Callaway GBB Epic Fairway Wood and Epic Sub Zero FW Wood Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
To go along with the new drivers just announced, the new fairway woods for both the Epic and SUB ZERO will be hitting stores this month.

Epic FW Wood Features
Maximum Forgiveness from an Ultra-light Triaxial Carbon Crown
Weight saved by the ultra-light triaxial carbon crown (78% lighter than steel)* is repositioned to increase MOI and lower the CG for easy launch and added power.

Faster Ball Speed from 4th Generation Face Cup Technology
The latest generation of our Hyper Speed Face Cup is more efficient at delivering fast ball speed across the face, especially on mis-hits, for increased average distance.

Fast Head Speed from Speed Step Technology

Developed with direct input from aerospace experts to improve aerodynamics for fast swing speed and distance without extra effort.

Wide Loft Selection Including 3+ and Heavenwood
Six models -- 3+, 3, 5, 7, 9, Heavenwood -- gives golfers multiple opportunities to put Epic performance in their bag.

Epic Sub Zero FW Wood Features
Increased Power and Forgiveness from Triaxial Carbon Crown
Incredibly light and strong triaxial carbon crown -- 78% lighter than a steel crown* -- frees up weight to increase MOI and lower the CG for easy launch and more power.

High Ball Speeds from Next-Gen Hyper Speed Face Cup
Fourth generation Hyper Speed Face Cup responds to off-center hits with greater efficiency to promote faster speed across more of the face.

Faster Head Speed from Speed Step Technology
Developed with direct input from aerospace experts, works with the new aero-elliptical head shape to improve airflow for faster swing speed and distance without extra effort.

Spin and Trajectory Control from Adjustable Weighting

Switching the positions of the 22g and 3g weights in the sole adjusts spin 250 rpm** to create a choice between lower launch, spin and trajectory or higher launch, spin, and trajectory.

In Stores - 1/27
Cost - $279

i-qBRf2wZ-L.jpg

i-ST33zjG-L.jpg

i-RJdWRHV-L.jpg

i-8mp7LGb-L.jpg

i-pswKCVP-L.jpg

i-jFDFsCQ-L.jpg

Any info on possible stock shafts for each model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin
Any info on possible stock shafts for each model?

Project X HZRDUS Black
Fujikura Pro Green
Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ Green
Aldila Rogue Max shaft.

Can I ask a probably silly question but why dont they use a mini version of the jailbreak tech in the fairways? Is it cause the face is smaller and doesnt flex or some other reason.

• Admin
Can I ask a probably silly question but why dont they use a mini version of the jailbreak tech in the fairways? Is it cause the face is smaller and doesnt flex or some other reason.

I would say amount of real estate.

Project X HZRDUS Black
Fujikura Pro Green
Aldila Rogue Max shaft.

That's a solid a selection of shafts. This should enable some serious customization and dialing in. Glad to see Callaway took some of the guess work out of works best.

Project X HZRDUS Black
Fujikura Pro Green
Aldila Rogue Max shaft.

Glad to see a good variety of weights available. Looking forward to see how a HW option can be dialed in.

Love the new look of these. Those stock shaft options are really good to. Gonna need to take a few swings with these as well. 2017 might be an expensive year...

Love the look, will be pondering getting this for sure

I was going to ask about the jailbreak technology missing in the FW but it's already been addressed. I am liking the stock shaft options.

This is definitely on my radar. Looks great and some nds like it should perform amazing!

My wallet may be taking a beating this year! Sound like there will be the perfect companion to the incredible drivers. Great shaft selections as well.

I'll be pre ordering at least one of these

This might actually knock out the oldest club in my bag - 815 alpha 14 deg FW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These look fantastic! I was wondering if they were going to show up soon. Need to hit a 5 wood and see how it does. Question: Did #TeamUnity get to see these/try them? I was curious because I don't see any teasers in their WITBs like you do for the driver slot and wedge slot

Two questions I have:

1. Besides the adjustability, is this a very similar club when compared to the Fusion FW?

2. Will there be left handed versions of all the Epic FWs (3+, 3, 5, 7, 9 and Heavenwood)?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
MPM1960

These look fantastic! I was wondering if they were going to show up soon. Need to hit a 5 wood and see how it does. Question: Did #TeamUnity get to see these/try them? I was curious because I don't see any teasers in their WITBs like you do for the driver slot and wedge slot

They were not available as of yet. They came in about a week later. They did however learn about the club and technology while there.

Epic for sure, very solid

I'm a huge fan of my 816 fairway - it's hard to tell from these pictures, did they keep the same overall larger profile, or have they moved towards something similar to the 815, which I thought was tiny?

from the renderings, the shape reminds me somewhat of the Big Bertha '14, that's a good thing to my eye as I enjoyed the heck out of that 3W. 816 was an incredibly solid stick, but I'm actually leaning towards the regular epic model here. Oh and hello there heavenwood!

from the renderings, the shape reminds me somewhat of the Big Bertha '14, that's a good thing to my eye as I enjoyed the heck out of that 3W. 816 was an incredibly solid stick, but I'm actually leaning towards the regular epic model here. Oh and hello there heavenwood!

I keep going back and forth between 3W/HW and 4W/3h in terms of what I want in my bag. If I went with the latter, I'd most likely go with the 16* sub-zero assuming it's similar to the 816. If I went the other way, I'd go with the standard head. I do love me some Heavenwood.

These look real nice. Looking forward to testing out a demo.

Great looking clubs. I'll definitely put these up against my Great Big Bertha.

We got to see them, not hit them. They didn't have enough ready at the time. I think we were about a week early.

Back