What do YOU overanalyze when it comes to gear?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
So, I've taken a bit of a step back the last week or so and just observed, and its become clear that some people REALLY overanalyze certain things about what they play. Yes, I know its human nature and always pursuing something, but even when facts are presented from some of the best minds in the business who develop the clubs, self rationalization endures.

So, for you, what do you overanalyze?

Aftermarket vs stock shafts?
Lofts?
Length (does 1/4" in an iron REALLY matter?)?
Forged vs Cast?
Offset?

Whatever else? NOTHING IS NOT AN OPTION! THINK!

For me, its offset, I overthink it like a mofo and it pisses me off. But I just cant get over it mentally. It used to be shafts, but I have realized the truth is the HEAD matters the most, and R&D people will tell you the same.

Groove rule and spin into the greens. Probably matters to my game zero percent.

I probably under analyze to a point where it hurts me some. I need to do some overanalyzing!

Offset. I have to have just the right amount.

The number on the bottom of the club vs. the loft. I *know* you guys are right that it doesn't matter, it just tweaks the little OCD part of my brain that says it's not right.

Offset. Never thought it really bothered me up until recently so now I keep an eye on it.

Thank goodness for a plethora of options to fit anyone's personal tastes.

Maybe it's the fact I haven't been playing very long but I don't over analyze any of this I don't think.. I'm always searching for new stuff, but I think that's just because I like new stuff

Length gets in my head. I can hit my 7i awesome (for me), but not the 6i. The 6i just looks long to me and it gets my head every time I pulled that club.

Lately it has been lofts and bounce/grinds with the wedges.

Prior to this? Driver shaft for sure. Low/mid spin, mid spin etc.

Tap tap taparoo

Nothing is not an option people! THINK! LOL

Usually offset for me also. I know its mental but if I look down at too much offset I feel like I'm going to hit a huge duck hook no matter what. The other technical stuff doesn't bother me, as these days I'm genuinely more concerned with my score over any other stuff

Probably shaft weight.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Shafts. Length. My own damn swing.

Probably shaft weight.

Ohh maybe this for me. I find myself immediately turned off lightweight shafts... I think it messes with my tempo, but probably in my head

probably shafts. i have played some drivers with stock shafts and have been happy with performance and others not so much. While i won't dispute the experts that the head is what matters. I have seen improvement in performance not only for some aftermarket shafts for not only me but also some of the guys i play with.

i have tinkered probably to my detriment with a couple shafts and heads trying to find a perfect combo that was better than what i had. for some reason i am looking for that holy grail of drivers that gives me long, straight and easy to hit. but i have also come to the realization my swing is something that needs as much tweaking to help with that.

I'm going with Length. I no I've been told 1/4" doesn't matter, but the mere thought of it definitely bothers me.

As far as what I notice first, that would be offset. But I don't overanalyze it, and it doesn't really bug me, it's just something I always notice.

~Rock

Offset now and use to be Shafts

Learned on my JPX825 that for me offset wasn't my friend.

For me its distance. For instance I love the Titleist AP line but I hit so many other irons sets further and I know exactly why but I still can not give up those yards.

Probably shaft weight.

Weight is an interesting one. I'm not sure I overanalyze it, but I certainly think beliefs about said shafts need MORE consideration.

It's been a recent change, but I am finding more offset to be a negative for me. So put me in that category.

Weight is an interesting one. I'm not sure I overanalyze it, but I certainly think beliefs about said shafts need MORE consideration.

I've gotten into the habit or OCD tendencies of trying to increase weight by 10g from one wood to another. Does it mean anything at all performance wise? Chances are, no.

I would have to say lofts for me and finding the perfect gapping. I don't know enough about shafts, length is standard and offset I don't pay attention to that too much.

What do YOU overanalyze when it comes to gear?

And putters. Boy do I ever over analyze those. I have this thought that a plumbers neck is ugly and won't work for me due to the head offsetting the shaft.

If I'm wrong, I could be leaving strokes out there.

I over-analyze the top and bottom of my bag setup, I keep thinking about what wedge set to use, or how many woods/hybrids, so I guess overall, it's bag setup that I over-analyze.

Back