Surprisingly fit into an Epic Sub Zero

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
A lot you who know me know that I have been a titleist guy for a long time, but just for fun I went to hit an Epic the other day. The numbers I was seeing on my own were amazing!

I decided to set up a fitting. When I called, I asked about epic and sub zero. I was told that the sub zero was for higher ball speed players, and that immediately ruled it out for me (I have a swing speed around 90 and a smash factor around 1.48)

When I went in for the fitting I was incredibly surprised to see the sub zero with a significantly lower launch and about 20 yards more carry compared to the epic both set to neutral specs.

Either way I am really excited for my first Callaway club, and hopefully those numbers will carry over to the course!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I went into my fitting thinking Epic. And was also fitted into the Sub Zero. My fitter is fitting more people to the SZ than he thought was possible. It does have a higher MOI, I guess it depends on how you hit them. My misses are generally up and down the face so hitting it high doesn't seem to lose distance. I had a pretty good round with it yesterday even though it was only 48° out yesterday.
Good luck with your driver and enjoy the extra distance.

kind of on topic here....i have been loving my xr 16 pro. if i was to believe all that was written about what this club was, i never would have tried it. But, because of what i read here, and a great deal at cpo, i bought one. low launch, low spinning, "pro", smaller head......I have not given the club to any of my playing partners and found that they could not play this club. that being said, with all the good tech in that sub zero, i can't wait to give it a go. glad you like your new driver. gl

I can say I'm not totally surprised by your results.

It all depends on how you get through the ball on what's gonna work best not necessarily just swing speed. If you have a significant + AOA the SZ will definitely keep the LA lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are taking your first steps towards converting over!!

I agree that I am surprised by your results. However, I have seen clubs work for people before that weren't suppose to work. Each person is a little different. Swing speed is not always the only determining factor. It's often how smooth you get to that 90 mph swing speed.

I hope you enjoy your new driver. I believe for many people, though not all, the Epic is a game changer. I believe other players will benefit from other drivers. For me it is. Right now I am spending money on lessons and lots of practice. Eventually, I will most likely get an epic. Though, I will have a fitter fit me for 3 or 4 different drivers (most likely the Epic, M2 and Cobra f7) and pick the one that works best. I have tried the Epic and I gained a little distance (6 to 8 yards). I am frequently at the PGA Superstore near my home and I will try the new SZ, M2 and F7 in the next week or so.

Back