Recoil iron shafts in Callaway Heads

Karl

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone have or tried this combo? Whats the best combo? How do the recoils hold up over time? Most reviews dont test the recoil option. Any info or experience is much appreciated. I only tried the berthas with the 460 recoil a handful of swings.

What Callaway heads are you wanting to get insight on for the combo. There's quite a few of them....

The Callaway Apex have Recoils and feel very nice. Also very long

I have Apex with Recoil 660's F3 and have been playing them since July. Love the combo. Gives me the forgiveness on my joints of a graphite and the stability of a steel shaft. At F3 they really help me elevate the ball which is something I always struggled with.

Likely the big bertha but any highcapper one is on the table. Also wondering what recoil weights People prefer.

Likely the big bertha but any highcapper one is on the table. Also wondering what recoil weights People prefer.

Can you go hit them? Your results are going to vary a ton from everyone. Some will like lighter-weight others will prefer a bit heavier. It is personal preference and whatever gives you the best numbers.

What's your typical ball flight? What type of ball flight are you looking for? What are you currently playing?

Have the stock F4s in my Apex and really like them. Get good flight for me, and is easy on my wrists.

I would suggest hitting them if possible, or at least throw out some steel options that you have hit as there are several members who have hit quite a few shafts and can give you a good read on them.

I'm a big fan of recoils in lots of Callaway heads. Apex, Callaway X forged, Apex UT, Big Bertha and BB hybrids; they are awesome. The recoils are one of my favorite shafts and I have not seen any durability issues. There are quite a few different types as far as weights and flexes, so I'd pay attention to that.

I have Apex irons with Recoil 660 F3 shafts. It's lovely.

Bertha's with the Recoil 460's here and I think it is a great combo. Any particular info you are looking for?

Apex with Recoil 95's for me. Great combo in terms of weight FOR ME & I get the benefits of steel with ease on my joints.

XR Pro irons with Recoil 460 F4.

The only thing I'm missing is the joint pain.

Your mileage my vary.

For me they produce a mid trajectory penetrating ball flight that's long and holds the greens even with the 4 iron.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Can you go hit them? Your results are going to vary a ton from everyone. Some will like lighter-weight others will prefer a bit heavier. It is personal preference and whatever gives you the best numbers.

Nearest place to hit them is 4hrs away and they will have limited selection and knowledge on them.

What's your typical ball flight? What type of ball flight are you looking for? What are you currently playing?

Im playing karsten in stiff graphite. Just looking for higher flight and green holding on the longer irons.

What is your swing speed. This way other THP'ERS with similar speeds can provide insight into which UST MAMIYA RECOIL GRAPHITE SHAFTS fit them best.
My average drive SS is 105 and my Average irons SS is high 90's.

So I have inefficient results with the F3 460. Extremely high back spin with a ballooning ball flight. But I have had a Mid Trajectory penetrating ball flight with Recoil 460 F4.

I really don't struggle with getting the ball up in the air with a mid to high launch and trajectory. In fact I am usually trying to find a shaft that will help me keep my ball down and out of the winds above. I have also had no issues holding the greens with the XR Pro 4-AW Irons with the Recoil 460 F4 Stiff graphite shafts.

Hope this helps you. But until you can get fitted properly I would suggest waiting before you drop 7 or 8 hundred dollars on a new set only to be disappointed with them when you go play.

MTC

Peace and Love

Im playing karsten in stiff graphite. Just looking for higher flight and green holding on the longer irons.
I found that I was looking for something similar. The 660's in F3 is what I am playing and they do just what you stated you are looking for. Obviously everything is dependent on an individuals swing but the 660 series Recoils are designed to be a mid-high ball flight.

Bertha's with the Recoil 460's here and I think it is a great combo. Any particular info you are looking for?

How does the bb compare to the apex head? Did u compare different recoil shafts. Do the recoils produce consistent distances?

I gamed the Recoil 680 F4 in my Apexes up until recently and LOVED them. I'll likely drop some Recoil 95's in my Srixon Z545s later this summer too. As a mid- to high-handicapper I'd say you could easily game the Apex or XR/XR Pro irons. Definitely go get fit and try out different head/shaft combos to see what works best for you.

I believe the 95 is more expensive than other recoils. Why is this? Are they that much better?

How does the bb compare to the apex head? Did u compare different recoil shafts. Do the recoils produce consistent distances?
Bertha's by design will launch the ball higher, go further, and will provide more forgiveness. Apex will have less offset. No worries about inconsistencies with the distance due to the shafts.

What is your swing speed. This way other THP'ERS with similar speeds can provide insight into which UST MAMIYA RECOIL GRAPHITE SHAFTS fit them best.
My average drive SS is 105 and my Average irons SS is high 90's.

So I have inefficient results with the F3 460. Extremely high back spin with a ballooning ball flight. But I have had a Mid Trajectory penetrating ball flight with Recoil 460 F4.

I really don't struggle with getting the ball up in the air with a mid to high launch and trajectory. In fact I am usually trying to find a shaft that will help me keep my ball down and out of the winds above. I have also had no issues holding the greens with the XR Pro 4-AW Irons with the Recoil 460 F4 Stiff graphite shafts.

Hope this helps you. But until you can get fitted properly I would suggest waiting before you drop 7 or 8 hundred dollars on a new set only to be disappointed with them when you go play.

MTC

Peace and Love

Driver SS is low 90's right now. Probably get a bit higher Once golf season gets going. Im sure im not a high spin, high ball hitter.

I found that I was looking for something similar. The 660's in F3 is what I am playing and they do just what you stated you are looking for. Obviously everything is dependent on an individuals swing but the 660 series Recoils are designed to be a mid-high ball flight.

That recoil would probably work for me.

I agree. With your SS THE F3 in either the 460 or 660 should be perfect. Only difference is the shaft weight. After hitting both I liked the feel of the lighter shaft better. But this is alway just a personal feel and taste.

The heavier Graphite shafts require more time effort and materiales to produce consistent results. Mainly to provide a feel as close to steel as possible while maintaining a tight dispersion.

Therefore higher cost to the consumers.

Thanks a lot for all the input. One fitter I tried never saw a recoil, the other said recoils are steel shafts and graphite is only for ladies and seniors. He also didnt know they had various weights and launch heights.

You definitely need to inquire about new fitters. Those people are insane. :D

A bunch of THPers will be live posting from UST HQ this week. Im sure they will have a few things to say about Recoil.

Back