Wilson-Staff FG Tour F5 Irons - THP Review Thread

Tons of thoughts to come to this thread in the coming days. Put these in the bag for the weekend, and without a doubt, I was impressed.

I can attest to this, one of the best/ballsiest golf shots I've seen was made with this 8i

Any thoughts on a combo set with these and the V4? I'm thinking 7-pw in V4 and 3-6 in the F5. I'd like to hear your thoughts whether positively or negatively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any thoughts on a combo set with these and the V4? I'm thinking 7-pw in V4 and 3-6 in the F5. I'd like to hear your thoughts whether positively or negatively.

I don't see anything gained by having the V4 in the 7-P other than saying one has V4 in the 7-P.

I don't see anything gained by having the V4 in the 7-P other than saying one has V4 in the 7-P.

Just thinking that the size profile of the short irons in the F5 is a little bigger than I typically like

Just thinking that the size profile of the short irons in the F5 is a little bigger than I typically like

They were for me too, slightly larger than previous sets. However, I crushed these long irons.

First time I've taken long irons off the tee vs a hybrid and had great success.

Yes the long irons are awesome as are the short irons they are just bigger than I'm used to. The v4 size is perfect

You won't gain any performance with the V4s, but in my opinion it's more important that you like what you're looking down at. To me, the different finish would bug me too much to do it.
If all that mattered was launch and distance we should all be playing D200s.

Yes the long irons are awesome as are the short irons they are just bigger than I'm used to. The v4 size is perfect

To be fair, the 100s make everything look big haha

I took a few cuts with these this weekend and I am sold. Great looking head and top line. And they absolutely laughed the ball with a great click at impact. My favorite Wilson irons to date in recent years.

Pumped people are getting to see what I did for the homepage review. They're good.

Pumped people are getting to see what I did for the homepage review. They're good.

In side by side testing the F5's go about 3-4 yards longer per club than the V4's

In side by side testing the F5's go about 3-4 yards longer per club than the V4's

Nice dude! Distance is always one that will vary with the user depending on swing and fit. That said they're considerably lower spinning and higher launching than the V4 so they've definitely got the ability to be longer for most.

You won't gain any performance with the V4s, but in my opinion it's more important that you like what you're looking down at. To me, the different finish would bug me too much to do it.
If all that mattered was launch and distance we should all be playing C200s.

Fixt it for you :D

Definitely installing the DG Pro's in these this week. Will make for a bit of fun after I finish the G review and before I go back to my beloved CF16's.

So, I put these in to play last weekend at the THP Kickoff Classic. I played my practice round with my SLDR irons, then Saturday morning tested these out on the range and immediately knew I would be gaming them. It didnt take long to realize that these would be quite easy for me to game.

First off, the satin finish on these is phenomenal. The sole of the club is not overly wide like some in-hand pictures would suggest, and the top line on these is perfect. The leading edge of the F5 irons is slightly rounded, and I found that turf interaction with these was solid. Very easy for me, sometimes a steep swinger, to make contact with the ball and cut through the turf for a nice little divot.

A few things that stood out to me quickly;

1. Ball flight. Ball got up in a hurry and gave me a nice high ball flight. That is something that typically I do not see with irons. A nice high shot that would be perfect for hitting longer irons in to greens.
2. Forgiveness across the face of the irons. Slightly on the heel or out on the toe, the ball traveled on the intended pathline that I wanted, without sacrificing distance or accuracy.

These are equipped with the Kuro Kage graphite iron shafts, Regular flex. Immediately I figured I woud reshaft them, but as I played with these, I found that I liked the softness of the shaft and how smooth it was during the swing. I dont feel that I sacrifice anything by gaming the F5s with the stock graphites that are in them, and will continue to play them for a while and see how it goes.

The set I am gaming is 4-GW. The GW ar 51* was fantastic, and I immediately fell in love with it for short pitch shots around the green (some would say my short wedge game is not so en fuego at the moment). Scoring irons were fantastic, 7,8,9,PW just got the job done for me. High ball flight, tons of spin on shots in to the green, and a trajectory that allowed me to land and hold greens during my rounds.

The long irons are what have me hooked on these sets. Typically when I am staring at a shot from 190-200 yards, I am not thinking long iron = accuracy. However, during my rounds this past weekend, the 5i became my go to club for that distance. On a par 5, I was still quite a way out being 194 yards with a forced carry over water to the green. Pulled 5i, and smoked it. Landed the green, pin high, about 20 feet right of the pin. I'll take that. I continued to hit 5i on a number of dogleg Par 4s, and being able to get it out there 200ish yards was setting me up perfectly for approach shots in to greens. I saw more of the same with the 6iron, and with these long irons working so well, my confidence in my iron game from further out was built.

I will have more thoughts on these as they continue to get some on course work. However, first impressions are often lasting impressions for me, and Wilson Staff has a SOLID set of irons on their hands with the F5s.

Great write up. Looking forward to your continued thoughts.

If you do reshaft, what are you thinking about going with?

Great to read that War. Love seeing guys put W/S into their bags.

Great write up. Looking forward to your continued thoughts.

If you do reshaft, what are you thinking about going with?
KBS Tour 90s would go in them.

Great to read that War. Love seeing guys put W/S into their bags.
I've long been a W/S fan, and have gamed a number of their irons over the years. These impressed me immediately. Excited to have them in the bag.

Hit the 7 iron at demo days yesterday, which was a new experience for me, as I don't believe I've ever hit a forged iron or one with this small of a profile - but I really enjoyed it. Feel was solid and misses on the toe weren't nearly as punishing as I thought they would be from this type of club. Easy to get the ball up in the air and distance was much better than I expected. I may not be in the market for new irons for a little while, but I'll definitely be giving these another look when the time comes.

I checked these out yesterday at the store and I must say they look fantastic. Kinda wish I didn't pass on the opportunity to grab a set....

These irons are ridiculous.

Never have I gamed a set of irons that I had extreme confidence in long irons like these. Typically a 5i or even a 6i was a "hope it goes where I need it too" type of club. With these, the long irons are every bit as accurate as the short irons.

The launch I get with these is unlike anything I've games. Being able to actually hit a 190 yard 5i in to a green and have it be a foot from its ball mark is incredible.

Confidence in the long irons carry straight in to the scoring irons. These just launch high and go right where I aim. Being accurate with the scoring irons is a must.

I'm completely impressed with this line from Wilson Staff. The forgiveness across the face on these is remarkable, and I think if enough golfers tried them, they would game them without question.

Great remarks Ryan. Definitely can be game changers.

Love hearing the success your having with these.

Back