JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I know top line gives people some fits online, but my question is sole width. Does the size of the sole bother you? If so, do you play hybrids? And if the answer is yes to that question, why does the sole width not bother with hybrids?

I don't mind a wide sole. I played the Cleveland HB3 for a long time and they don't get much wider than that.

Soles don't bother me unless they are narrow and a sharp leading edge. I prefer a bit of width on the sole, doesn't have to be hybrid wide but just a bit.

I don't think bother is the right word for me. I look down and when I see none of the sole width, I like it...but that doesn't mean it's better for me. And it doesn't mean I necessarily won't (and don't) play clubs that have wider soles. I have one 4 hybrid in the bag, and I am VERY inconsistent with it. Both from a distance and direction standpoint. I actually lean on it more for punch shots under trees and even bump-and-run chips around the green moreso than full shots from any particular distance.

I went from Razr X Blacks to XR Pros this year and the narrowing of the sole never entered my mind once. I can also hit a hybrid or not. Sole width is the least of my concerns.

I guess it doesn't bother me but I tend to reach for the thinner soled irons. I recently (this year) just took the hybo out of the bag for a driving iron. Although the sole on a hybo doesn't bother me what so ever and depending how the course sets up I will occasionally throw the hybo back in the bag.

When I lost my game and was looking for something more forgiving than the Mizuno MP57's I was playing at the time, the sole width of other clubs bothered me a lot. I don't know why, but I just didn't even like looking at them in my bag.

Fast forward 5 or 6 years and now I don't even think about it.

Doesn't bother me, but one thing that does drive me nuts is when you can see the cavity at address. I can handle it in a 3 or 4 iron maybe, but beyond that it just bugs me. I'm sure I could get used to it if I hit a set of irons really well.

Never once give it a thought honestly.

It used to, especially on wedges but now I prefer wider soles if I can get them.

Too wide bothers me and I don't need help launching things in the air with mid to short irons. I don't want blade thin either.

I don't play hybrids but am considering adding either a 5 wood or 3 hybrid to replace my 3 iron. I can mishit all of them regularly, but when I mishit with a 3 iron its usually fat and I don't get anywhere. So I'm stuck between a miss that is fat, straight, and 10-20 yards long or one that is pretty solid with most if not all of my intended distances, but potentially way off line.

I love hybrids and can go either way on iron soles. One thing I am finding is that many (not all) irons that I have played with wider soles have some more offset in them and for some reason, I'm having difficulty with that right now.

JM

I prefer more narrow soles as shorter irons tend to grab in the rough for me and wider soles seem to go hand in hand with more offset.

Offset is not my friend.

Hybrids have worked well for me but I prefer more iron like hybrids vs. those shaped like a wood.

I kinda prefer narrow in the shorter irons, a little wider in the mid. It makes it kinda progressive from fairway wood to wedge.

To wide does bother me no reason other than looks. I I've had on again off again relationships with hybrids. I've finally found one I love. It's in there because it gives me more options than carrying a 3 iron. Plus the gapping didn't work out with my 3 and 4. Carried the 3 about 5 yards farther than my 4. The hybo fixed that

My miss is thin, so something too narrow is going to make for a lot of balls skipping over the green. Other than that, I'll happily play a wide-soled iron like a G series or something - seeing the sole at address doesn't bother me at all. Something like the i series, which is progressive through the set is a good middle ground for me.

The look of something like Cleveland's Altitude was something I didn't care for. But, I'm currently gaming an Altitude 3 iron, and, it took no time at all to get used to it.

I like a thinner iron, but don't mind a wide sole hybrid because I see them as two different types of clubs.

Sole width doesn't bother me but I play a a mid to small sole. Hybrids width doesn't bother me either.

I don't mind a thicker sole at all. It's offset that messes with my head the most.

Doesn't bother me at all, and I also play 3 hybrids. I like a little wider bounce in my wedges also.

Nope, wide soles do not bother me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

sole width in irons doesn't bother me at all and I love my hybrids but I hate a wide sole in a wedge (smartsole, rake). Although I have used a few set aw/gw for full swings I have never used them around the green and wouldn't even think about using a set sw.

When I look at an iron I like a narrower sole. Yes I play hybrids, but I look at those more as much smaller head FW than bigger irons. FWIW, I hate looking down at driving irons, and I think looking at a super fat more "iron" looking club isn't what I prefer.

With that said, it doesn't effect performance for me at all and pretty much all clubs do what they intend. It's just my preference visually.

never really played a wide sole so I can't really say performance wise, but the look would drive me nuts I think.

Back