Callaway GBB Epic Fairway Wood and Epic Sub Zero FW Wood Review Thread

I watched some of the Zoo Crew hit these and look forward to getting my hands on these. The technology overview combined with what we are getting out of the drivers makes this an easy call to purchase. I freaking love the XR16 3W they gave me but I need to try this.

oh man, between the F7 and Epic SZ, my Tight Lies Titanium woods have a couple legitimate challengers

I'd love to see a comparison of the SZ FW to the 816 Alpha FW. My 816 Alpha FW at 14° with the heavy weight back and .5" short rivals my driver in distance. It is by far the best an longest FW I've ever had. I've had multiple tee shots with it touch 300 yards measured by Arccos. I don't even think I would really even need much more from a fairway wood. I'll still try out the new one just for fun.

816 Alpha:

Name Loft Availability Standard Length Lie CC Swing Weight
14 Adjustable (13°-16°) RH / LH 43.00" Adjustable 165 D2
16 Adjustable (15°-18°) RH / LH 42.75" Adjustable 155 D2
18 Adjustable (17°-20°) RH Only 42.50" Adjustable 150 D2

Subzero

Loft 13.5° 15° 18°
Length 43.00″ 43.00″ 42.50″
Lie 54.50° 55.00° 55.00°
CC 172 163 155
Swingweight D3 D3 D3

Just based on the numbers it looks like the Subzero fwy woods will be slightly larger and a tad heavier in the swing weight dept. I've been extremely pleased with my 816 Alpha so unless the Subzero is easier off the deck (which the 816 is no slouch at) I can't see replacing it. However the Epic Subzero driver will be purchased no questions asked.

Will the shape of the Sub Zero heads be deeper than the standard Epic? More like the Deep series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

816 Alpha:

Name Loft Availability Standard Length Lie CC Swing Weight
14 Adjustable (13°-16°) RH / LH 43.00" Adjustable 165 D2
16 Adjustable (15°-18°) RH / LH 42.75" Adjustable 155 D2
18 Adjustable (17°-20°) RH Only 42.50" Adjustable 150 D2

Subzero

Loft 13.5° 15° 18°
Length 43.00″ 43.00″ 42.50″
Lie 54.50° 55.00° 55.00°
CC 172 163 155
Swingweight D3 D3 D3

Just based on the numbers it looks like the Subzero fwy woods will be slightly larger and a tad heavier in the swing weight dept. I've been extremely pleased with my 816 Alpha so unless the Subzero is easier off the deck (which the 816 is no slouch at) I can't see replacing it. However the Epic Subzero driver will be purchased no questions asked.

I feel the same way

Did I miss what the stock shaft isn't these are?

first page. I asked JB and he gave four options.

Thanks that skipped by me. I'll hold out til the No Upcharge list hits.

Thanks that skipped by me. I'll hold out til the No Upcharge list hits.

That is the list.
You can also get no upcharge on Fusion shafts.

I'm adding these to the hit and fit list for this year.

Really like the shaft options they are going with as well

The more I look at these the more these are on my mind. Have a feeling a 7W will be happening.

Definitely looking forward to trying the Heavenwood!

Definitely looking forward to trying the Heavenwood!

I am with you on that I could see a Heavenwood in my bag. I regret getting rid of my V series Heavenwood.

Callaway GBB Epic Fairway Wood and Epic Sub Zero FW Wood Review Thread

Just hit the Sub Zero fairway. Pretty darn solid look and feel. Immediately in the bag when I can get one. Number were solid and what I look for out of a fairway off the deck. Without a shaft fitting

So, I am not sure if I am understanding this correctly:

Is the Sub Zero FW line available in all of the same lofts as the Standard Epic line? I see JB's signature shows a SZ Heavenwood.... but then is there a Epic HW and SZ HW available?

So, I am not sure if I am understanding this correctly:

Is the Sub Zero FW line available in all of the same lofts as the Standard Epic line? I see JB's signature shows a SZ Heavenwood.... but then is there a Epic HW and SZ HW available?

Typo. Its the EPIC Heavenwood in my bag.

Typo. Its the EPIC Heavenwood in my bag.

Oh OK. So I assume then a reduced number of options available in the SZ line?

Oh OK. So I assume then a reduced number of options available in the SZ line?

That is correct. No divine 9 or 7 wood in the SZ line either I do not believe.

With a V-Series HW in my bag, in your opinion, what might be the greatest gains by switching to the new Epic Heavenwood?

Just hit the Sub Zero fairway. Pretty darn solid look and feel. Immediately in the bag when I can get one. Number were solid and what I look for out of a fairway off the deck. Without a shaft fitting

Yup. That's the one I'm going with. 5w definitely

I'm a huge fan of my 816 fairway - it's hard to tell from these pictures, did they keep the same overall larger profile, or have they moved towards something similar to the 815, which I thought was tiny?

I didn't think the SZ was small. Smaller than the Epic, yes slightly

I'm a huge fan of my 816 fairway - it's hard to tell from these pictures, did they keep the same overall larger profile, or have they moved towards something similar to the 815, which I thought was tiny?

I didn't think the SZ was small. Smaller than the Epic, yes slightly

Where CC's go, the Epic SZ is actually larger in each loft than the 816 FW was/is.

I am pumped to get some time in with the SZ version of this head, ASAP.

Love that I have the freedom of dialing up the MOI or going for low spin, like 816.

Any reason to upgrade from the previous version?

For me, yes. I hit it higher, ( I hit GBB version too low for me) and more than anything it was the repeated distance control. I think I was with in 5 yards of each other with 12 balls.

Back