Titleist ProV1 commercials

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
Seems every ProV1 commercial shows a close up of a ball core being spun at high speed & some kind of a brightly colored high voltage electronic spark discharge is being applied to the ball - seems like a really odd manufacturing process (I'm an engineer, thus my curiousity). They love to show this in their commercials (it looks pretty cool) - anyone have any insider information of why this is done in golf ball manufacturing ??

Last edited:
no insider information on that part. Wonder why they haven't mentioned anything about them lowering their compression? #CompressTheBallBoomTheBall

no insider information on that part. Wonder why they haven't mentioned anything about them lowering their compression? #CompressTheBallBoomTheBall

Hahaha, yes!! But the ball doesn't know how hard you swing....high speed cameras show!

They did last generation. This year was a continuation of that, but it's in the marketing material I believe.

As for the spark, no clue.

The entire industry seems to be focusing on lowering compression ... probably with the goal of maximizing spin now that they've taken real grooves away from us.

The entire industry seems to be focusing on lowering compression ... probably with the goal of maximizing spin now that they've taken real grooves away from us.
I was thinking the exact same thing the other day with regards to them getting the rid of grooves which cut into the ball... Now is there a rule against how much a golf ball can compress?

Tap tap taparoo

Just not really the case. While most of the industry has lowered compression recently, it has been a trend because they have seen it work. Spin reduction has been going on long before the groove rule, see wound balls. While some companies have been touting how much lower compression works, other companies have told consumers that it is nonsense and then gone ahead and reduced compression. Makes it quite interesting in that if it does not improve things, why do so?

Seems every ProV1 commercial shows a close up of a ball core being spun at high speed & some kind of a brightly colored high voltage electronic spark discharge is being applied to the ball - seems like a really odd manufacturing process (I'm an engineer, thus my curiousity). They love to show this in their commercials (it looks pretty cool) - anyone have any insider information of why this is done in golf ball manufacturing ??

To answer your original question; I've watched some shows on how they make golf balls, and from what they explain, they electrically charge the core of the ball so that it bonds to the cover better.

Edit: here's a video that explains some of it.
http://www.pgatour.com/video/2013/09/05/horschel-tours-titleist-golf-ball-plant.html

Last edited:
To answer your original question; I've watched some shows on how they make golf balls, and from what they explain, they electrically charge the core of the ball so that it bonds to the cover better.

Edit: here's a video that explains some of it.
http://www.pgatour.com/video/2013/09/05/horschel-tours-titleist-golf-ball-plant.html

Likely a high voltage/low amperage (static) discharge that burns the dust and loose material off the core which would improve adhesion of the cover.. That's why you see blue (static) and a little lick or two of other colours (stuff burning off). Any other method of cleaning would create static and attract more dust to the core.

There is also the possibility that they negatively charge the core, and positivity charge the material the cover is made of, so that they are attracted and bond. (Similar to process used in electroplating and powder coating.). Pretty efficient way of doing things.

Titleist says the ProV is the ball that fits everyone...
(No kidding @ $50/doz...)
Then why make the other models?

I mean the ProV line is for everyone.....
It's the peoples ball!

Titleist says the ProV is the ball that fits everyone...
(No kidding @ $50/doz...)
Then why make the other models?

I mean the ProV line is for everyone.....
It's the peoples ball!

Everyone makes low end balls for people who don't want to spend $50 a dozen. I don't think they are telling anyone that the Velocity is better than the Pro V for swing speed X.

Everyone makes low end balls for people who don't want to spend $50 a dozen. I don't think they are telling anyone that the Velocity is better than the Pro V for swing speed X.
That makes sense, but the prov1x doesn't. If prov1 is the ball for everyone where does the x come in?

I like titleist balls, that marketing spin was just a weak attempt IMO.

That makes sense, but the prov1x doesn't. If prov1 is the ball for everyone where does the x come in?

I like titleist balls, that marketing spin was just a weak attempt IMO.

The commercials are always for Pro V1 and Pro V1x. I don't exactly buy it either, but Titleist takes more hate on this board for their marketing than many others. Callaway can tell you their clubs are going to go 14 yards further and avoid any of the same marketing scrutiny we see for Titleist around here.

The commercials are always for Pro V1 and Pro V1x. I don't exactly buy it either, but Titleist takes more hate on this board for their marketing than many others. Callaway can tell you their clubs are going to go 14 yards further and avoid any of the same marketing scrutiny we see for Titleist around here.
I must be blind, because I just don't see the hate. In fact, there are many here who really dig the Titleist gear and balls. Hell I put the new pro v1 into play today and enjoyed it.

Do I think it's one ball for all? Nope. But it doesn't mean I'm hating on them.

Everyone's marketing gets talked about here, but the beauty of THP is we always focus on the performance more, something fits everyone the best.

I think we should sympathize with all golf equipment marketers - they bring something out with ads telling us this is the BEST THING EVER and there HAS NEVER BEEN ANYTHING NEARLY AS GOOD and then... next year they have to do it all again. NOW we have THE BEST THING EVER and this year's ball/club/driver/putter/hat is NOW the GREATEST THING IN THE HISTORY OF ADVANCED CIVILIZATION.

Folks, that is a tough job. Fortunately us golfers are pretty dumb! "Hey, that ball goes further? Get me a case of'em!"

Back