of the clubs used, but I saw very straight flighting out of the C-Type. For the B-Type, there was still a very controlled draw represented, however I'd prefer to see that ironed out and a bit straighter moving forward. Certainly food for thought.

It was an enjoyable experience this evening and I am happy to see my efforts reflect a lot of what is being described. After being extremely pessimistic about the idea of a counter balanced shaft profile, I am really opening my mind to the potential for this profile moving forward. I will circle back to answer any questions, and will try to have another update soon that includes the A-Type.

Good stuff so far Dan, I've only tried out 2 counter balanced shafts before and never got along with either. The A shaft I'm thinking will be the one best suited for me and looking forward to your thoughts.

#LongerThanHisGamer
#MaybeTooStiff

I will say I hit that one straight-er than normal! X-flex aside, the B-type felt quite nice. Obviously the set up is not ideal for me but I would like to give the A-type a go. I put a good (for me) swing on it and was rewarded with a good result!

Now, to comment on swing much more suited to the x-flex + DBD set up. It is very interesting to watch a noticeable difference occur between 2 shots. As Canadan described, the c-type produced a lower, flatter ball flight. The B-type produced a flight I'm more accustomed to seeing from Canadan. We both agreed that the drives from the C-type resulted in a ball that seem to "float or hang" in the air. We speculated that the flatter trajectory and shallower descent angle may be the cause and were intrigued to learn more.

I like how he looks down at the club after hitting it... like he had no idea it was the dbd or just in disbelief lol

The disbelief was from the result! I knew what I was getting myself into, lol.

I took to the course tonight and hit the B-Type in the 2015 Callaway DBD (set to 8 degrees) alongside the C-Type in the 2016 Callaway DBD (set to 8 degrees). I have a very small sample size to share from, as I was only able to hit the B-Type 3 times and the C-Type four times. Certainly there will be more time to share thoughts on all three shafts, but I wanted to get some early thoughts on at least part of the lineup.

I found both shafts to be very stable throughout the swing, and while I found the overall profile of the C-Type + 2016 DBD to be a bit lighter throughout the swing, the B-Type profile was exceptionally balanced which I quite enjoyed.

Flight Reporting: The B-type launched a couple of degrees higher (guesstimation) with a slightly more notable rising arc
Flight Thoughts: I'll probably leave the B-type at 8 degrees, but will certainly consider increasing the loft of the C-type setup to 9 degrees as I feel like I could get some improved carry numbers. I found the flighting of both to appear to be solid on descent angle, as I normally see my ball fall out of the sky... In this case, it fell forward suggesting my descent is a bit more ideal.

Carry Reporting: On average, the C-Type carried about 5-10 yards further
Carry Thoughts: I'll take a couple days before commenting on carry quality, but I like what I am seeing. No numbers to back it up.

Accuracy Reporting: The B-Type offered a fairly marginal draw off the center target line. The C-Type was a mixture of dead straight to a very slight draw.
Accuracy Thoughts: It could be a reflection of the clubs used, but I saw very straight flighting out of the C-Type. For the B-Type, there was still a very controlled draw represented, however I'd prefer to see that ironed out and a bit straighter moving forward. Certainly food for thought.

It was an enjoyable experience this evening and I am happy to see my efforts reflect a lot of what is being described. After being extremely pessimistic about the idea of a counter balanced shaft profile, I am really opening my mind to the potential for this profile moving forward. I will circle back to answer any questions, and will try to have another update soon that includes the A-Type.

Wanted to bump this for the morning crownd. Early thoughts on some VERY cool shafts from Matrix.

Good stuff so far, Dan. The C-type sounds really interesting.

I spent the weekend with mostly the C-Type Speed Rulz and am certain it's the most ideal of the group for me personally. While the review is rarely geared towards what works best for me, I am very appreciative of Matrix sending the full lineup so I can not only experience the difference, but apply a shaft that I could see myself gaming for some time.

It's been paired with the 816 DBD from Callaway, and my numbers are on the "great" side of my personal spectrum. What I love about the C-Type are the following attributes;

- First, the flight is very much mid, but for me, lower than I am used to seeing. I was able to adjust the settings on my DBD to play at 9* because I had room to improve my launch angle.... Which isn't a common experience.
- Second, the spin (not confirmed) has to be solid. One of the most telling visuals that give me that assumption, is the descent. Usually, my descent is in the mid to high 40s, and essentially plummets downward after peak. In the case of the C-type offering, I am seeing a much better fall forward, which will net me more yards along with a better chance for roll.

I spent some time with the B-Type as well, and I love the balance throughout the shaft with that setup. To me, it plays as though it were five or ten grams heavier, and the swing just seems to remain connected throughout. Flighting for me is a solid couple degrees higher than the C-Type, but the distance loss isn't massive (personally). I had it set up with Tadashi for a round yesterday, and he was blistering mid launch drives all day. Hopefully he'll get a chance to weigh in.

Jman took some time with the A-Type, but after an adapter fail we're going to have to do some work before sharing full thoughts on it. He probably has a couple tidbits to share in the interim.

I'm liking the sounds of the "B". A tad heavier is a plus for me personally.

I spent the weekend with mostly the C-Type Speed Rulz and am certain it's the most ideal of the group for me personally. While the review is rarely geared towards what works best for me, I am very appreciative of Matrix sending the full lineup so I can not only experience the difference, but apply a shaft that I could see myself gaming for some time.

It's been paired with the 816 DBD from Callaway, and my numbers are on the "great" side of my personal spectrum. What I love about the C-Type are the following attributes;

- First, the flight is very much mid, but for me, lower than I am used to seeing. I was able to adjust the settings on my DBD to play at 9* because I had room to improve my launch angle.... Which isn't a common experience.
- Second, the spin (not confirmed) has to be solid. One of the most telling visuals that give me that assumption, is the descent. Usually, my descent is in the mid to high 40s, and essentially plummets downward after peak. In the case of the C-type offering, I am seeing a much better fall forward, which will net me more yards along with a better chance for roll.

I spent some time with the B-Type as well, and I love the balance throughout the shaft with that setup. To me, it plays as though it were five or ten grams heavier, and the swing just seems to remain connected throughout. Flighting for me is a solid couple degrees higher than the C-Type, but the distance loss isn't massive (personally). I had it set up with Tadashi for a round yesterday, and he was blistering mid launch drives all day. Hopefully he'll get a chance to weigh in.

Jman took some time with the A-Type, but after an adapter fail we're going to have to do some work before sharing full thoughts on it. He probably has a couple tidbits to share in the interim.

Redonkulous = Canadan with this shaft in a DBD.

Back