New Eyes & Equipment Tweaks

Knot Right

Reaction score
Vision....

As some of you may already know, I quit the game about 5 1/2 years ago due to a right eye problem that developed out of no wheres. I have a grey circular spot in my right eye vision, and straight lines look a little jagged. I went from playing in the mid 70's to the mid nineties overnight, so I quit playing altogether and went on a pity party for the duration. The extent of my golfing was the TV, and watching friends play.

I hooked up with a Navy Osteopathic, and a Navy Ophthalmologist doctors a couple weeks ago who suggested that even with the problem in the right eye, that they could get my eyes to sync a little better, and maybe gain back some of the depth perception problems that I have been complaining about. They spent about 2 hours going through the lenses and having me reach towards a specific target, and then tossing a bean bag to a spot on the floor. I wasn't totally convinced, right up until my new glasses came across the counter at a local eyeglass center. When I put the new glasses on, it was like seeing all over again. Not perfect, but absolutely awesome. I can actually see the dimples on the ball again at address.

Equipment....

My best friend who is a very solid clubmaking hobbyist, took much of his off time this week to tweak the loft & lie of all my clubs. I made 13 trips back & forth from the range about 5 minutes from my house, back to his garage where he bent my irons to where I liked them. I recently found a set of my beloved MacGregor M85's and put them into my bag. I always bend one iron at a time, and my friend was totally into what I was doing. I think it was from him being happy with seeing the amount of my enthusiasm that he hasn't seen in years. He also reshafted my Cobra hybrid with a DG S-400 wood shaft with D-2 swing weight, and added a thinner GP Tour Wrap grip for me. Overall, I probably beat 2000 balls this week on the range. ( and it hurts)

The test.....

Played solo at Eagle Haven today with cool & clear weather, and the course a bit soggy. Started off with a bogey and a double mainly due to the jitterbugs, not trusting my vision, and excitement. After settling down, I finished the front side in 41. The back side was almost boring with 1 birdie, 3 bogies, and the rest pars. I stopped thinking about the new vision thing as the round progressed, and started going down after the ball again a little more like the old days. The tweaks on the irons ended up being very close, and I felt more confident as the day went on. The new shaft in the hybrid is really nice, and I can go after it without fearing the high hook. I walked back to my truck with a scorecard with a 79 on it.

I know this doesn't seem like much to some of better players on the forum, but I have admit that my eyes were watering while unlacing my shoes on the tailgate of my truck afterwards. I spent most of my golfing days thinking this game was fairly easy, but I ended up eating a lot of humble pie in the past 6 months after returning to the game. The struggle I was going through actually made me appreciate the perspective of my 90's player friends who consistently showed up every weekend to play the blitz with our group, and probably had more enthusiasm for the game than I ever had to begin with.

Beers to good doctors & good friends............................and hello 2017.

Sorry for the long winded post folks.

1KIL2d8.jpg

Congrats on all levels! Great story. Welcome back!

Congrats and welcome back!

That sounds great, congrats.

Great story! As someone with vision issues, I can sort of understand what you were going through. (Not to your extreme, though.)

Now, that bag picture, on the other hand.......you do realize this is THP, and a bag with only ten clubs will not be tolerated, right? :alien:

Never played more than 12 since 1982. :act-up: I keep it simple.

Never needed more wedges since I learned all my shots with a 55-56* SW.

The hybrid fills the gap pretty nicely.

Congrats on the much improved eye sight! Hopefully your game improves greatly!

Great story and welcome back! I love those old MacGregor irons.

Very good tale and not over-long by any means. Nice to see an 8813 in use.

Congrats on making back to the course with such success. I have my own vision issues but I am still enjoying the game.

Great story, glad your able to enjoy golf again!

So very glad to learn about the improvement in you vision and quality of life. I can only hope for more positive advancements to come.

Welcome back!

Congratulations and welcome back.

Back