Iron covers. Do they slow down the game?

Iron covers. Do they slow down the game?

• Of course, only 50 index hacks use them.

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • No way! I have no problem with people protecting their gear.

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • Maybe, or I really don't care one way or the other.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Is this real life?

Votes: 6 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
Alright, so I've started to see a common theme when it comes to iron cover threads. There seems to be this idea that they 'slow down' play or that they 'take too much time'. I find both trains of thought to be hilarious, seeing how I've used irons covers for over 15 years and have never once heard a comment about them slowing things down. Perhaps there's some merit to the whole 'real players don't use iron covers' train of thought, but I don't like my sh!t getting dinged up so I use them with no shame. Anyway, there's a fun poll to go along with this so please comment and vote! Your voice matters :wink:.

Well, they can't make you play faster.

If you make a conscious effort to not let it slow you down it won't make a big difference. But I have certainly seen people who are constantly slowed by them. Not a big deal to me either way.

I am a proud iron cover user and also do not understand how they would slow down play either. Like to keep my forged irons looking nice and ding free also. Am currently on Tapatalk so can't see the poll but will vote when I get on my computer.

If they slow play it can't be any worse than people looking for wayward shots or taking extraneous practice shots.

I couldn't imagine them slowing down play in any way.

No issue for me, the only time it could slow down play is if you lost one during a round and were trying to find it.

I dont feel I have been slowed by people who use them, they are faster than a laser finder.

I voted maybe - don't care. I don't prefer to use them though.

I don't think they slow down the game. They just look gay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't slow down the game!

- Fellow iron cover user

Having played rounds with them on my clubs I have yet to see them slow down a round. Take it off the iron as you go to your ball and then put them back on

I don't think they slow down the game. They just look gay

My next set will be unicorns :rofl:

I have them on my clubs and I've played 18 in 2.5 hours. They're not slowing me down.

I've heard a few folks who have tried them and didn't like them because it slowed their game down but never from anyone having a prejudice against iron covers because they slowed down the game itself.

If they slow you down then you're using them wrong...

If they slow you down then you're using them wrong...

Exactly my point! And if someone finds them too complicated there may be some deeper rooted issues, haha!

No they don't make a player slow. That person is probably just slow at everything on the course.

I use them but I have a caddy so it doesn't slow anything down. Even when I play abroad I don't see any difference in time.

I wonder what kind of guy would criticize another player for protecting his equipment.

I don't know if I would enjoy being around him for too long.

On the other hand, I have a couple buddies who really try to pizz me off with their range finders. They will stand there staring like "Sir Edmund Hillary" because they know it bugs the hell outta me. They have been playing the same tee boxes and yardage markers for 35 years at the very same course. They know every inch of the joint!.......LOL

On the other hand, I have a couple buddies who really try to pizz me off with their range finders. They will stand there staring like "Sir Edmund Hillary" because they know it bugs the hell outta me. They have been playing the same tee boxes and yardage markers for 35 years at the very same course. They know every inch of the joint!.......LOL

I see same thing a lot and inevitably their approach ends up being 25' from the pin every time and that's if they hit the green. Not saying that this applies to all golfers when use rangefinders just those that carry them and all they really need is front, Center and back. Instead they stand there every hole getting yardage exact (sometimes multiple times) lengthening time to play hole, just to consistently reinforce that the rangefinder had no impact on the final outcome. If slow play is an issue, I would prefer these "players" get a GPS or watch.

I use them (Club Glove Gloveskin) for forged club protection and stealth. Other than losing one several years ago they stand up well and stay on well. Also on and off quickly.

For a very short time before getting the Gloveskin I had some really flimsy neoprene covers and they were fussier/slower to get back on and they fell off easily. So, the style could be an issue for some. But generally no delay of consequence should be necessary.

Last edited:
I don't think they slowdown play at all.

Slow is slow. Take away the iron covers and a slow player will find another area to be slow in.

One important thing with iron covers is to have a routine. Put the iron cover in the same spot each time so it's a quick grab, put on and go. Half the time, if I'm not driving, I grab the cover, jump in the cart, put it on while riding and put the club away at the next stop.

I don't use them but I don't think they slow play down more than it already is. Gear is expensive so if you want yo protect it than do so.

like rtparty said, I don't think its the equipment, its the player. if you give a rangefinder to a slow player, the rangefinder will slow him down. if you give it to a fast player, he'll use it to be even faster. iron covers are the same

Back