Cleveland CG Black CB Iron Preview

10edb5e984b0401829cee7f9dbddd552.jpg

Really good looking iron.

10edb5e984b0401829cee7f9dbddd552.jpg

Really good looking iron.
When you taking it out on the range or course? I'd be interested in seeing it compared against the Srixon 545.

These are interesting and look great.

These are probably some of my favorite looking irons out there, really like the black look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good looking irons how does the sole widths in the short irons compare to the TT irons? ( soles get to wide in the 9-SW in the TT's)

Good looking irons how does the sole widths in the short irons compare to the TT irons? ( soles get to wide in the 9-SW in the TT's)

I dont have TTs here, but these appear to be thinner.

I dont have TTs here, but these appear to be thinner.

I actually compared the two at the shop yesterday. The CB are a bit thinner than the TT. The Black CB are a really nice feeling iron, and I think the Nippon 1050 is a great stock shaft choice that will work for a lot of people.

Even though they're on the thinner side, the ball still got up there for me, similar flight to the 545.

They do look sharp.

I like that they are offering two distinct options in the Black line. Sharp looking iron.

It would be awesome if they would offer a "Tour" version in this line, similar to CG lines in the past. 44* pitching wedge is not going to appeal to amateurs who are reasonably athletic and cam strike the ball quite well. They will simply hit these clubs too far... gapping issues galore. I feel they need at least one line of irons that cover the 588 cb/mb space. A CG Black Tour option with compact heads and traditional lofts would fit the bill nicely.

It would be awesome if they would offer a "Tour" version in this line, similar to CG lines in the past. 44* pitching wedge is not going to appeal to amateurs who are reasonably athletic and cam strike the ball quite well. They will simply hit these clubs too far... gapping issues galore. I feel they need at least one line of irons that cover the 588 cb/mb space. A CG Black Tour option with compact heads and traditional lofts would fit the bill nicely.

The crazy part of this is if you look at the best selling irons by every company the last 5 years, this is simply not accurate. Then add that with lower CG available now then ever before in irons, lowering loft is as much a necessity as it is anything else. Gapping should never really be an issue with both GW and wedges available in any loft imaginable.

I think with Srixon's 545 and 745 series you've got pretty much everything you can ask for outside a true blade, which you can get via Japan if you really must.

I get the desire to see a CG label on an iron like that, but looking at this and the rest of their current offerings it makes sense. Designed for the guy that doesn't really want the oversized CG Black, but still could use some distance and forgiveness help. I think it's a good complement to their lineup and one that I can really appreciate based on both my needs and my preferences.

Look for a full set of in-hand photos Thursday or Friday.

I think with Srixon's 545 and 745 series you've got pretty much everything you can ask for outside a true blade, which you can get via Japan if you really must.

I get the desire to see a CG label on an iron like that, but looking at this and the rest of their current offerings it makes sense. Designed for the guy that doesn't really want the oversized CG Black, but still could use some distance and forgiveness help. I think it's a good complement to their lineup and one that I can really appreciate based on both my needs and my preferences.

Look for a full set of in-hand photos Thursday or Friday.

totally agree here. the CG brand being used for mid-high hdcp and those wanting less bulk have the CB model. The slower swing speeds being marketed in the woods line while they use the Srixon line for their better player marketing.

i think anyone who wanted to game Cleveland would find either of the two iron sets suitable.

Suspect these willl go a little under the radar, but they've got me pretty intrigued. Talk about an enigma. Between the lack of info published and Cleveland's website (that lacks in details at times) I have far more questions than I normally do going into a review.

Particularly interested in how well they handle off center shots and how they look at address, both in comparison to my gamers.

this one really has my attention too, I am looking forward to the review.

did you get them yet?

I really, really want to try these irons. They look fantastic

this one really has my attention too, I am looking forward to the review.

did you get them yet?

Not yet. Tomorrow some time and then will hopefully be able to get pics up either tomorrow night or Friday. Thursday is a silly busy day and evening for me.

I really, really want to try these irons. They look fantastic

I think they do to in the stock photos. Have a feeling they are better in person too.

Suspect these willl go a little under the radar, but they've got me pretty intrigued. Talk about an enigma. Between the lack of info published and Cleveland's website (that lacks in details at times) I have far more questions than I normally do going into a review.

Particularly interested in how well they handle off center shots and how they look at address, both in comparison to my gamers.

My guess (based on REAL limited swing with them)

High and straight, very soft feel at impact (if that makes sense)
Not quite as forgiving as 545s on toe, but not totally penal

I'm especially interested in your thoughts on these in comparison to the 545s. I took a few swings with them the other day, but it was on mats, and I didn't exactly bring my best. I guess the one thing that's surprising me the most about these is that they appear to be more expensive than the Srixons. I've only price I've seen is the 4-PW for $899.

I'm especially interested in your thoughts on these in comparison to the 545s. I took a few swings with them the other day, but it was on mats, and I didn't exactly bring my best. I guess the one thing that's surprising me the most about these is that they appear to be more expensive than the Srixons. I've only price I've seen is the 4-PW for $899.

I didn't realize that.

Should get a trial by fire right away since courses are opening up this week it appears.

the first post says $699

the first post says $699

The regular blacks are $699 but the CB show up as $899 on the Cleveland site for 4-PW and 5-DW.

Interesting that the steel and graphite shafts are the same lengths At 39.5" the 4 iron is 3/8" longer than the TT 4 iron. Also the lies seem standard and not 1 degree upright like the TT's . Seems to have a little more offset from the photos. With the long 4i you may only need 1 club between 3w and 4i and if you go 4- DW it leaves space for a SW and LW in your bag

Last edited:
Back