Switch from mallet to blade?

zbeekner4

Proud 2019 Grandaddy Alum
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been struggling as of late with my putting. I've always been a mallet/face-balanced putter. Never really ever put a blade in the bag. However, I've been rolling mallets and blades (Specifically Huntington Beach collection from Cleveland) at the PGA Superstore near my house and I've noticed I've been draining more putts with blade putters than any of the face balanced/mallet putters. Has anyone been a true mallet putter and made a successful switch to a blade putter? Or maybe switched and it was a disaster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went the other way with it and saw great success. Sometimes one just fits someone better than the other.

I've switched from exclusively using mallets to using a blade and I will say it was an improvement for my putting. I also think the type of putter you use should correlate to your natural putting stroke also, whether its straight back/foward or on an arc.

Edit: I will say my change was probably more of a mental thing than actual stroke.. A blade makes me feel like I need to focus more on my stroke.

Last edited:
I've been struggling as of late with my putting. I've always been a mallet/face-balanced putter. Never really ever put a blade in the bag. However, I've been rolling mallets and blades (Specifically Huntington Beach collection from Cleveland) at the PGA Superstore near my house and I've noticed I've been draining more putts with blade putters than any of the face balanced/mallet putters. Has anyone been a true mallet putter and made a successful switch to a blade putter? Or maybe switched and it was a disaster?

I would suggest you get a putter fitting. This will go a long way to determine what your putter shape should be, but could identify how you are impacting the ball and the arc in your putting stroke. After going through one myself I realized a face balanced or slight toe hang was best for me, i had to adjust the stock loft and lie. overall I will prefer a mallet over a blade, but if I do putt with a blade its a #1W or a notchback. I can go between both pretty regularly with great results.

I went from using CS mallets to blades and have been happy. I'm not a great putter by any stretch but putters with more hang seem to work better for me. I have a fairly strong arc in my putting stroke and seem to be able to deliver the face square more consistently. You can get mallet putters that are not face-balanced if you are more comfortable with that shape.

I would suggest you get a putter fitting. This will go a long way to determine what your putter shape should be, but could identify how you are impacting the ball and the arc in your putting stroke. After going through one myself I realized a face balanced or slight toe hang was best for me, i had to adjust the stock loft and lie. overall I will prefer a mallet over a blade, but if I do putt with a blade its a #1W or a notchback. I can go between both pretty regularly with great results.

I actually currently game a Odyssey Works #1W CB with some success. Thanks for the feedback. I do have more of a square to square putting stroke but i feel comfortable making a bigger arc when I know I have a blade in my hand...

I bounce between the two. Sometime some works better than the other. Sometimes one brand works better than another. Just really depends on what's working for me

I switch back and forth depending how I feel and can have good results with both.

It really shouldn't matter either way as long as you can start the ball on line. Unfortunately, making putts in a store doesn't tell you much. Bring a dime with you and put it about 16" in front of a ball. Using different length stroke see which one rolls the ball over the center of the dime most consistently.

This will enable you to judge actual performance and compare putters. Or you could choose what looks nice and hope it works for you

I played mallets almost exclusively for 20 years. This past year I made the jump to a blade style putter. I originally went with a Newport, but realized I didn't have enough arc in my swing to really accommodate the weighting. Ultimately went to a Notchback, and love that it's almost SBST similar to a mallet, but much prettier at address :)

I switched from an SI5 to an blade and am putting much better. It's certainly a different look bt I'm enjoying it so far.

I switched and my putting has never been better.

Its all what you like. I was always a blade guy because I felt like they gave me better feel than a mallet but right now Im using a mallet because I wanted something that ism more forgiving.

Back