Iron covers. Do they slow down the game?

Iron covers. Do they slow down the game?

• Of course, only 50 index hacks use them.

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • No way! I have no problem with people protecting their gear.

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • Maybe, or I really don't care one way or the other.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Is this real life?

Votes: 6 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it's great for forged irons, but any other type I might wonder why, usually the type that will not hit from the potentially damaging lies.(I agree with, unless you are sponsored) I play with a few that has it and they never slowed them down though.

It is the 5-6 practice swing guy that really bothers me.

a few guys i play with use them on a regular basis and do not slow things down.

for those that think they slow things down, can you explain how?

I can't see them slowing the game down. I don't use them but don't see any difference with me wiping a club off. Adding a few seconds won't kill the round.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Slow is slow. Take away the iron covers and a slow player will find another area to be slow in.

One important thing with iron covers is to have a routine. Put the iron cover in the same spot each time so it's a quick grab, put on and go. Half the time, if I'm not driving, I grab the cover, jump in the cart, put it on while riding and put the club away at the next stop.

I play with a guy every now and again who is not only habitually late, but his pre-shot routine for EVERY shot is at a minimum 30 seconds. He is, by far, the slowest person I have ever played golf with.

I think it's great for forged irons, but any other type I might wonder why, usually the type that will not hit from the potentially damaging lies.(I agree with, unless you are sponsored) I play with a few that has it and they never slowed them down though.

It is the 5-6 practice swing guy that really bothers me.

Ditto this with the practice swings! Or guys trying get the line on the ball "straight" multiple times. One of multiple bad habits seen on tv. Maybe I should go to the rant thread....

Maybe I play with the wrong guys but those that I play with that use irons covers is like watching Ralphie's little brother in A Christmas Story getting dressed up in his winter gear. So slow and deliberate from taking it off and fumbling it 2 or 3 times before getting it to balance just right on their bag before walking to their ball to trying to figure out how to slide it back on and making a production of it. It doesn't bother me, i'm just out to enjoy the day but in my experience it does slow things down with the guys I golf with.

I dont think they do. I use them and it only takes a few seconds to get them on and off. Plus with a 4 wheel cart i can push it with my belly while putting my head cover on and keep up with my playing partners.

Maybe I play with the wrong guys but those that I play with that use irons covers is like watching Ralphie's little brother in A Christmas Story getting dressed up in his winter gear. So slow and deliberate from taking it off and fumbling it 2 or 3 times before getting it to balance just right on their bag before walking to their ball to trying to figure out how to slide it back on and making a production of it. It doesn't bother me, i'm just out to enjoy the day but in my experience it does slow things down with the guys I golf with.

It MUST be them. I use them and can play a round in 2.5 hrs walking

For me slow players are slow players . They think slow, walk slow and do everything slow. If a slow players uses iron covers then they will slow him down further.

If a player who maintains a solid pace uses covers I don't even notice. It's not the covers, it's the player.

I use neoprene iron covers. It takes me about a second to remove and replace, and I'm usually doing it as I'm walking to the ball, and then walking back to my bag. So no real net time added to the round.

I answered maybe, but the more accurate response is 'it depends." If it's a 12-capper then he can do anything he wants to do. But if he's a 36 capper then maybe he should remove them to lessen the fussing while he's setting up his shot .

If they slow you down then you're using them wrong...

That's true but the guys that are slow don't realize they are slow so they would not realize iron covers are slowing them down either.

I think if you use iron covers you should forced to also use a 9 wood :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me slow players are slow players . They think slow, walk slow and do everything slow. If a slow players uses iron covers then they will slow him down further.

If a player who maintains a solid pace uses covers I don't even notice. It's not the covers, it's the player.

This was the point I was trying to make in my experience with the guys that I play with that use irons covers. They're slow in everything thing they do from lining up putts, walking away from where they just hot the ball from (2 or 3 practice swings after the fact to try and figure out where it all went wrong), to just even putting their club back in the bag. EVERYTHING is a project.

We all replace our hybrid covers, wood covers, and putter covers don't we?

Why are we complaining about iron covers?

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

That's true but the guys that are slow don't realize they are slow so they would not realize iron covers are slowing them down either.

I think if you use iron covers you should forced to also use a 9 wood :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already have a 7 wood so maybe I need a 9 wood too :)

These are the ones I use. They are easy to get on/off. They are cheap. And they last forever I think.
I have had the same pair for about 7 or 8 years.

t_18798.jpg

I couldn't care less about people using iron covers but of course they take longer. The effect could be nominal, of course.

My semi-regular playing partner doesn't use headcovers during play on his woods nor putter. He plops his club back into the bag and is usually sitting in the cart before my club with headcover is back in the bag, and I'm hurrying.

So add 5, 6, 7 more clubs to the process and of course it's more time. Still, the few who I've played with who've used iron covers also happened to be pretty fast players so it made little difference.

I honestly never thought about it until this thread, lol... My personal solution:

4b6d9c741818e260e44726fd080e0c31.jpg

To the players that play slow because they are using iron head covers, I have to wonder "what kind are they using"....I myself have used (and sell) the neoprene type covers, which just slide on and slide off and protect my clubs as they are intended to do. Never once has anyone complained that I was slow, because I'm not....it takes no more that 1-2 seconds to slide off and slip it in your pocket. When you finish hitting, slip it back on. I just don't see what the deal is unless you just don't use or like them period. I value my clubs because they aren't cheap and I'll gladly take the extra 1-2 seconds to protect them however I can.

Back