Opinions, current PGA player HoF

Plinyyounger

Magistrate Ancient Rome
Reaction score
Handicap
fake peopl
Within the last year I have heard a top rated player discuss/mention during interviews his plan to make the Hall of Fame. What do you think about that? To be honest, I had never heard a current player in any sport talk about making the Hall of Fame in their perspective sport until very late in their career, and usually only when asked. Then normally the player is very humble with a response. This player indicted he was close to securing such a spot. I believe he has won two majors and 10 events total.

Do you think a young player saying such a thing is arrogant or disrespectful of players that earned the achievement after long and prosperous careers?

you would think a young player would be focusing on winning tournaments rather than the Hall of Fame.

sorry for rambling, but the remarks just irk me and now I tend to root against this guy, lol.

What are your thoughts, should the Hall of Fame be a sacred and quiet goal, or something a young player should be discussing?

Last edited:
I'm unaware of the comments and therefore the context but I wouldn't have any problem with somebody making similar as a stated goal.

I take it as a nod of respect for the game's greats with the stated desire to one day join them. But again, context and tone are everything here, imo.

Of course there's also something to be said for a person who quietly goes about their committed business and lets the results speak for themselves. But people inspire and prod themselves in many different ways.

No issue with it. He's setting goals for himself.

It's not like he did this.

Off top, I'm not bothered by it, but I haven't seen/heard the comments. Of course, if said player was being bombastic, extremely arrogant, or just unsavory about it then I may have something to say about it. But if it was presented as a long term goal, then I don't have an issue with it.

Off top, I'm not bothered by it, but I haven't seen/heard the comments. Of course, if said player was being bombastic, extremely arrogant, or just unsavory about it then I may have something to say about it. But if it was presented as a long term goal, then I don't have an issue with it.

Jason mentioned it in a few interviews as if he has the honor in the bag. He wasn't arrogant for the most part, I've just never heard such a thing from any player, in any sport discuss the HoF in the prime of their career. I guess I just feel like it's off limits to compare yourself to legends when a career is so young.

No issue with it. He's setting goals for himself.

It's not like he did this.

Lol, no he didn't do that, but did say he is closer to the honor after winning the last major he did.

Jason mentioned it in a few interviews as if he has the honor in the bag. He wasn't arrogant for the most part, I've just never heard such a thing from any player, in any sport discuss the HoF in the prime of their career. I guess I just feel like it's off limits to compare yourself to legends when a career is so young.

Ahhh I got ya. He's been pretty vocal about wanting to be the best and all that but he's got a long way to go before he has a HoF-worthy career IMO.

Ahhh I got ya. He's been pretty vocal about wanting to be the best and all that but he's got a long way to go before he has a HoF-worthy career IMO.

Exactly, he is a great golfer! But the HoF, with all the players we know, all we have watched, he should chill. Tiger is still playing and I have never heard him say a word, same for Phil, for the young guys Rory has never said anything either. I'm just a fan of legends!

I have no issues with a player striving to be the best and in the hall of fame. I would question of a player came out ans said he didn't want to be one of the best

I have no issues with a player striving to be the best and in the hall of fame. I would question of a player came out ans said he didn't want to be one of the best

Agreed, striving to be the best, but saying he is close to being a legend?

Agreed, striving to be the best, but saying he is close to being a legend?

He believes in himself. If he was a rookie or had 1 win it might be different but he is having a good career with lots of time left. Did Reed saying he was a top 5 player bother you?

He believes in himself. If he was a rookie or had 1 win it might be different but he is having a good career with lots of time left. Did Reed saying he was a top 5 player bother you?

Nope, but a kid comparing himself to Arnie, Nicholas, Hagen, Sneed, etc does. Just my opinion. Win as much as you can, then in the end hope for the HoF. I think most pro's in all sports would agree.

edit, to make this easier, do you think at this point in his career he is even close to the HoF? He does.

Nope, but a kid comparing himself to Arnie, Nicholas, Hagen, Sneed, etc does. Just my opinion. Win as much as you can, then in the end hope for the HoF. I think most pro's in all sports would agree.

edit, to make this easier, do you think at this point in his career he is even close to the HoF? He does.

Right now I don't think he gets in if he had to quit. I think he wins some more majors and a few more other wins and is a HOFer. I think in most other sports because athletes are dependent on a team to help contribute to a players success it's harder for someone early in their career to say they are a HOFer or striving for it plus those sports are a lot more subjective in criteria to get in. A golfer who is dependent on themselves for their success and have 10+ PGA/European tour wins and some others plus a major can start to think that way.

Right now I don't think he gets in if he had to quit. I think he wins some more majors and a few more other wins and is a HOFer. I think in most other sports because athletes are dependent on a team to help contribute to a players success it's harder for someone early in their career to say they are a HOFer or striving for it plus those sports are a lot more subjective in criteria to get in. A golfer who is dependent on themselves for their success and have 10+ PGA/European tour wins and some others plus a major can start to think that way.

Fair enough, but most if not all athletes don't mention the HoF until they have earned it. When I was playing ball in college or my sad semi pro days, if a team member even said he deserved to be on an all star team before it had been decided, we would have stuck it to him. HoF is just not something you even mention until you have earned it. It's arrogant and I'll let go now, thanks for the response! :D

Plus isn't there a prescribed number of wins where it's pretty automatic? Or an accepted bar of sorts? I understand that the bar may have been raised but there's still prescribed number for consideration. Other sports being more subjective leaves so much to the unknown at the close of a remarkable career, along with other variables of course (legal issues, media interaction, etc).

In the NFL, Jerry Kramer should be a given imo. Ricky Watters, although he annoyed the helloutta me, has the numbers. And by the Gale Sayers barometer, Terrell Davis should be in.

But none are. Golf's qualification system lends itself to a bit more certainty so to perhaps make it seem more attainable.

Maybe, lol... ?

Plus isn't there a prescribed number of wins where it's pretty automatic? Or an accepted bar of sorts? I understand that the bar may have been raised but there's still prescribed number for consideration. Other sports being more subjective leaves so much to the unknown at the close of a remarkable career, along with other variables of course (legal issues, media interaction, etc).

In the NFL, Jerry Kramer should be a given imo. Ricky Watters, although he annoyed the helloutta me, has the numbers. And by the Gale Sayers barometer, Terrell Davis should be in.

But none are. Golf's qualification system lends itself to a bit more certainty so to perhaps make it seem more attainable.

Maybe, lol... ��
Points well taken, I don't disagree with what may happen, my point of starting the the conversation was he should keep HoF thoughts to himself, he hasn't even come close to earning it yet. If he had said it was a lifetime goal, or something humble, I could get behind it. But He seems entitled, and he is not even close to the achievement. That's my point in all this, and it's because I'm old and crusty, well not too old, but certainly crusty. :D

I don't really have an opinion on what he said. However his resume is only a couple of wins away from being good enough to get in. Freddy Couples is a hall of fame member with 1 major and 14 wins on the PGA tour. Jday has 1 major and 10 wins. Pretty comparable PGA records looking at it that way his comment doesn't seem that out of line. One more major and he is probably a lock.

Points well taken, I don't disagree with what may happen, my point of starting the the conversation was he should keep HoF thoughts to himself, he hasn't even come close to earning it yet. If he had said it was a lifetime goal, or something humble, I could get behind it. But He seems entitled, and he is not even close to the achievement. That's my point in all this, and it's because I'm old and crusty, well not too old, but certainly crusty. :D

My opinion on that would be yes, I'd prefer if he'd keep those thoughts to himself. If he were my buddy and asked for advice on the matter, I'd offer that it would probably be best if he let his play do the talking for him.

So I do find it a bit awkward but it just may be a motivational tool for him. Or an ego trip.

I don't really have an opinion on what he said. However his resume is only a couple of wins away from being good enough to get in. Freddy Couples is a hall of fame member with 1 major and 14 wins on the PGA tour. Jday has 1 major and 10 wins. Pretty comparable PGA records looking at it that way his comment doesn't seem that out of line. One more major and he is probably a lock.

Lol, well what he said is why I started the thread. His ability, resume, future are not what I was talking about, he may make it, I'm obviously not making sense, lol.

Lol, well what he said is why I started the thread. His ability, resume, future are not what I was talking about, he may make it, I'm obviously not making sense, lol.
I understood what you were saying. The point I was trying to make is it really being arrogant if you already have a record similar (maybe better) than players in the HOF.

To be considered in the Competitor category, a male needs 15 wins (up from 10) in International Federation of PGA Tours events or two victories in majors or Players Championship.

Per Golf Magazine

It used to be 12 victories or 2 major wins to be considered. They changed the rules this past Summer.

If he retired right now, he would be eligible when he turned 40. Would have to get 75 percent of a vote. He would eventually get in.

Maybe, lol... ��

The LPGA has criteria (http://www.lpga.com/players/lpga-hall-of-fame/lpga-hall-of-fame-criteria) but not the PGA. Another odd thing is the LPGA has their own HOF, while the PGA doesn't. Both female and male golfers go into the World Golf HOF.

Back