I'm getting fitted for a driver.

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
Actually just going to Dick's Sporting Goods and see which one is best on the launch monitor.

My Interests are: Cobra fly Z &Z+, Taylormade, Nike Green ??????, and the older Callaways.
It seems all of these mentioned are $250 & less. The 2014 Big Bertha with sliding weight is $129.

I realize when new clubs come out, last years models get cheaper, but the Big Bertha is super low.

Does anyone still play the 2014 BB, or the first BB alpha?

Are they that outdated, compared to the new technology?

Let me know if you played, or still play, a 2014 BB, or the Alpha.

What's your opinion, if you changed, and why.

After all, these drivers are years old.

Thanks for the info,
Jack

Personally, I don't think there is all that much difference between one year and the next, you are just not buying the "latest and greatest" version of it (and getting it for a fraction of its original cost). My bag is all new but I expect to play these clubs for a few years so they will be considered "old" technology at some point.

This year was my first full season with the 2014 BB. I tend to buy a season to two old because it fits my budget. While I have not had the chance to compare the 2014 to newer models, I have nothing but good things to say about it. While it doesn't correct operator error, the adjustable weights have definitely helped me be more consistent.

Thanks guys.

I'm one to get stuff a year or two behind because of the great deals.

I'm anxious to hit, but I will try any brand.

Also, I'm taking my current driver to see a direct comparison.

Keep the info coming,
Jack

I have been playing the Big Bertha for 20+ months, I have not found anything to knock it out of the bag so far, it is that good.

I've have the 2014 Bertha since it came out and have enjoyed it. I had a lot of issues with my swing and the driver was pretty forgiving. It might get knocked out this winter when I go for an actual fitting, but that's not Berthas fault. For the price they are going for, it's a very solid option.

I have the 2014 Big Bertha ($129) and the 2014 BB Alpha ($149). I alternate between the two. I can't quite decide which I like better!

I had the 2014 BB and really liked the adjustability. The APW is my favorite of all adjustable weights that I've tried so far. I didnt find that driver as quite as forgiving as some others did, but that's more my swing. Great club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play the 2014 Big Bertha with the stock Fubuki Z50 R-shaft. I butt cut the shaft to 44.5" just because I prefer a shorter driver. It's forgiving, but does not correct for operator error.

I also play a 2012 Razr Fit with an Aldila 75g Trinity in A-flex also 44.5". I primarily use this for practice on the driving range during the winter. It's old and if I crack it, I won't care so much.

I hit both drivers about the same distance. I have the exact same miss with both drivers. I've tried the Fly-Z and hit some nice drives with it, and had the same miss with it. I can't hit a TaylorMade driver worth a damn. I can't hit a Titleist or Ping driver worth a damn either.

I find the Callaway and Cobra drivers most forgiving of off-center hits. While they're not the "longest of them all" they did the best job of minimizing operator error and keeping me out of the woods. Bear in mind I can still slice one 50 yds off target if I get things wrong.

The bottom line is that no matter what you choose, you still have to make contact with the sweet spot and have a positive angle of attack approximately square to your target line.

At this point, I haven't tried anything that will knock either the 2012 Razr Fit or the 2014 Big Bertha out of the bag.

I've also noticed that Lexi Thompson hasn't found anything that will knock her Amp Cell Pro out of her bag yet, or even her 2009 Cobra S2 Forged irons.

What is everyone's experience with the Fubuki Z shafts? What are the launch angles? The reviews I've seen show different things about it. I know shafts perform different for each person.

Thanks,
Jack

Earlier this year I made a thread on the gamer drivers of THP'ers on this forum, and the 2014 BB Alpha, specifically, is one of the most popular. You might want to check that out.

Can speak for all the drivers you mentioned but I recently picked up a new Fly-Z through Cobra with a Matrix White Tie shaft for $225.00 It is an excellent driver for me and comparable to some of the Pings (G25, G30).

theoverswinger,

I looked at the thread you were talking about. It shows Callaway as the majority. Very good info.

My son got fitted a month ago at this same DSG. We were looking at Callaway and Taylormade, but he hit the Fly-Z + so much better , that we bought it for him.

I'm open to whatever I hit the best.

Thanks,

Jack

theoverswinger,

I looked at the thread you were talking about. It shows Callaway as the majority. Very good info.

My son got fitted a month ago at this same DSG. We were looking at Callaway and Taylormade, but he hit the Fly-Z + so much better , that we bought it for him.

I'm open to whatever I hit the best.

Thanks,

Jack

What I found out shouldn't stop you from trying the other brands, the Alpha is just a good starting point because it may be okay for a broad spectrum of players.

Are you positive that Dicks will allow you to tape up clubs to hit ? As they are not going to have demos left of pre 2015 clubs.

This one does. If they have them for sale, there is a demo. Those older demo clubs are in bags, instead of the fitting carts.

Some of the clubs they will tape the top and let you hit off of the rack.

I went to a golf store today that used to be (Golf USA).

They're in between shipments. New stuff coming in.

He let me hit a Callaway XR, a Fly Z, and Taylormade R15, all with different shafts.

The XR was short for me 230 to 250 yards, large dispersion.

The Fly Z was 240 to 255 yards, real large dispersion.

The R 15 was the best. It was small dispersion. Short shots were 245 to 255 ( this was with me hitting the mat before the ball on a couple). Most were 260+, with a few at 278.

I'm still gonna hit the Big Berthas, but I may have to get that R15.

He adjusted all of the drivers, but the only adjustment was to lower the loft on the R15 to 9°.

It had a Speeder 57 stiff shaft in it.

I'll let you know after I hit the others.

Thanks for all of the input,

Jack

I got fitted today at DSG. I tried several different clubs and brands.

He did have a BB Alpha and a BB 2014 with the slider.
The one with the slider, had a caved in spot on the crown, so he took one off of the rack and taped it up.

Same way with the Nike Vapor, no demos, tape it up.

Callaway XR, TM SLDR, Jetspeed, etc. had demos, and could order the clubs.

It was strange the way he fit me. He recommended the club with the least dispersion, but the most carry.

I remember JB on here saying a few times that the carry was important, and ofter overlooked.

I am averaging 245-255 yards carry, with a fade.

He also showed me that I'm releasing too late, leaving the face open.

After moving ball location from armpit, to left instep, I'm hitting between straight and a draw.

My old driver(s) were carrying a best of 245 yards, average 235-240 +roll . I took them with me to check.

He went on to say that, I had a good swing and lots of power.
I just need to get it working together.

My timing is good, start the swing with my legs, instead of hands.

The club I ended up getting was 2014 BB, with slider weight.

Stock Fubuki Stiff shaft.

It felt better to me weight wise, and had most carry distance.

Thanks for all of the input and opinions.

Right now Dicks sporting goods, has the 2014 Big Bertha for $129 with free shipping.

Thanks,
Jack

I got fitted today at DSG. I tried several different clubs and brands.

He did have a BB Alpha and a BB 2014 with the slider.
The one with the slider, had a caved in spot on the crown, so he took one off of the rack and taped it up.

Same way with the Nike Vapor, no demos, tape it up.

Callaway XR, TM SLDR, Jetspeed, etc. had demos, and could order the clubs.

It was strange the way he fit me. He recommended the club with the least dispersion, but the most carry.

I remember JB on here saying a few times that the carry was important, and ofter overlooked.

I am averaging 245-255 yards carry, with a fade.

He also showed me that I'm releasing too late, leaving the face open.

After moving ball location from armpit, to left instep, I'm hitting between straight and a draw.

My old driver(s) were carrying a best of 245 yards, average 235-240 +roll . I took them with me to check.

He went on to say that, I had a good swing and lots of power.
I just need to get it working together.

My timing is good, start the swing with my legs, instead of hands.

The club I ended up getting was 2014 BB, with slider weight.

Stock Fubuki Stiff shaft.

It felt better to me weight wise, and had most carry distance.

Thanks for all of the input and opinions.

Right now Dicks sporting goods, has the 2014 Big Bertha for $129 with free shipping.

Thanks,
Jack

So you still haven't pulled the trigger yet, right? I really moved the ball forward in my stance, off my left toe, when I was hitting my Bio Cell. Now with the Alpha I moved it back a bit to left instep but set up with the ball on the inside portion of the head. I tee it up high so the weight is up and at the heel.

You haven't tired the BB yet? You gotta give it a few swings. But stay away from the BB Alpha DBD, you might get scary long with it and it will bust your budget. :D

Yeah, I did buy the 2014 BB. It was the last one on the rack with a stiff shaft. With used ones on E-bay for $115 and up +shipping, I couldn't pass it up.

This guy also gives lessons. I'll go and get a tune-up for me and my son in March. A few lessons will do us both some good.

He had a Callaway DBD there and I didn't even ask the price. It looked good, but I hit one at demo days last summer, and it was too much club for me.

Jack

Back