Chasing the Quick fix.

Clutch42

Happy to be here!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
14.4 usga
I went to Golf Galaxy yesterday to try some putters and it got me to thinking, do
we rely on equipment too much to fix our game. I was trying different putters and
nothing just felt right to me, but when I started focusing on my setup and and making a
smooth stroke, I was draining putts with anything I picked up. Usually when I'm struggling putting
and think I need a new putter, I go back and work on my basics, and 9 times out of 10, it
fixes my problem.

While I know technology can help, sometimes I think we look for a quick fix.
What do you think? Do we rely on equipment to fix our faults instead of working on the problem? I know I've
been guilty in the past.

Thats a good question.
Maybe? The flip side for me is gear is fun.

Equipment will not fix a bad swing or putter stroke. Lessons and hard work can do that.

Haha oh yes and I'm definitely guilty of this especially with drivers.

Putting and short game I put the work in and irons but driver I always need a new one or i tinker with the settings

Im guilty of tinkering and trying to find the next best driver for me or irons. Putters are something I swap when I need to see/feel something different. I don't chase the quick fix with clubs anymore but love new tech and tinkering

After a whole lot of years of doing this, I spent 2015 really trying to focus on me--not my equipment. I still added a few pieces (Heavenwood, PM grind), and those did help me, but that's what they were designed to do and it made total sense to chase​ them.

I like tinkering so my reasoning for upgrades and such is never 'this will fix <enter issue here>'. I'm fully aware it is the indian not the arrow and since I've got gear that I'm comfortable with and I actually like I'll be sticking with what I've got now for awhile.

You're are absolutely correct, there is no quick fix but I love new toys!!

Of course new equipment won't fix a swing fault but it could help and sometimes certain clubs, for whatever reason, instill a sense of confidence which definitely helps.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I refuse to put my driver on the draw setting. If I draw my drive, I want it to be because I worked my a$$ off in my basement and on the range learning the proper swing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went to Golf Galaxy yesterday to try some putters and it got me to thinking, do
we rely on equipment too much to fix our game. I was trying different putters and
nothing just felt right to me, but when I started focusing on my setup and and making a
smooth stroke, I was draining putts with anything I picked up. Usually when I'm struggling putting
and think I need a new putter, I go back and work on my basics, and 9 times out of 10, it
fixes my problem.

While I know technology can help, sometimes I think we look for a quick fix.
What do you think? Do we rely on equipment to fix our faults instead of working on the problem? I know I've
been guilty in the past.

In spite of what marketing ploys are out there, gear alone will not fix a crappy game, practice, properly fit equipment, and lessons can and will if someone put the resources in to learning. If gear was the God it's proposed to be, the average national handicap would have dropped significantly and people would be better, it's just not happening.

I don't necessarily look for a quick fix with equipment, but more a quick fix 'band aid' with my swing. I'm a high handicap player who doesn't get enough time to practice... so a lot of times, I'll go 2+ weeks without touching a club... head to the course... hit a handful of balls on the range and realize that I 'lost' whatever I thought I had found a few weeks prior. I'll try to find a single key (thought, setup, etc) that 'works' for me for that day and stick with it.

Sometimes it works longer than others... but it's always just a quick fix. Until I have time to devote to practicing and getting proper lessons... I'm always working with quick fixes.

No equipment in the world is going to fix my over-the-top swing. A lot of practice and being taught proper technique, will.

I think in many cases new equipment is a psychological fix more than anything else.
Sure, different equipment may suit your swing better but those ore the finer details.

I refuse to put my driver on the draw setting. If I draw my drive, I want it to be because I worked my a$$ off in my basement and on the range learning the proper swing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I put my driver in the fade setting, and still hook the snot out of my tee shots. Now that​ is talent....

Well, I don't consider what I've done for gear as "quick fixes". In all clubs except driver, they perform more consistently than my other clubs before.

As for driver, my newest driver before I bought the M1 was circa 2011, so that wasn't exactly "quick".

I have a long honeymoon period with my clubs to get to know them, so my agenda this year is no more changing of gear so I can win some tournaments.

I replaced my SeeMore with my SC because I am more of a straight back putter and a mallet, or mini-mallet that is face balanced works better for my style. I went to the SeeMore from my Odyssey Versa putter because I just don't like the soft inserts. I went from the Odyssey Rossie II to the versa because I prefer a smaller, more blade like design for shorter putts. I really don't see me changing anything with my putter now except, perhaps, the grip from this point on. I've got a face balanced, no soft insert, and not too big a head putter that I think will be just fine for me as far as equipment. Now I am working on just grooving a stroke and from that point I will get more into how to properly read a green.

Back