Rangefinders? Seriously?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether one hits the exact yardage or not should have no bearing on wanting to know the exact yardage to hit to. Especially when one has other factors involved such as bunkers short or long, a contour of the green, etc. Having the knowledge of where the pin is located, helps a golfer choose the proper club to rid themselves of these issues.

Choosing to pace it off, or guess at yardages, does not change anything about a golfer being accurate or not.

Good thing we are not giving one of these away on THP soon, because I would hate for some of the people in here to enter to win a prize that brings so much personal pain to them...(of course they dont have to enter).

Oh wait, we are giving some away soon...:D

I already have one that I don't use so you don't have to worry. Plus I never win anything anyway.

I can't wait for the "automobiles? Seriously?!?!" thread so we can 26 pages where people yearn for the good ol days of shoeing your own horse and dodging piles of dung in the street from all the drawn buggies.

Don't forget the Cobblestone roads!

Whether one hits the exact yardage or not should have no bearing on wanting to know the exact yardage to hit to. Especially when one has other factors involved such as bunkers short or long, a contour of the green, etc. Having the knowledge of where the pin is located, helps a golfer choose the proper club to rid themselves of these issues.

Choosing to pace it off, or guess at yardages, does not change anything about a golfer being accurate or not.

Good thing we are not giving one of these away on THP soon, because I would hate for some of the people in here to enter to win a prize that brings so much personal pain to them...(of course they dont have to enter).

Oh wait, we are giving some away soon...:D

Case in point ... you are at 150 yard marker (clearly marked with a white disc, on the cartpath, white pole etc), pin is in the back, cart says it's 175 to the back of the green, you laser it to 165, you promptly hit it short to 140 at the front of the green.
When I am at the same distance, same marker, but I just "eye" it to the middle not even thinking of the flag, hit it just past the middle ... uphill putt for birdie. Wall-ah!
I know we are comparing "apples to apples" here ... so it shouldn't matter how you get it done, as long as you get it done ... right? But I have played with too many people where they laser everything and they have been so bad that it wouldn't matter how they were getting the yardages ... they were NEVER going to hit it there in the first place. They needed to take the laser finder back and spend the money on lessons first.
I literally played with guy that played a par 4 ... laser off the tee ... slice in the woods ... retee ... laser AGAIN ... duff it off the tee box ... LASER to the corner of the dogleg ... hit it fat twice to 60 yards away ... LASER AGAIN .... hit it fat into a bunker (that he apparently didn't laser the distance over) ... 3 to get out of the bunker ... FINALLY pickup, had enough. All the while I am standing on the next tee box ... waiting and waiting. Mind you this was only 1 hole!
Now you see the frustration?

Not a Sermon ... Just a Thought

Case in point ... you are at 150 yard marker (clearly marked with a white disc, on the cartpath, white pole etc), pin is in the back, cart says it's 175 to the back of the green, you laser it to 165, you promptly hit it short to 140 at the front of the green.
When I am at the same distance, same marker, but I just "eye" it to the middle not even thinking of the flag, hit it just past the middle ... uphill putt for birdie. Wall-ah!
I know we are comparing "apples to apples" here ... so it shouldn't matter how you get it done, as long as you get it done ... right? But I have played with too many people where they laser everything and they have been so bad that it wouldn't matter how they were getting the yardages ... they were NEVER going to hit it there in the first place. They needed to take the laser finder back and spend the money on lessons first.
I literally played with guy that played a par 4 ... laser off the tee ... slice in the woods ... retee ... laser AGAIN ... duff it off the tee box ... LASER to the corner of the dogleg ... hit it fat twice to 60 yards away ... LASER AGAIN .... hit it fat into a bunker (that he apparently didn't laser the distance over) ... 3 to get out of the bunker ... FINALLY pickup, had enough. All the while I am standing on the next tee box ... waiting and waiting. Mind you this was only 1 hole!
Now you see the frustration?

Not a Sermon ... Just a Thought

now imagine if he paced all those shots off... i guess maybe he could have picked up quicker...

You cannot put all golfers into one category. For the one guy you played with who isn't very good and doesn't need the rangefinder there may be dozens others out on the course who are using them effectively and appropriately.

I have played with DOZENS of golfers using rangefinders, and never once have I ever given it a second thought. It seems like when these types of discussions come up you always have a crazy example that is much different than others' experiences with them. I am sorry you had to deal with someone like this, but I guarantee this person isn't the majority.

FWIW, you are preaching about slow play, not a laser. Someone is slow, they are slow, it has nothing to do with the gadget. Does it bother you as much as the person that walks off every distance? That takes longer. What about hte person that needs to move around constantly to get their GPS distance exactly right from different angles. How about the person that walks around the entire hole multiple times on his 50 ft putt. Or the guy that marks his ball and does the whole preshot routine from 24 inches. Or the person that inputs every stat in the world after every hole in his phone. Slow is slow.

Eveyr one of these are extreme examples of slow play. Nobody should discount ball markers because some people misuse them. Nor should one discount a GPS for it or a laser for it. Extreme cases is extreme cases and the person one is describing has nothing to do with the gadget and all to do with the person. If it wasnt a laser, it would be something else.

Using a laser has been PROVEN to be faster than not using one. Its not an opinion, it was tested by a golf school and proven.

I can only imagine if the person you were playing with didnt have the technology and was pacing it off. It would have taken even longer...Being precise has nothing to do with the argument of whether to have the information.

now imagine if he paced all those shots off... i guess maybe he could have picked up quicker...

It didn't matter if he paced it, laser it, guess it, pray to his god or what .... he was NEVER going to hit it correctly or to the EXACT or near to exact yardage the laser finder was telling him!

It didn't matter if he paced it, laser it, guess it, pray to his god or what .... he was NEVER going to hit it correctly or to the EXACT or near to exact yardage the laser finder was telling him!

it sounds like you are more upset about the principle that you deem this guy not good enough to own such a gadget. And you feel he should be spending his money on practice rounds or lessons instead. Not so much a problem with lasers...

FWIW, you are preaching about slow play, not a laser. Someone is slow, they are slow, it has nothing to do with the gadget. Does it bother you as much as the person that walks off every distance? No ... it shouldn't take that long to pace it off. That takes longer. What about hte person that needs to move around constantly to get their GPS distance exactly right from different angles.That is idiotic How about the person that walks around the entire hole multiple times on his 50 ft putt.yes ... just hit it already Or the guy that marks his ball and does the whole preshot routine from 24 inches yes ... putt it out ... especially when you are putting for an 8 Or the person that inputs every stat in the world after every hole in his phone. As long as I am not waiting for you on the tee box as you add up your 10 Slow is slow. You are correct ... slow is slow. And we could preach about it forever. That's why the PGA have many topics about it.

Eveyr one of these are extreme examples of slow play. Nobody should discount ball markers because some people misuse them. Nor should one discount a GPS for it or a laser for it. Extreme cases is extreme cases and the person one is describing has nothing to do with the gadget and all to do with the person. If it wasnt a laser, it would be something else.

Using a laser has been PROVEN to be faster than not using one. Its not an opinion, it was tested by a golf school and proven.

I can only imagine if the person you were playing with didnt have the technology and was pacing it off Point being ... he shouldn't be doing either. He should be able to "eye ball it" since he was never going to hit to that exact yardage in the first place. It would have taken even longer...Being precise has nothing to do with the argument of whether to have the information.

Enough said.

anyone want to buy a laser finder? Oh wait ... I use it for hunting. That was the only reason I bought it.

I can't wait for the "automobiles? Seriously?!?!" thread so we can 26 pages where people yearn for the good ol days of shoeing your own horse and dodging piles of dung in the street from all the drawn buggies.

That was never the point. It wasn't "back when I was a wee lad", it was "why tf is Swamp Thing wearing cologne?" In other words, it always struck me odd that someone would use a rangefinder when, clearly, they'd never shanked the same club the same distance two times in a row. As you've surely noted from reading the thread, I have since been persuaded that it would be better if even the worst golfer on the planet used a rangefinder than went through the pageantry of marching off yardage and dropping the name Pythagoras (it would be best of all if they'd skip the yardage and just hit their favorite club as far as they can).

Enough said.

anyone want to buy a laser finder? Oh wait ... I use it for hunting. That was the only reason I bought it.

Wow...There is some serious anger towards people that are not very good in that post. God forbid someone want to use a laser to get better at learning their own game, because the extreme example given must be the norm. My goodness.

And I can assure you of one thing...If you are ever playing behind me, I could laser every target under the sun, and you would not be waiting for me. As has been mentioned. A laser speeds up golf. Independent study proved such a thing. Some one off golfer that clearly made you angry is not the norm for golfers that use lasers. Holy cow.

You saying someone needs to be able to eye ball distances only, and you using a GPS (as you have stated) to get the nearly accurate distances is hysterical though.

That was never the point. It wasn't "back when I was a wee lad", it was "why tf is Swamp Thing wearing cologne?" In other words, it always struck me odd that someone would use a rangefinder when, clearly, they'd never shanked the same club the same distance two times in a row. As you've surely noted from reading the thread, I have since been persuaded that it would be better if even the worst golfer on the planet used a rangefinder than went through the pageantry of marching off yardage and dropping the name Pythagoras (it would be best of all if they'd skip the yardage and just hit their favorite club as far as they can).

Beautiful!! :clapp:

Wow...There is some serious anger towards people that are not very good in that post. God forbid someone want to use a laser to get better at learning their own game, because the extreme example given must be the norm. My goodness.

And I can assure you of one thing...If you are ever playing behind me, I could laser every target under the sun, and you would not be waiting for me. As has been mentioned. A laser speeds up golf. Independent study proved such a thing. Some one off golfer that clearly made you angry is not the norm for golfers that use lasers. Holy cow.

You saying someone needs to be able to eye ball distances only, and you using a GPS (as you have stated) to get the nearly accurate distances is hysterical though.

Eyeballing distances should move faster than to laser it from 60 yards away. Especially when you have been told by the Marshall that your group is behind and that you need to pick up the pace ... twice! A little frustrating when you are not the reason for the slow play. I don't care if your bad, we all have to learn how to play this game ... just play bad FAST!

Eyeballing distances should move faster than to laser it from 60 yards away. Especially when you have been told by the Marshall that your group is behind and that you need to pick up the pace ... twice! A little frustrating when you are not the reason for the slow play. I don't care if your bad, we all have to learn how to play this game ... just play bad FAST!

Once again you aren't speaking about the majority of users. You are talking about a bad experience you had.. slow is slow, it doesn't have anything to do with the rangefinder discussion.

So using my laser is frowned upon for getting my putting distances? Well darn guess I'll just have to eyeball it! :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So using my laser is frowned upon for getting my putting distances? Well darn guess I'll just have to eyeball it! :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can't eyeball 60 yards??

I apologized to my playing partners today when I used my rangefinder on my 64 and 68 yard pitch shots. They didn't mind because I was quick about it, just like any other reasonable person would do.

Oh, and it also helped me get both shots inside 10'. So it helped greenside speed too.

Slow players are slow players, it has nothing to do with the use of range finders. Let people play the way they want to and stop belittling them if you don't agree with it. To each their own as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Rangefinders? Seriously?!?

It was just a joke man. Calm down.

Here is my 2 cents on them. I have one and use it. It has sped up my game for sure as I do not have to walk around and look for a sprinkler head. I have been playing golf since I was 5. Played competitively in high school and college. For me on average it has save 3-4 strokes a round. I can usually eyeball most distances but the laser knows.

Like others have said slow is slow and the lasers don't make it any worse.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I apologized to my playing partners today when I used my rangefinder on my 64 and 68 yard pitch shots. They didn't mind because I was quick about it, just like any other reasonable person would do.

Oh, and it also helped me get both shots inside 10'. So it helped greenside speed too.

Slow players are slow players, it has nothing to do with the use of range finders. Let people play the way they want to and stop belittling them if you don't agree with it. To each their own as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

angry-mob.jpg

It might surprise you that a lot of people are bad at eyeballing distances. It's a skill that can be improved, but it's also very much an innate talent (but maybe I'm reading your tone wrong). I guess that's why Ted Williams couldn't get his players to hit like him when he managed in MLB.

Seems to me using a laser regularly would allow folks to improve their "eyeball" ability. Otherwise how can you practice getting good at reading yardages?

I'll take most confusing thread for $600, Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back