How do you judge success on the course?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
Over the years I have played with all types of handicaps from tour pros to beginners and everything in between. And I have observed similarities over th years such a love for the game, competing spirits and a drive to be the best they can be.

It's always interesting to me how each golfer judges success. Some want to hit every fairway, others need to card 6 pars others want 3 or more birdies and other look at low scores. All are driven to succeed in their particular areas. What drives you? How do you measure your success on the course?

For me it's having 29 or less putts. I know if I can get this done, I'll have a good day.

Consistency, not every shot needs to be perfect but as long as they are something close to what I am picturing and not wild hooks or slices then I'm pretty happy

Keeping all of my drives in the fairway and any approach shots in play. Strokes right now are secondary to keeping things in play. Want more consistency shot-to-shot.

Having fun first is key. 30 putts or less and getting up/down 50% or better

The final score on the card. I have achieved low scores with mediocre ball striking and higher scores with good ball striking. Puttimg everything together to shot a good score signifies success to me.

My better rounds usually come from keeping the ball in play off the tee. Penalty strokes are the fastest way to jack the score up. That's the most inconsistent part of my game on most days.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Having fun first is key. 30 putts or less and getting up/down 50% or better

I agree, having fun is the most important part. Playing well helps, of course, but isn't a requirement just a bonus!

Getting up and down.

I always played from tee to green like a "bull in a china closet" and missed my share of fairways and greens as a result.

If the putter and wedges were on, it was usually a pretty good day for me.

Putting and fairways hit. If I'm in play off the tee box and putting well I'm going low that day. Both of my 77's last year were hitting 12/14 and making right at 30 putts.

By Height?

Iron play and ball striking in general. If I'm hitting the center of the clubface consistently I consider it a succesful round.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

By score and having fun. If I can shoot under 80 and had a fun time doing it then I'm a happy camper.

I'm happy when I'm competing against the course, putting a good consistent swing on the ball. They enjoyment in the game for me is when the strategy of shot selection and placement reveal themselves. If I'm not swinging well I might as well be beating balls down the range.

By score and having fun. If I can shoot under 80 and had a fun time doing it then I'm a happy camper.

What if you shoot over 80, does the fun stop?

Having fun and not really sure how to explain but at the end of the round I can tell if I've had a good round or not. Probably correlates to how many curse words I've used over the previous 4 hours.

By score for me. Don't care how I hit it if I had a good score.

bogey or better on the par 3's. If I can par at least 2 of them i'll have a good round.

The final score at the end of the round

For me it's fun, and feeling like I hit more "good" shots than bad ones.

If I can look at a round and point to 2 holes that were terrible but I kept calm and recovered with a few pars and bogeys, to be that's a success.

Scoring is nice, but overall the feeling that I hit the ball well for the most part is a success. That and the ability to forget a bad shot/hole quickly. If I hit the ball like crap all day I won't be super happy.

when shooting close to or lower of my handicap, I know I am having a good day

How well I hit the ball. I want to hit the center of the face, I want a certain ball flight, I look for a certain sound. I am captivated by being able to make that ball do exactly what I want it to do. If I am able to come close to that on some shots, I'll score well and feel good about my round.

I have fun either way though, it may just take me an hour to show it lol.

How well I hit the ball. I want to hit the center of the face, I want a certain ball flight, I look for a certain sound. I am captivated by being able to make that ball do exactly what I want it to do. If I am able to come close to that on some shots, I'll score well and feel good about my round.

I have fun either way though, it may just take me an hour to show it lol.
Bingo nailed it for me. If I'm striking irons well and hitting wedges close and doing what I'm envisioning it'll be a good day. I think I'd rather shoot a few strokes higher and hit the ball well rather than shoot lower and scramble for everything. If we're talking just a casual round of course.

I judge success by continuing to improve. As long as I feel some part of my game is getting better then I believe I am succeeding.

Several years ago when I played almost every day, I judged it on score. If I wasn't shooting somewhere in the mid-low 70s are better, I wasn't happy. Now that I only get to play 4-5 times a month, I judge it by how I felt like I hit the ball throughout the round. Even if I don't score particularly well, as long as I hit the ball fine and gave myself a chance to score well, I'm happy.

Back