Do you take a practice swing with your irons, to see your clubs bottom of arc ?

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
Some people take a practice swing for rhythm, etc.

Before a shot, I swing to see if I'm hitting fat, not getting close to ground at all, and to see where my divot starts.

I always take a divot. Somedays my divot position may move, and I will play my ball a little bit back/forward in my stance to compensate.

What's your preshot? Practice swing or not?

On a full shot I normally do not take a practice swing. If I do it's normally because I'm trying to shape the ball. That means it's not a full swing but an half-speed exaggeration of the swing I'm trying to make. I consistently take about 7-8 seconds from the time I step up to the ball until the time the ball is airborne.

Im not really into practice swings except on chips or putts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never have taken practice swings in the past, but the last two rounds I have taken at least one with the driver and some times one with the irons to try and get the feeling of the hips clearing /weight shifting / holding the posture with the down swing (I have no idea if it is working since I can't see it) but my shots have been better and the swing feels stronger thru the ball.

Most likely I still look like I am chopping wood, but it seems to help the full swings.

Not all the time. I have a good idea where my bottom of the swing is. I check it on chips and pitches

If I have an uphill or downhill lie I will take a practice swing to see where I'm hitting the turf.

I always take practice swings, most of the time it's for tempo though. If I have a weird lie I might check for the bottom of the swing arc, extreme uphill, downhill, or sidehill where there's a good opportunity to hit it fat or thin.

Yes. Just brushing the grass. Helps make sure alignment is good as well.

Never, unless I have a long wait before I get to hit.

Always take a few swings before I get after it.

Yes, to check the arc and to mentally pre-hit the shot I'm about to make, this for every shot I take...

I usually do not take practice swings.

Yes. Just brushing the grass. Helps make sure alignment is good as well.

That's more my practice swing.
My practice tells me where I'm hitting the ground. The real swing digs a slight divot.
If I'm having a good day, I don't take practice swings as often.
Sometimes it might be 2 weeks before I touch a club.
Usually those rounds get a practice swing or 2 before hitting.

Last edited:
I will usually take a practice swing if I have an awkward stance, or an uneven lie. Sometimes if the swing goes wonky I will take a couple for a reference for ball position/bottom of the swing.

Other than that, normal shots from the fairway, I rarely take one.

If I have a wait in the fairway, I try not to touch a club until I am free to hit (to try and keep the routine the same).

If I have an uphill or downhill lie I will take a practice swing to see where I'm hitting the turf.

Pretty much the only time I take one on full shots too

I take practice swings with irons for the same reason described.

One practice swing with everything except for wedges. I'll usually take a couple swings with wedges to get a feel for the shot I'm trying to pull off.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No full swings on full shots. Just a slow takeaway or two to reinforce the sequence.

On chips and pitches, several swings while looking at the hole to entrain the right touch.

On full swings I only take practice swings when in a weird position on close to level ground just step up and fire, now on pitches and chips I will take a practice swing.

I take a partial swing just to feel the hinge in my wrists and moving the shoulders.

I do on every shot, routine for me.

I take normally 1-3 trying to have a good feel for my shot, a lot of times that means taking a divot or making contact with the ground. If I don't I normally will catch it thin and blade it somewhere.

I don't unless I am waiting for awhile and I always do when I'm chipping and putting

I take just one practice swing for tempo and take my shot.

I take 1 practice swing at like 75% or so to try and be smooth, then i go.

Back