Six4three5 is going to Oak Hill East!

Six4three5

Tour Star...Layin' Up!
Reaction score
Handicap
2.5 GHIN
Well guys, thanks to my AMAZING fiance and her idea of the perfect wedding present, I'll be teeing it up at Oak Hill East. My obsession with this course goes back to the 2003 PGA Championship where Shaun Micheel won with the amazing 7 iron shot on 18. And it was only fueled even more when I got back there for the 2013 PGA Championship and I was even more into golf. Amanda emailed my instructor to get the round setup for me. I'll be teeing it up there on Thursday September 10th the day before I leave for #TheGauntlet, talk about an amazing weekend of golf!!! I figured I would create this thread and share my experience of the amazing course. Ever since being on the grounds there and walking with pros I've wanted nothing more than to tee it up there. The place is absolutely breath taking, you feel as if the ground your walking on his hallow. I'm not sure I'll ever get another opportunity to do so, so I'll be taking a ton of pictures and I'll share it with my THP family!

First I just want to take a second and say thank you to my amazing fiance and fantastic instructor/coach for making today possible. This place is simply breath taking. As soon as you pull into the long drive way and see the course it gives you goose bumps. The drive in is along the 8th hole of the east course and you can already tell the course is perfect. Not a blade of grass out of place and the maintenance guys hard at work. You notice the fairways lined by the tall oak trees and the place really does have a magical feel. Pulling in you're directed to the bag drop where a staff member greets you with a smile and asks for your name and tee time and politely takes your bag. Once he found out I was a guest he took my bag and told me where it'd be waiting for me. As I reached for my wallet he said to me "no thank you Mr. Sheflin, your money is no good here. Go get your cleats on and head over to the range to get warmed up" with a smile. Parked the car got the shoes on and headed over to the range to get warmed up. Then after getting loose went into the pro shop to get squared aware and setup for the round. One thing I want to note is not once did I feel out of place or like I didn't belong. The staff was as friendly as can be and always referred to me as Mr. Sheflin which was kind of weird as they were all older than me. All were very welcoming and wanted to make sure every need of mine was met. After getting squared away in the pro shop Brian and I got setup with our caddy, Steve. He carried both bags all day and did so with a smile. One thing I want to note also at the end of the round when I tried to tip him he refused. He said that "you two didn't make me work hard enough to earn a tip it was a very easy day for me" again with a smile. He said he didn't like taking tips from guests as he likes to have them just enjoy the experience and not worry about the money or what is perceived as what people are supposed to do. While playing Brian and I caught up to 2 foursomes of all members and every single one of them were awesome. Both groups let us play through and both groups chatted with us for a couple of minutes and made sure I was having a good time and congratulated me on getting married it was awesome to see how nice they were and not have that stereotypical private club attitude. I ended up carding a 5 over par 75 from the blue tees. The course is very demanding but definitely score-able. I had 5 bogeys and 13 pars. Warming up my driver was pretty bad so I elected to go 5 wood of the tee quite a bit to play from the short stuff as the rough is very unforgiving. Everything was in amazing condition, tee boxes, fairways, sand traps, greens, all amazing. It was also very humbling to play the same holes I got to watch the pros play. Remembering where some of them were hitting the ball from the tee boxes they were playing was eye opening. It really shows how much of a different level they play on. We ended up playing in 3 hours and 50 minutes but it felt like it was about an hour. I was trying to focus on playing well but it was damn near impossible when you just stand anywhere on the course and look around taking it all in. Standing on the same tee boxes that Jack, Arnold, Lee, and all the greats did is very humbling. You can really envision the fairways being lined with people and where the grandstands were just envisioning all the fans it was like nothing else. I know this was a bit of a ramble but trying to put into words something you've wanted to do as badly as I wanted to play here is really tough. I'll try and let the pictures speak for me and I promise you, the pictures DO NOT do this place justice.

Last edited:
Entrance Gate

Front of the club house

Range

Hole #1 "Challenge"

Hole #2 "Breather"

Hole #3 "The Pines"

Hole #4 The High and Mighty

Hole #5 "Double Trouble"

Hole #6 "Pin Point"

Hole #7 "Creek's Elbow"

Hole #8 "Wayside"

Hole #9 "Needle's Eye"

Last edited:
Short game area behind the club house

Hole #10 "Council Grove"

Hole #11 "Waterfall"

Hole #12 "Leaning Oak"

Hole #13 "Hill of Fame"

Hole #14 "Bunker Hill"

Hole #15 "The Plateau"

Hole #16 "Straight Away"

Hole #17 "Twin Tees"

Hole #18 "Goin' Home"

Did my best Shaun Micheel impression here. It was really neat to try and live that moment in my head. Probably one of my best shots of the day here into the 18th from pretty far out.

Club house from the 18th Green.

View back into the course before walking off the 18th.

Gate leaving such an amazing place.

Yardage Book, Bag Tag, Scorecard

Last edited:
Subscribed! Congrats!!

JM

Hit'em well buddy.

Oh hell ya! Enjoy dude!

That's awesome!

I'll share one bit of advice if I may...

Keep her around!!!

Seeing your excitement when we talked about this in July was cool. Being a wnyer I am jealous of you but at the same time am excited for you to get to fulfill this dream. Will be following this one.

Nice dude! We had this convo in myrtle... amanda is a keeper for sure :) have fun!

How cool is that!

I can't wait to hear first hand Friday the 11th how your round went!

That's awesome Jimmy. Can't wait to follow along.

Last edited:
That's awesome Jimmy. Definitely a keeper you have there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very awesome buddy! Enjoy!!!

Very jealous and excited for you buddy.

Like emart, I remember your excitement when you told us in July. This thread, and your experience will be a blast to follow.

I am jealous buddy and Amanda is awesome!! Enjoy and can't wait to see pictures

Enjoy it man. Not only is it just beautiful, but the course is actually pretty score-able and VERY enjoyable to play. I'll be able to play it in October this year again, but you having the opportunity to play it in early September will be freaking awesome.

That's awesome, Jimmy! Can't wait to see the pics and hear about your round. Oh, and does she have a sister? Asking for a friend

That's awesome, Jimmy! Can't wait to see the pics and hear about your round. Oh, and does she have a sister? Asking for a friend

Haha actually she does! But unfortunately her sister is engaged! :alien:

Enjoy it man. Not only is it just beautiful, but the course is actually pretty score-able and VERY enjoyable to play. I'll be able to play it in October this year again, but you having the opportunity to play it in early September will be freaking awesome.

Thanks dude I'm freaking pumped!

Congrats and enjoy the experience. Can't wait to follow along.

This is sooo awesome Jimmy! I can't wait for the updates and am very jealous of you. Walking that course in 2013 was something else, such an incredible course.

Back