Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I know we're have a thread about this before, but it's been quite a while and things change.

Do you take gimmes?
Do you give them?
Do you have a set length?
Does your attitude change depending on the stakes/weather/season?

More importantly, why?

When I was 15 I had a 1 foot putt, I asked my Dad if that was good. He said and I quote, "it's not bad". I finish out all putts ever since!

The league I was in last year used the "inside the grip" rule as a gimme.

Don't take them for myself but will gladly accept them if someone is willing to give me a putt. I do give putts within a couple of feet when playing in any kind of situation. That does change though if my competitor does not return the favor.

I usually putt everything out, just as a point of practice and I love to hear the ball rattle at the bottom of the cup. I will give putts to the guys I play with regularly but it does depend on the circumstance and length of the putt. Less on the line the longer the putt given.

If the group is playing for skins I always check with the other guys to make sure a putt is good (if it isn't just a tap in) and will almost never give a birdie or eagle putt even if it is sitting on the edge because we should always make the legit bird/eagle.

The league I was in last year used the "inside the grip" rule as a gimme.

I play in what I consider to be a big money game some weekends during the summer (30-40 dollars) and they play within the leather as well, to avoid any variation between the groups. I think it's a great way of allowing it while avoiding overly generous people from providing a distinct advantage.

It all depends for me really. If we're not playing for anything and there's nothing on the line you can take whatever you want. I may offer a "that's good" on the first few holes to get a vibe on how my playing partner feels. I however have gotten used to putting everything out. My playing partners this year putt everything out and that's what I've gotten used to and do now.

I find that friends give me gimmies because they're sick off all my missed putts and just want to get moving to the next hole.

We play in the leather as well. Easy way to measure without arguments. I would say the main reason is to speed up play and at that distance most people are going to make them 90% of the time anyway.

My League plays inside the leather and it works fine. Obviously all tournaments are putted out.

I've played some $20 nassaus where guys would give putts inside of 3'...But they obviously didn't have to.

I admit to struggling with the gimmes. Sometimes I give some that I probably shouldn't and sometimes I don't give some that I probably should.

It depends. When giving them, I'll say "it's good for me if it's good for you" in case they want to putt it out. I don't like to take gimme's much. But with THPers they tend to flow freely so the take and give rate is a lot higher!

At our course, we are always playing for money so everyone agreed there are no gimmes. In casual rounds I give and take 1-2 ft gimmes. It speeds things up and doesn't make it seem too important and everyone has a nice relaxing, enjoyable experience with your friends.

I'll take all the gimmies! Although I usually limit myself to inside the leather....usually!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

I will give then when I can tell the others I am playing with think they should be given. But truthfully I don't like giving putts or taking them. Golf for me is meant to be played out. Many can miss a 1 foot putt. Personal opinion is you should want to make the putt no matter how close, you finish out your hole and know you made the shots when needed even it it was a tap in. I try not to take gimmies and it has cost me but I like knowing I played out my hole and didn't take a freebie. Don't really have a set length just go by how the person is playing that day.

I will take and give them. The distance varies by situation but 3' and in is usually a good distance for me to give them.

If it's within a foot i'll dish them out but only if it's for bogey +. You gotta finish out those birdie/par putts.

As a general rule, no, I do not give myself a putt in a round that counts for anything. I play in a lot of stroke play tournaments and we putt everything out. I match play events, obviously if someone gives me a putt, I take it. Play with some guy occasionally where their normal game is they given everything that is inside the length of the putter grip (not inside the leather). When playing with those guys, usually for trivial stakes, yes I will pick one up. But, I would say that probably out of 125+ rounds every year, less than 20% of them is gimmes involved.

I know we're have a thread about this before, but it's been quite a while and things change.

Do you take gimmes?
Do you give them?

More importantly, why?

Yes, because I'm giving them.

Yes, because I'm taking them.

No, I will give longer as they prove their ability to make putts and depending on where the match sits. I'm pretty lenient though.

I'll play it by how their given out and how I've been giving them. I'm pretty relaxed when playing, if my opponents it hitting good shots, I'll reward it. Makes it tougher on me, and I love the challenge.

My usually Sunday group is pretty liberal about giving them, no one ever asks. I finish even if I hear it's good, I just like the sound of the ball falling in the cup. I've been known to be more lenient to playing partners whom are having a really rough round, figuring it might help make the round more enjoyable than missing a 3' for a double.

In our skins games birdies and eagles are putted out regardless of length. Because holes are not won with par. Pars or higher are at the discretion of the foursome. Usually it is inside of 3 feet.

In our cash games everything is putted out regardless of length or score. Only exception is if a putt has no bearing on the match. At that point the person usually picks up.

Most everyone in our group plays in tournaments. As we get closer to tournaments most everyone starts putting everything out for the practice.

Do you take gimmes?
Do you give them?

More importantly, why?
Most rounds if it's within a putter length 3 ft, my brother and I in a casual round will do a gimme, but most times we play is in a money game stableford, so we putt everything in.

I still like to putt it in either way, but if there is a 90 percent chance of making it in a casual round my brother and I do it also to help speed up play.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I give them, I take them and there is no set distance. I judge by putt difficulty, score and what type of round is it. General rule is if its for birdie or better or to tie the hole putt it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back