Aerotech Steelfiber vs UST Recoil

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
If you were in the market for new shafts, which would you choose and why?

I have been contemplating one of these. Having only hit the Steelfiber's, I don't have any comparison for the UST's. But if I'm going to drop $400 on a set of iron shafts, I want to know what I'm getting.

Which do you prefer? Does one feel any better than the other? I know what most people are going to say is go get fitted for them. But just for conversation, let's say someone doesn't have the time to do that.

Thoughts?

Based on not having time to go get fit I would probably lean towards the one I could get a better deal on. I personally haven't hit 2 of these side by side at equal weight and Flex profile. I probably would go steelfiber 110 x Flex based on a conversation I had with Aerotech a while back or Recoil 125 proto F5. Tough decision to make that's why it probably would come down to pricing based on your OP for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely get fitted, but as a starting point, the Steelfibers are going to play stiffer to flex, launch a little lower, and generally feel a little more like steel. Recoils will be a little softer and feel a little more like graphite with a little higher launch and spin. Vibration damping is very good in both but may be slightly better in the Recoils.

The Recoil Prototypes, on the other hand, will in my experience compare quite closely with the Steelfibers, but maybe feel a little better. Those are really expensive though.

I have been contemplating one of these. Having only hit the Steelfiber's, I don't have any comparison for the UST's. But if I'm going to drop $400 on a set of iron shafts, I want to know what I'm getting.

Which do you prefer? Does one feel any better than the other? I know what most people are going to say is go get fitted for them. But just for conversation, let's say someone doesn't have the time to do that.

Thoughts?

Ummm, maybe find someone you know that has both and try them out?

Not a sermon, just a thought :alien:

Thoughts?

Recoil launched higher for me, and felt better. I think SteelFiber is a much more stable, firm construction profile that bridges the gap between steel and graphite, favouring heavily on the firmer steel profile. Recoil promotes a much livelier mid section (at least for me).

I ended up with 110 SteelFiber in my Apex irons for what the numbers kicked back, but I would have to say I prefer the responsiveness of the Recoil better.

Ummm, maybe find someone you know that has both and try them out?

Not a sermon, just a thought :alien:

Yeah but that person has them in some really questionable heads :act-up:

Thoughts?
I have Recoil 110 F4 (stiff) in all my irons and wedges and you are welcome to hit them in Alabama.

Tried the Steelfiber 95 a couple of years ago and didn't really care for them. That was before I had tried a Recoil shaft. For me, the Recoils are much smoother and more responsive. I saw a little distance loss with the SF's in the same heads I had previously used with Nippon steel shafts of the same weight class. The Recoils yield the same distance and dispersion for me as steel shafts did and I lose the health deteriorating vibration that was causing me issues with steel.

I have Recoil 110 F4 (stiff) in all my irons and wedges and you are welcome to hit them in Alabama, for the cost of one (1) pint of pistachio ice cream.

Tried the Steelfiber 95 a couple of years ago and didn't really care for them. That was before I had tried a Recoil shaft. For me, the Recoils are much smoother and more responsive. I saw a little distance loss with the SF's in the same heads I had previously used with Nippon steel shafts of the same weight class. The Recoils yield the same distance and dispersion for me as steel shafts did and I lose the health deteriorating vibration that was causing me issues with steel.

Fixed for SF.

I didn't care for the Recoils in the higher lofted clubs, wasn't able to hit the shots the way I wanted, felt they just wanted to spin and launch high, this was with the F5's so maybe tipping or stronger flex would have helped. I like the Steel Fibers in the 110 config X soft stepped. Dispersion was better for me compared to the Recoils.

Can't speak for Steelfiber, never have hit them. I swapped to 125g Recoils in a set of back-up irons and they have now become my gamers again. I love the dampening feel and consistency I've seen from the Recoils, which is why I play them now. I previously was playing 130g KBS C-Tapers as I like a heavier feeling iron. I still get the heavy weighting without the overly-abrasive ground contact, so I enjoy the Recoils. I have UST shafts in my driver and 3w wood too, same results there - feel great, very consistent.

Steelfibers proved to be "too stiff" for me and what I wanted to feel swinging my irons. Recoils offered me a better feel throughout my irons, launched at the height I liked, provided all the playability iron shafts did, but with the benefits of not killing me after every round.

if you are worried about ball flight the Recoil Proto's will bring the flight down and they go up to 125gm for weight IIRC.

Looks as though the Recoils are getting more love than the Steelfiber so far. :alien2:

Looks as though the Recoils are getting more love than the Steelfiber so far. :alien2:

It just depends what you're looking for IMO. I really enjoy the Steelfibers, but I did soft step them once to soften up the feel which is often perceived as "boardy" by some.

i felt that recoils were easier to load, and sf felt really stiff. i don't care for either.

Neither! Graphite shafts are one of those bandwagon items on the forum. That's not to say they aren't any good. But they are not for everyone! I tried a few recoils out during fitting. None worked for me with either feel or gave me decent numbers. I ended up with the steel fibers. I gamed them for around 3 months. I ended up changing back to steel.
I didn't like the feel of graphite. I ended up struggling with my distance control. I'm not saying they don't perform, but they do feel very different to steel, and that difference won't be for everyone as I prove. Therefore you HAVE to try both out. Whether it's in a fitting session or you know someone that has some you can try. If you blindly buy on what is written on this forum, you could potentially be left with a costly mistake. Once again, I'm not saying graphite doesn't perform. What I am saying is they won't be for everybody.

The recoils for me were less boardy and easier to hit. Having a lighter shaft in the longer irons felt good too. The steeliness are definitely a lower launching and spinning option but to harsh for my liking

I have steelfiber i110 stiff. Love them. At my fitting, we tried the recoil as they would not be able to build my set with the steelfibers since they were out of them, but when I took several shots with the recoil, they did not feel as good to me and flight and dispersion was not good for me. Steelfiber definitely had better flight and dispersion for me. I also tried the i95 stiff. Between them and the 110s not too much difference slight for me, i think matter of choice in weight. I have the 95s in my wedges and the 110s in my irons. Very happy with them.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I played Recoils in a set of Apex for a handful of rounds a couple of years ago. They were f5 and their heavier offering, I just can't recall the exact model.

Although they were just a bit too stiff for me, I flat-out loved the feel, especially on those swings when I managed enough SS to touch upon their potential. Extrememly smooth and every bit as accurate as steel imo. Tried f4 but they were a bit too soft and launched high as I suffered some ballooning. Gave up on them but always figured that I may revisit in the future.

I just tried Steelfiber today for the very first time. i95 stiff, Apex CF16.

I hit the 5, 7, and PW and compared them side by side by side to my current 5, 7, PW (MX200 5-iron w/TFR 6.0, MP-52 7 & PW w/Rifle 6.0) and MP-54 5, 7 and PW w/KBS Tour stiff.

Although relatively calm by my house, the open and elevated range was howling, wind right in my face. Figured to just concentrate on solid contact to assess feel and the wind would certainly alert me to any ballooning tendencies with each.

The Steelfibers impressed from the very first shot. Although a bit higher that my current clubs, their carry was excellent in the conditions and fairly significantly longer than either Mizuno set.

And I really loved the sensation at impact, a crisp click with subtle feel in the hands. It was like no other shaft I'd ever hit before, reflective of its unique construction.

It was only one range session on a very windy day at that but as I continued to hit, I appreciated the elements as to the information I was getting by hitting each club and playing different shots.

Very impressed so far. For anyone interested, the CF16 with Steelfiber i95 performed best by a fairly good margin followed by my current clubs. The MP-54s with KBS Tours were relegated to the bench after a handful of balls each with just the 5 and 7 irons. I never even bothered to hit the PW as I was ballooning the heck out of the irons. Solid strikes, great feel, all smacked down by the wind. Results surprised me as my guess heading in was the reverse.

Recoils vs Steelfiber? For feel I'd give it a tie. Sensation is a bit different with Recoil feeling smoother but the Steelfiber felt smoother than Rifle yet more consistent for me than Recoil. But bear in mind that fitment was an issue for me with the Recoils whereas flex for the Steelfibers appears to be spot-on for me.

Properly fit I could happily play either but overall I am more impressed with the Steelfibers. First time ever for me hitting a light shaft, so much better than I may have assumed at the onset.

I can only speak to my experience with the recoils, but I love them, if I were to go graphite that would be my choice unless it was clear benefit or performance upgrade going Steelfibers, plus Danny helped me out so I have a bit of bias that way.

I have a brand new set of stiff i110cw's 4-pw looking for a new home

I can't compare the two, but I had no problem coming down in weight from the dgs300 and xps300 to the f4 780 es. The recoils are just so effortless and smooth. I didn't think I would end up with the 86g version (as I traditionally played 110ish), but the numbers didn't lie. Make sure to try a few different weight options built for you SS.

I've played both and like Canadan, saw higher launch out of the recoils. I ended up tipping them and it brought it down a bit without compromising feel of the club head. The steelfibers were different all together for me. They played like a mix between a PX and PXi for me. Very firm in the butt and tip, and I had a difficult time feeling the shaft load if I wasn't swinging well. But when it was on I saw low launch and spin. The spin was enough to stop the ball on the green or back it up, but not too much that the ball would stall out.

I eventually went back to playing c-taper lites with sensicore inserts because I was able to get the feel of the recoils with the launch of the steelfibers.

If you're going to drop $400 on shafts it's worth getting fit. Nothing worse than spending all of that money just to have your game ruined by ill fitting shafts.

Back