Do You Keep An Accurate Handicap?

Yes, GHIN. I've never competed in a handicapped tournament, but thought it would be good to use to measure my improvement.

I use GHIN also, don't post every round since a lot of times I play 2 balls for practice but do try to post at least one round a month.

I have not. I plan to this coming year tho.

I do, since it's a part of my club membership although I haven't posted many rounds lately because I've been working on my game, so I haven't been playing 100% by the rules. The good thing is that even with the rules changes, most of my rounds are played with at least 1 other handicap player.

I have decided that once spring has sprung, I am going to play most of my rounds for handicap and make a concerted effort to get under an 18 again.

I keep GHIN as part of my league. For many years, I never held one and always "thought" I knew what my cap was. Boy was I wrong.

JM

No. GameGolf calculates some estimate of HC so I have a rough idea but I haven't kept an official HC as I haven't needed it. Given the new rules of no solo rounds, that makes it very unlikely as I play a lot of solo rounds and most of the rest are when I get paired as a single with others and, IME, those I get paired with aren't keeping a HC.

No. GameGolf calculates some estimate of HC so I have a rough idea but I haven't kept an official HC as I haven't needed it. Given the new rules of no solo rounds, that makes it very unlikely as I play a lot of solo rounds and most of the rest are when I get paired as a single with others and, IME, those I get paired with aren't keeping a HC.

Just FYI..it only takes 5 rounds to establish an initial handicap index. That's 5 rounds over your entire life. As for whom you play with, nothing says they have to be people that have a handicap. In fact, they don't even have to play. It can be your wife riding along.

I kept an as accurate one as oob was, but when it went away I quit keeping track.

Had a good convo about this on the course the other day. I know there are rounds when I blow up an early hole or two and stop keeping track. I think I am really doing myself a disservice when I do it.

Had a good convo about this on the course the other day. I know there are rounds when I blow up an early hole or two and stop keeping track. I think I am really doing myself a disservice when I do it.

I would agree. While we hate to see our indexes trend up, we are amateurs and will have blow up holes.

Heck I posted a decent round last week and went from 12.1 to 11.7. Posted an 88 yesterday with a triple and quad and am now trending to 12.4. While I think I should be lower....my inconsistency states otherwise and you nailed it with doing yourself a disservice....only hurts us when we go to handicapped events if it's not accurate (especially if 3-5 strokes lower than it should be).

You can save a bad start to the round. Plus if rounds ends badly, odds are it won't even count anyway

I do. And I do so to track my progress and to have one for THP events. I'm not to the point where I would want to enter other events or anything.

I would agree. While we hate to see our indexes trend up, we are amateurs and will have blow up holes.

Heck I posted a decent round last week and went from 12.1 to 11.7. Posted an 88 yesterday with a triple and quad and am now trending to 12.4. While I think I should be lower....my inconsistency states otherwise and you nailed it with doing yourself a disservice....only hurts us when we go to handicapped events if it's not accurate (especially if 3-5 strokes lower than it should be).

Darn right. I played with someone earlier in the year that every time a round started to go south, they would just say "screw it, Im going to mess around". Thats fine and dandy and of course their choice, but they wonder why their handicap doesnt move, or that when they play really good golfers of the same index, they get beat more than not.

I had an official handicap for the last 3/4 years. It's great for seeing when I'm improving or going backwards. This year shows I have been going the wrong direction, but I know why.

I have a GHIN handicap. I needed it to play in a couple NYSGA tournaments in 2015. Debating whether to re-up this year. I can keep my own unofficial handicap to track my progress.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

For the past 14 years I have had an official cap. It is included in my course membership.

I've kept a USGA handicap (GHIN) for years and post all scores in compliance with the Equitable Stoke Control guidelines. I've always played a lot of tournaments, so I've always kept up with it. At one club I belonged to, if you failed to post a score (forgot, whatever), within 24 hours, you got a nasty email from the handicap committee. Miss posting two, and they rewarded you by posting a penalty score equal to your lowest round of the season. A little excessive in my mind, because after a couple of post round beers, it's easy to forget one.

I kept an as accurate one as oob was, but when it went away I quit keeping track.
They still let you plug in your rounds online and it keeps some nice stats and calculates your handicap. Not sure they update courses anymore or not.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I do. Most courses in Sweden requires that you have one to play.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I haven't played enough yet to card a true handicap yet, but fully intend to keep track once I have and adjust it as necessary.

Yep, I keep one for tourneys and to track progress. This year I was on us handicap next year I'm switching back to ghin because it's part of my club membership.

I have a GHIN the past couple years due to playing in tournaments.

Previously I just had an assumed unofficial handicap I calculated since I didn't have any practical application for an official.

Yeah, didn't really keep one last year, but this coming year I'll be keeping one again since I'll be trying to do more tournaments

Back