Bridgestone J15 Cavity Back Irons

So I found a small local shop randomly had a set of the CB (no other ones tho)

I have to say the top line is a turn off for me :/. Why couldn't they make it like the DF?!

Anyway I'm gonna do a test drive of the DF and CB. If you do the option where they send you both heads, the only option is the DG Pro. But if you do a single head id get the pack that comes with both modus 120 and c tapers. Not sure which to do, I know they only allow one at a time, so I'd have to get someone else to do it for me for option B to get both heads with Nippons and C-Tapers

I have to say the top line is a turn off for me :/. Why couldn't they make it like the DF?!

Anyway I'm gonna do a test drive of the DF and CB. If you do the option where they send you both heads, the only option is the DG Pro. But if you do a single head id get the pack that comes with both modus 120 and c tapers. Not sure which to do, I know they only allow one at a time, so I'd have to get someone else to do it for me for option B to get both heads with Nippons and C-Tapers

What are you playing currently?

r7 TP w/ C-Taper X soft-stepped. Don't need new irons as I still love these, but currently working at a shop and leaving soon for school so the time is now to get good deals if I want to buy stuff

I'm a bit confused.. What's not to like about the top line?

Obviously to each their own. I think they look fantastic.

I'm a bit confused.. What's not to like about the top line?

Obviously to each their own. I think they look fantastic.

They look great to me as well.

r7 TP w/ C-Taper X soft-stepped. Don't need new irons as I still love these, but currently working at a shop and leaving soon for school so the time is now to get good deals if I want to buy stuff

Interesting. I guess I'd have to see them directly side by side, but I wouldn't have said these have a much different of a top line at all than those R7's. Not quite sure what your issue is with the top line on these.

I know it's nitpicky but see how the Taylormade topline is round which makes the appearance look smaller and smoother? The CB is just more square. The DF is smaller and also looks to have a bit less offset. Here is my r7 TP 6-iron. I also like the '09 Tour Preferred irons, basically the same just smaller, less offset, slightly thinner topline. IMO the old TM just all look perfect. Nice subtle rounded lines, the topline is rounded off to hide the bulk. I think the 716 AP2's might be the ones from what I've read so far, but I hate Titleist prices

01ca6bf54fd35307519bc7b58fb13b49.png

For example, I love the looks of Titleist's 714 CB at address, nice rounded topline. But I think the forgiveness of the Bridgestone suits me.

I was actually talking to the guy in the shop who used to work for a major manufacturer in R&D, and he said he has done topline grinds and could do it for me. The issue is that the area would rust due to the plating being gone

Last edited:
I know it's nitpicky but see how the Taylormade topline is round which makes the appearance look smaller and smoother? The CB is just more square. The DF is smaller and also looks to have a bit less offset. Here is my r7 TP 6-iron. I also like the '09 Tour Preferred irons, basically the same just smaller, less offset, slightly thinner topline. IMO the old TM just all look perfect. Nice subtle rounded lines, the topline is rounded off to hide the bulk. I think the 716 AP2's might be the ones from what I've read so far, but I hate Titleist prices

01ca6bf54fd35307519bc7b58fb13b49.png

I don't see that much of a difference. But maybe that's just me.

e9d4cae6b80255aaec888bd0a8c1492b.jpg

Ugh...I'm in serious ponder mode for a set of CBs.

How are the stock DG Pros in these? I've hit them in the demo irons a few times and they were really nice. Just wondering if anyone else had any feedback - good, bad, indifferent.

I find them to be really good. Seem to put the ball flight where I want it and they load well with my swing.

How are the stock DG Pros in these? I've hit them in the demo irons a few times and they were really nice. Just wondering if anyone else had any feedback - good, bad, indifferent.

DG pros are solid shafts, I have them in reg flex in the DFs

I like them in mine. They feel super smooth to me. I can flight them down and up as needed. I feel like they could suit a wide variety of players but everyone has their own preferences.

Who want to send me their set to try out?

Wilmington is great, love that city!

I have the DG Pros in the DPFs and I really love them, you get a nice kick on pured shots that I didn't have in my KBS Tours, they are straight gamers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's a good gap wedge that's flows well with this set in terms of looks at address?

I would agree with OITW, I game the df's and go from pw to j15 50* and I think its the perfect transition.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hm I would be looking for something with a similar look at address and that would offer a similar level of forgiveness. I've read the J15 wedge isn't at all forgiving

Hey Jman or any other mod ha e you guys tested and reviewed the J15 cast irons that were released this year as well? TIA

Hey Jman or any other mod ha e you guys tested and reviewed the J15 cast irons that were released this year as well? TIA

THP had some sets for players in the THP Legacy this year, and I believe they have offered some nice feedback here.

Feel free to ask any questions you have in that thread. I've hit them a bit and I am sure I can offer some insight alongside those who are gaming them.

Received my J15 CB irons today. Western Oklahoma had some 25-35 mph wind today, but I couldn't wait to hit the course. I absolutely loved these irons. I learned two things today: I am capable of hitting these irons well. When I miss, I'm not punished brutally, but it definitely is felt if I miss badly. Can't wait to play again tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The J15 CBs arrived yesterday so I had to get out and put in some time with them on the range today. Holy cow, these are every bit as fun to hit as the demo from the Test Drive program. Straight, accurate, incredible feel and the sound is absolutely perfect!

The only one in the set that I didn't love so much was the 5 iron, but that is totally me and not the club. I'm also interested to see how the heavier S300 shaft impacts my yardages (if at all) since I've been playing a lighter graphite shaft in my Srixons. I should be able to get in 18 holes this weekend. Pretty anxious to see how they perform for me on the course.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised...very surprised.

Back