Have you used a passport to golf?

Used to travel extensively in last job and most notable played half dozen nice courses in Philippines, few in UK, Costa Rica & El Salvador. Personally, played in US in Palm Springs, Florida, TX & Myrtle Beach. Dream is to someday get to play in Ireland.

Just Mexico.

I was at sea or stationed overseas for almost 16 of 20 years in the Navy.

My clubs have been to 29 countries.

I played a course with zero grass and oil sand greens in West Africa. You didn't want to touch the ball after putting, my caddie would wipe it down but it was still grimy.....lol. I had about 40-50 young local kids following me thinking I was some sort of famous tour pro.

I played a course right in the middle of Alexandria Egypt where the city flooded the course ditches every day at 1 o'clock with greywater for irrigation........phheeeew!

My shipmates and I showed up at a course just outside of Esbjerg Denmark one morning only to find out that it closed for maintenance day. But, the Pro/Greens keeper's wife insisted that we stay for breakfast. She stuffed us full, and her husband told us to go play all we wanted. The husband came out onto the course at hole 7 with more snacks. I will never forget how nice they were. The crazy thing about it, none of us knew what the other was saying because of the language barrier. I will never forget that day, and how nice they were to us. We all chipped in and sent them flowers along with some memorabilia from the ship.

I played many times at the Naval Station at Guantanamo Bay Cuba. Fidel Castro had cut the water off to the base many years before and the course was basically just fairways of rocks and stones. You would carry a piece of "astroturf" to hit off all the way around. A perfect drive down the middle would often ricochet straight back at you or dead straight out to "who knows" where. Fun times!

I was sent to the USS Holland (Submarine Tender) in Holy Loch Scotland back in the 1980's for 3 weeks to assist with the diesel generator overhauls. I met a really nice civilian worker who was raised in the area and he saw that I was crazy about golf. He and I got long great and the golf talk often distracted us both from our work. My last week on the overhaul, he came up to me and told me that the Chief Engineer was giving me 2 days off to go play golf with him. He asked me if I minded a 3 hour train ride to St. Andrews "ta goff". I thought he was just poking fun at me until I saw the Chief engineer wink at me and nod. I ended up using his brothers clubs and had the time of my life. I shot a 87 and my friend shot a really nice 76. We got pretty drunk with our caddies afterwards. The local folks were really nice. If any of you ever get a chance to go to St. Andrews........go!

I played a round of golf after midnight at a course about 25 minutes outside of Keflavik Iceland (Reykjavík Golf Club) after I got off my shift during a diesel overhaul. We putted out on the 18th at about 4:45 in the morning.

Yes, for several years, on our annual winter golf get away to the Orlando area.

I was at sea or stationed overseas for almost 16 of 20 years in the Navy.

My clubs have been to 29 countries.
Interesting read.

I had a buddy who had 22 different countries stamps in his passport. I asked him where in his opinion was the most beautiful place in the world. He stated Banff, Alberta.

As a well traveled individual, obviously. I'm curious what your opinion of the most beautiful place is from your travels?
Cheers.

Swyped while swerving on my S6 edge

Interesting read.

I had a buddy who had 22 different countries stamps in his passport. I asked him where in his opinion was the most beautiful place in the world. He stated Banff, Alberta.

As a well traveled individual, obviously. I'm curious what your opinion of the most beautiful place is from your travels?
Cheers.

Swyped while swerving on my S6 edge

We transited through the fjords of Norway on the USS Spartanburg County LST-1192, in 1987. It was breathtaking, and the ship was feeling very small under my feet the entire route. It would hurt my neck to look at the tops of the fjords for very long.

Iceland was beautiful everywheres. The geysers and hot springs were pretty neat. Seeing people swimming in the hot springs on a 32 degree day was fun. Midnight golfing...... I was giggling the entire 18 holes when we played.

Many of the old fishing towns in Newfoundland Canada were quite beautiful in a funny way. Never saw so many purple, lime green, and pink houses. Some of the nicest people I have spent time around. My family is from there. Dominion Ale is still my favorite brew today.

Many of the historical areas in Israel where quite beautiful.

The people I met in most of the West African countries were amazingly nice to us Navy guys. Most of these countries are not pretty, but I don't think I have ever met a more polite and friendly people anywhere I have been. Kinda broke my heart to see Liberia go all to hell.

South America had many beautiful areas in Brazil, Argentina, and Chile.

The Acropolis and Parthenon sites in Greece were amazing to me.

Too many more for me to list.

Back