First place I played was a work league and they had a strict "no gimmes" rule. I've played that way ever since and brought my son up that way. When grouped for a casual round our standard responses are usually one of

"It's not automatic for me (him)."

"I have to hear that sound. Nothing like it."

Both of which are true.

We play with gimmes from about 2 feet away unless it is tied going into the last hole. A gimme is granted by the other not taken. If the other doubts the length we putt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gimmes are all match dependant. Casual round, I dont care what the other person does, but in a match, I like be somewhat generous early, but tighten up as the match goes on.

In my club's weekend game, any putt is good if it is inside the leather of the grip, which is usually about 2 feet. I feel that is a fair rule for a game like that.

I generally don't mind giving a gimme to someone, however I am gonna see how they putt on about the first 3-5 holes, if they make everything inside 6 foot then I will give them all the 3 footer they want. If they start out missing 3 footers then no, I won't give them any putts.
I prefer to putt everything out.

The guys I play with we give them. No set standard, just how we are feeling or playing that day.

I'll both give and take them, although my preference is to putt out. If I don't make those putts in a round, I'm not going to get any better at them.

I accept gimmes, and give them out as well. Usually 1ft or less. Sometimes more. Sometimes much more.

Usually the gimme length increases or decreases upon how well you are putting that day. Sinking some longer putts? Longer gimmes.

Attitude towards them usually changes dependent on if it is in competition or not. League play? Sure gimmes. League final in crunch time? Not so much.

Gimmes in our outings are as follow. Putt out for eagles, birdies and pars and bogeys. Everything else are putter grip gimmies. I've seen people shank a 8" putt for $25.

Problem we have out here are the Asian guys in there 60's+. Gimmes are any putt on the green basically. Played with two guys a year ago. 25ft putt gets to 5ft and his buddy goes. 'It's good". What he's 5ft away. There's a good chance he misses that.

As a general rule, no, I do not give myself a putt in a round that counts for anything. I play in a lot of stroke play tournaments and we putt everything out. I match play events, obviously if someone gives me a putt, I take it. Play with some guy occasionally where their normal game is they given everything that is inside the length of the putter grip (not inside the leather). When playing with those guys, usually for trivial stakes, yes I will pick one up. But, I would say that probably out of 125+ rounds every year, less than 20% of them is gimmes involved.

Wait, there's a difference?

Do you take gimmes? Yes - see below
Do you give them? Yes - see above
Do you have a set length? - No
Does your attitude change depending on the stakes/weather/season? Yes - I can't recall ever giving a putt that would cinch the match and I have a reputation for being overly generous with gimmes.

I don't mind anybody taking any length gimmes in a casual round. I don't play much competitive golf outside of THP events so I have to remember to pay attention on short putts. I might move to the inside the leather situation just to be consistent.

Don't take them for myself but will gladly accept them if someone is willing to give me a putt. I do give putts within a couple of feet when playing in any kind of situation. That does change though if my competitor does not return the favor.

I'll be better at paying attention this year, I promise. :angel: :good:

As a general rule, no, I do not give myself a putt in a round that counts for anything. I play in a lot of stroke play tournaments and we putt everything out. I match play events, obviously if someone gives me a putt, I take it. Play with some guy occasionally where their normal game is they given everything that is inside the length of the putter grip (not inside the leather). When playing with those guys, usually for trivial stakes, yes I will pick one up. But, I would say that probably out of 125+ rounds every year, less than 20% of them is gimmes involved.

Wait, there's a difference?

I think that inside the leather means that the ball would be between the bottom end of the grip if you put the putter head in the hole and Rick is referring to the length of the actual grip (bolded part above).

I never assume a putt will be given and I never ask "is that good". If I'm offered a gimme I'll gladly take it. I am quite liberal with gimmes with in the leather to my fellow competitors.

I like to putt out as I need all the practice putting I can get. That said, I like to give gimme's but don't mind if the person wants to putt out instead. If given, I will definitely take it, but it doesn't bother me too much if I don't get given.... unless it's a situation where giving them is expected for the pace of play and I'm not getting given them. then I get a little bummed haha.

I putt everything out during casual rounds. I want to know my true score at the end of the round, and you'd be surprised by the putts I can find a way to miss.

If I'm playing competitively with buddies I'll take any kind of gimme somebody is willing to give. Unfortunately that's so rare that I don't remember to give them as often as I should.

Gimmes for everyone! Make the first putt from 3ft and in, and the rest are given all day from there. I don't play for money or competition, so who cares.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I take them and give them inside the leather. Why because Me First and The Gimmie Gimmies. Lol.

Our Men's Golf Association has a 18 inch gimme rule for pace of play

I liked to putt everything out, and rarely played gimmies.

I have seen some of my friends who play gimmies all the time get pretty shaky over short putts when carryovers start stacking up during a nassau or local tournament. You can stand there and watch their hands shaking, and their putting rhythm go all to hell. If was looking for a partner in a 2 man tourney, or nassau, I usually sought out the best putters.

I liked to putt everything out, and rarely played gimmies.

I have seen some of my friends who play gimmies all the time get pretty shaky over short putts when carryovers start stacking up during a nassau or local tournament. You can stand there and watch their hands shaking, and their putting rhythm go all to hell. If was looking for a partner in a 2 man tourney, or nassau, I usually sought out the best putters.

I'd be one of those who gets shaky over short putts. Gimmes are given generously with the guys I play with. Last 5 rounds I've made it a point to not take any and have missed about 3 putts that would've been deemed gimmes by my regular playing partners.

I'd be one of those who gets shaky over short putts. Gimmes are given generously with the guys I play with. Last 5 rounds I've made it a point to not take any and have missed about 3 putts that would've been deemed gimmes by my regular playing partners.

You're in Puerto Rico? Where do you play?

I miss my days running around the Island.

I played Palmas Del Mar & Rio Mar quite frequently, and Berwind as well.

I heard they opened the old Conquistador again?

Yes I take them, yes I give them. Its all dependent on if its a fun round or serious round, but typically inside the leather is the rule we go by. All birdies or eagles have to be putted however unless they are kick ins. Sometimes I wont give a putt if its to halve a hole during match play and its on the bubble or there is a lot of break to the putt.

I always thought it was one putter length...doh! :banghead: you mean I've been giving all those putts away. Seriously, a foot to a foot and a half is a gimme in my book

Usually within the putter grip is good. However, depending on how good or bad someone is putting that may or may not have earned that gimmie. Also, birdies and pars are usually putted out.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

If for a round I'm posting for my hcap or playing for money I'll always putt them or have the other person put them.

A casual round with friends usually anything within the leather is good.

For match play I'll make my opponent hit a few to show me they deserve to be given those short putts, but reserve the right to make them putt in key situations

Yes, but it has to be a tap in, inside the grip, a putt nobody will miss.

I'm certainly not a fan of those longer gimme's for bogey or worse that so many seem to take, I putt those every time and think everyone should.

Back