How do you feel about the driving range Vs. Just playing for practice?

ttucliffhanger

2024 Bag Boy Championship - Aqua Men
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I personally hate going to the driving range! I don't hit balls before my round bc I'm the past I have always played worse! Lol. I would rather play then do the driving range!
What are your experiences with driving range Vs. Just playing for practice?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I feel that every round played is practice towards a THP event!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's kind of a tradeoff. The range is there to work on the heavy stuff. The course is there to work on the touch. Don't flip flop the two, it usually just frustrates you

I feel that every round played is practice towards a THP event!!

Amen to that!

It's kind of a tradeoff. The range is there to work on the heavy stuff. The course is there to work on the touch. Don't flip flop the two, it usually just frustrates you
That's kind of the way I feel. I feel like I can get more of a feel for things for just playing

Come on everyone. Help me get 10 replies and I want to see how everyone else feels about it

I only prefer ranges with real grass... work on solid shots starting with wedge working to driver... same routine at course if offered. I always finish with about 20 putts on practice green.

Me too! I hate range matts! Sometimes I feel like I wasted all my good shots, haha

I'm a range rat and it's easier on my time during the week to drive up the street and hit balls while working on my game for an hour or two than go play 9 or 18 and just play bad golf if I'm in a rut or not know what game is going to the course.

Before a round I do my best to get there early enough to get at least 20 mins of warmup time

10 times out of 10 I choose playing a round over heading to the range.

I'm a range rat and it's easier on my time during the week to drive up the street and hit balls while working on my game for an hour or two than go play 9 or 18 and just play bad golf if I'm in a rut or not know what game is going to the course.

Before a round I do my best to get there early enough to get at least 20 mins of warmup time
Nice! Wish I had the time to spend through the week. I'd be shooting in the low 70's I'm certain if I could go a few times a week.

10 times out of 10 I choose playing a round over heading to the range.
All I can say is YUP!!!

I don't consider myself a range rat, but I'd rather put in a couple range sessions before spending my $$ playing unprepared golf. Pre-Ambition I did go to the range very regularly. Problem is the range I go to can't simulate pressure situations or bad weather (hitting area is covered). If I manage to get into an event my prep work will be a little different and may try and get more rounds in rather than practice.

I enjoy going to the range but I like to pick on one thing to work on, if I just go to beat balls it doesn't help.

No range for me unless it is pouring buckets on the course

THP Represent!

Not a fan of the driving range. When playing by myself and the course is pretty open, I will hit / chip / putt some extra balls to work on some things.

I'm a range rat, but I still enjoy practicing on the course as well. I think it's just easier and more convenient to hit the range and do so several days a week for hours at a time.

Nice! Wish I had the time to spend through the week. I'd be shooting in the low 70's I'm certain if I could go a few times a week.

I'm less than 2 miles from my range so i go there right after work usually and in an hour or so i can in some work or workout issues from the course.

I don't consider myself a range rat, but I'd rather put in a couple range sessions before spending my $$ playing unprepared golf. Pre-Ambition I did go to the range very regularly. Problem is the range I go to can't simulate pressure situations or bad weather (hitting area is covered). If I manage to get into an event my prep work will be a little different and may try and get more rounds in rather than practice.

I hate going to the course and being out of whack and I'm trying not to play golf swing on the course. When i do things go downhill quickly.

Guess I'm a little different than most......I love camping out on my courses practice range hitting balls. If I'm struggling with my swing I may hit 3-4 buckets of balls. If I'm swinging well I will still get to the course early enough before a round to hit 1/2 bucket so I'm loosened up. If I'm struggling I do not like working on my swing during a round. Seems inevitably there will be groups pushing me from behind when I would like to hit a couple extra balls.

I always try to get to the course early to "warm up" and hit balls. I do think the range does help me on some things but there are times where I'll skip the range and go play and practice that way. Range work doesn't always translate to the course

I try to hit the range more than I play and I always try to hit some before I play, it help get the body turning and loose.

Driving ranges bore me. I usually hit a few balls and just end up standing there watching others with their own follies. It's kind of like watching the boat ramp follies down at the Lynnhaven public boat ramp. You see some crazy things going on.

Having a real target with trees and hazards keeps me stimulated.

I have actually progressed faster in my return to the game by playing late 9's and having the back of the course to myself.

Last edited:
I think there are pros to both and it depends on what you want to practice and focus on.

Range to work on a swing thought on course to hit a certain ahot or from a certain lie

Both can work, but I'm one who has a hard time keeping my focus on the range for some reason if I hit anything more than a small bucket most of the time. Same with chipping and putting. I've got that practice green down.
So I do both but lean toward a quick warm up at the range then going on the course when it's not too busy and practicing out there.

I like the driving range to ingrain movements and work on specific things, but I notice my biggest ball striking gains come from getting out on the course.

Back