I Dislike Par 70 and 71 Courses

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Not personally, but on tour. I will be in the minority here, but wanted to get everybody's feedback. Call it personal, call it unreasonable, I still don't like them. There is really no proper reason, other than subjective. Do yo uhave thoughts on it?

My rule would be simple. If it cannot compete as a par 72, then move it to a course that can. If stroke relation to par is meaningless, then it shouldnt matter if it is a par 72 to begin with.

Honest question, why do they even keep score to par on tour? Why not just count and tally strokes?

• Admin
Because at the end of the day, they are playing in relation to par. Changing the entire scoring system and removing terms such as bogey, birdie, etc causes more hardship in education than its worth.

However that is not really relative to the topic.

My guess, like a lot of things in golf is it is just the way it is done. I also think it is for TV audiences as it might be more confusing to figure out the standing when some players are finished and others are still on the course.

Honest question, why do they even keep score to par on tour? Why not just count and tally strokes?

To the original question, I prefer par 72, because it is the standard I am used to.

If the Tour is concerned with length, then yes, make all PGA courses par 72 for events. If the Tour is concerned with keeping particular courses and history, then no.

I am not a fan of the tour playing par 70 and 71. Play the course as it is and like you said if it can't be played that way then find another course.

not a fan of manufacturing a scorecard for a tournament to make a course play different

I kind of like when they take a short par 5 and make it a par 4 for the pros. Courses can't change to adapt to new equipment or talent but little things like that can make it more of a challenge.

I hate them as well, but only because I am bad at math. -2 under should always be a 70!

I agree. If a course was designed to be a par 72 with 4 par 5's then it should be played that way. IMO this is even more egregious when the USGA does it for the US Open.

I don't mind a course playing to 70 or 71 if that is how it was designed. But modifying the scorecard is silly I agree.

I hate missing out on the score swings cause of the par 5's.

I don't care what par is on tour so long as it's honest. Anything under 300 should be par 3, and anything under about 550 should be a par 4 unless hazards make going for it in 2 unreasonable. Other than that, I don't even notice what par is on tour courses.

I don't really care for them either. I don't think they should change par and make a hole longer just for the sake of being longer to lower the par. These guys are good, if they can reach a par 5 in two and potentially eagle, let them have at it. It's more fun as a viewer on TV to have the potential to make up a stroke or two. At the end of the day, a score of 280 or 275 or whatever is what goes into the books, shouldn't matter what that is in relation to par.

Doesn't really bother me.....unless we are talking the magical number of 59. Par 70 or 71 skews that achievement greatly in my mind.

I don't mind a course playing to 70 or 71 if that is how it was designed. But modifying the scorecard is silly I agree.

Took my response right from my keyboard, Wake.

Play 71 if it was designed as 71 by the designer. I personally dislike when the PGA makes a member par 5 a par 4 for the tour. Who cares if it's a short par 5, more eagles!

Doesn't really bother me.....unless we are talking the magical number of 59. Par 70 or 71 skews that achievement greatly in my mind.

I thought that as well until I realized shooting a 59 on a par 70 usually means 2 less 5s to score on...

Not always the case but just a thought

I don't really care what the tour plays in relation to par. My course is a par 71 and it makes for a long par 4 on our number 7 hole. With the white tees back behind the pond and the hole playing 445 plus it being uphill to the green, it can be tough. If I miss my tee shot a little it's a 3 or 4 hybrid into a par 4 hole. To make it even tougher the wind often comes off that hill directly into your face adding even more yards. Now with the pros those long par 4 holes don't affect them like us hackers.

Im fine with a par 71 but I'm not a fan of the par 70 at all.

It might be my OCD but I wish all courses were 72 with 6 par3's, 6 par4's and 6 par5's...lol

I hate watching par 71's and 70's on tour but I really enjoy playing them myself haha

I've got no issue with different pars, but I don't like when 59 or some season low score or something comes into play at one.

Scores for TV are kept relative to par, so it's really not relevant to me.

I like the mixture of the par 5's,good opportunities gone

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Not personally, but on tour. I will be in the minority here, but wanted to get everybody's feedback. Call it personal, call it unreasonable, I still don't like them. There is really no proper reason, other than subjective. Do yo uhave thoughts on it?

My rule would be simple. If it cannot compete as a par 72, then move it to a course that can. If stroke relation to par is meaningless, then it shouldnt matter if it is a par 72 to begin with.
It's an interesting conversation. How do you feel about the Champions course at PGA? They have those two par 5s that play as 4s for that week.

Non-issue to me. The competition and level of play is not impacted. It is simply a relative reference for how well players are playing, or perhaps for how challenging (or not) the course is for Tour players.

I definitely don't want to see a modified scorecard. If it was designed as a 70 or 71 then so be it but don't change par because of who is playing that day or week.

Having said that I like a par 70 - better shot at breaking 80!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back