NW Ohio courses you've played. Give a review.

Jwill

Reaction score
Handicap
What courses in NW Ohio has everyone played this year? How about a little review or if you would go back or not.

I've been playing Belmont a lot obviously as it is my home course. Favorite public courses are Stone Ridge, Red Hawk Run, Heatherdowns, Maumee Bay and Sawmill Creek

Never been up that way. I hit most of the Lima courses. All pretty good considering the amount of rain we've had.

Sawmill Creek is always a great course to play. And you might get lucky and find tee times on golfnow for cheap

The Quarry is a great track that I've played a few times so far this year. If I'm looking for a quick round I'll hit up my CC Prestwick or Raintree. Raintree is nothing special but is a fun course to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play Bluffton, Hidden Creek, and Hawthorne mostly, but have played most of the courses in our area. I did play Country Acres earlier this year and it was in good shape. Friends of mine have said Fostoria CC is in good shape and worth the trip. Stone Ridge is always worth the trip. Red Hawk Run is hit and miss if it is good shape it maybe my favorite track in our area. However the past couple of times I have played it was not in good shape. Riverby Hills between BG and Toledo is a fun little track. Lastly one of my favorite tracks to play is Ottawa Park in Toledo great little track with some interesting holes. In the fall you can usually play all the holes you want with a cart for 20 bucks.

As for the private tracks top of the list would be Inverness though I have not been able to play it. I really like Toledo CC have played a couple of tournaments there and has always been in phenomenal shape. Findlay CC is also really nice.

Not NW Ohio but Cherry Hills and Autumn Ridge in Fort Wayne are worth the drive. Fort Wayne is also home to my favorite and best course I have ever played Sycamore Hills. Sycamore Hills is a private Nicklaus design track on the West Side of Fort Wayne. At one time it was a top 100 course and host the first round of the Web.Com playoffs

I'll be at Bluffton this morning. I golf in a firefighters league, which is usually at Hidden Creek. Not sure what they have going on today. Both very nice courses.

Maumee Bay was a fun one, minus the 45 mph winds

I've played just about everything in NW Ohio. Like some have said Stone Ridge is great, Maumee Bay is a challenge unless you get extremely lucky and have no wind, Red Hawk was great then had some really rough years and is now back on the upswing. I think it might be one of the hardest courses around. I love Hawthorne in Lima, Colonial is also a great challenge. There are 2 courses in Defiance that are pretty nice. Eagle Rock which used to be Kettering CC and Auglaize. Orchard Hills in Bryan has been going downhill a little bit since they became public but is still a good course. Riverby is fantastic and another one that is a hidden gem is White Pines just south of Swanton. I haven't played Valleywood since the flood a few years back but that was always in good shape and you had to hit the ball straight. Findlay CC (aka Marathon Oil CC) is very very nice but unless you know a few people at Marathon it is a pain to get on. If you throw away the back 9 holes at Birch Run in North Baltimore you have a really fun setup. I love the front 9, back is attrocious but they are making some changes. Country Acres between Ottawa and Kalida is a nice track as well. All in all there are quite a few nice courses in this part of the state and thats with leaving out the few in Toledo that are pretty nice.

I've played just about everything in NW Ohio. Like some have said Stone Ridge is great, Maumee Bay is a challenge unless you get extremely lucky and have no wind, Red Hawk was great then had some really rough years and is now back on the upswing. I think it might be one of the hardest courses around. I love Hawthorne in Lima, Colonial is also a great challenge. There are 2 courses in Defiance that are pretty nice. Eagle Rock which used to be Kettering CC and Auglaize. Orchard Hills in Bryan has been going downhill a little bit since they became public but is still a good course. Riverby is fantastic and another one that is a hidden gem is White Pines just south of Swanton. I haven't played Valleywood since the flood a few years back but that was always in good shape and you had to hit the ball straight. Findlay CC (aka Marathon Oil CC) is very very nice but unless you know a few people at Marathon it is a pain to get on. If you throw away the back 9 holes at Birch Run in North Baltimore you have a really fun setup. I love the front 9, back is attrocious but they are making some changes. Country Acres between Ottawa and Kalida is a nice track as well. All in all there are quite a few nice courses in this part of the state and thats with leaving out the few in Toledo that are pretty nice.

I always enjoy playing White Pines.

You know Toledo may be one of the best golf spots in the nation honesty. All the old money from the boom times created a proliferation of pretty good courses that now because of such vast competition are super cheap.

When I worked at Dicks we had a ton of out of towners who whenever visiting would always comment on how amazingly cheap it is to play here for such good quality

You know Toledo may be one of the best golf spots in the nation honesty. All the old money from the boom times created a proliferation of pretty good courses that now because of such vast competition are super cheap.

When I worked at Dicks we had a ton of out of towners who whenever visiting would always comment on how amazingly cheap it is to play here for such good quality

I like Toledo, but I will be honest. The above is hysterical.
Myrtle Beach
All of FL
Hilton Head
Palm Springs
And so many others are on Line 5.

I like Toledo, but I will be honest. The above is hysterical.
Myrtle Beach
All of FL
Hilton Head
Palm Springs
And so many others are on Line 5.

Ha well I'm adding affordability into it. To be able to get $20 tee times on a course like a Stone Ridge does not exist in those places. Don't worry I'm not crazy

Ha well I'm adding affordability into it. To be able to get $20 tee times on a course like a Stone Ridge does not exist in those places. Don't worry I'm not crazy

Sure it does. Heck, I played Grand Cypress for $24 including cart.
And you can play all year round. Its great that you love your golfing area, that is the most important thing, but its really not apples to apples. You are talking about golfing meccas around the country.

The good news is with THP Events, they are all accessible and affordable. Heck we loved our events in Ohio, and have two in Chicago coming up that come with equipment.

The only thing that sucks about golf in Ohio is the weather is the winter. Even then I have had several years were I played all 12 months out of the year.

When you look at the quality of the courses in Ohio and the value you can find. Ohio does just fine for itself. Maybe it doesn't stack up to Myrtle Beach, Palm Springs and some of the other places but IMO it is vastly underrated.

The only thing that sucks about golf in Ohio is the weather is the winter. Even then I have had several years were I played all 12 months out of the year.

When you look at the quality of the courses in Ohio and the value you can find. Ohio does just fine for itself. Maybe it doesn't stack up to Myrtle Beach, Palm Springs and some of the other places but IMO it is vastly underrated.

I agree with this 100% and I also feel like Michigan, especially North Michigan never gets put in there with the Big Dogs, like Myrtle Beach, So Cal, Florida, etc. but the quality of courses/ number of courses/ value of the courses is right up there with the best of them in my opinion.

I agree with this 100% and I also feel like Michigan, especially North Michigan never gets put in there with the Big Dogs, like Myrtle Beach, So Cal, Florida, etc. but the quality of courses/ number of courses/ value of the courses is right up there with the best of them in my opinion.

As someone that travels for a living and has played in almost all 50 states, I enjoy both Michigan and Ohio golf. Im curious to those saying it is on the level or close to these destination places that it is being compared to, how much golf have you played in those areas?

Now dont get me wrong, both places have some great courses, but sheer number of top end courses is no where near that of the others being listed.

I agree as well. Hands down if I have the opportunity 9 out of 10 times I am going to choose MB or Palm Springs. Just so many awesome course in relation to distance.

As someone that travels for a living and has played in almost all 50 states, I enjoy both Michigan and Ohio golf. Im curious to those saying it is on the level or close to these destination places that it is being compared to, how much golf have you played in those areas?

Now dont get me wrong, both places have some great courses, but sheer number of top end courses is no where near that of the others being listed.

Michigan is easily in the top 5 for number of golf courses and the #1 course in the state (Arcadia Bluffs) is routinely a top in the country can be played for $185 during prime season with no deals. The top courses in the "Mecca" areas would laugh at rate. While I'm not saying those areas are bad I'm just saying areas like Michigan just seem to be forgotten. And clearly you need to come golf more in Michigan... It's only a high of 81 today in northern Michigan. Sure beats playing in the sauna down there.

Michigan is easily in the top 5 for number of golf courses and the #1 course in the state (Arcadia Bluffs) is routinely a top in the country can be played for $185 during prime season with no deals. The top courses in the "Mecca" areas would laugh at rate. While I'm not saying those areas are bad I'm just saying areas like Michigan just seem to be forgotten. And clearly you need to come golf more in Michigan... It's only a high of 81 today in northern Michigan. Sure beats playing in the sauna down there.

I dont understand. They would laugh at that rate? Why?
I have played in Michigan since I was a kid. Right now its 83* in FL. It was 84* with a great breeze in Myrtle Beach this past weekend at the THP Event.

Nobody is criticizing Michigan and Ohio Golf. Both are fantastic areas to play. They just do not compete on the same level with the destination areas. The weather comparison as a pro for Michigan is pretty funny though.

You didnt answer my question though. How much golf have you played in those areas that you are comparing Michigan too? Palm Springs, FL, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head?

Im not even sure how its a debate really. Is this some sort of "Dont forget about us, we are awesome" kind of thing. It was posted that Toledo was one of the best places to golf in the country. That is what started the whole thing. The entire statement is downright funny and its in no way criticizing Toledo golf.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Pfft. Everybody knows the popcorn in the Ohio is better than anywhere else dude. While I have not tried it anywhere else, I just know its better. :act-up:

Pfft. Everybody knows the popcorn in the Ohio is better than anywhere else dude. While I have not tried it anywhere else, I just know its better. :act-up:

Lol, the only reason I havent chimed in yet is because I havent played Norther Michigan/Canada golf yet.

But I have played Ohio golf, and the bottom half of MI golf and while they have some scenic courses that are solid, it doesnt compare to some of the other options out there. But everyone has special preferences and luckily there are choices all over the place.

Lol, the only reason I havent chimed in yet is because I havent played Norther Michigan/Canada golf yet.

But I have played Ohio golf, and the bottom half of MI golf and while they have some scenic courses that are solid, it doesnt compare to some of the other options out there. But everyone has special preferences and luckily there are choices all over the place.

You got that right. Arcadia Bluffs was listed above. Very nice facility and fun place. One of a handful in the state that I would classify is borderline destination for half a year. Comparing that to Palm Springs, Orlando or Myrtle Beach is just not fair. Some really great golf courses, and fortunately for people, in just about every area they will find something to fit their needs if they want to. Traveling across the country gives some really neat perspectives as to what is available and I am so fortunate to not only be able to spend my months on the road, but to do so visiting golf courses everywhere.

There is great golf in most areas most have some really great courses. The difference in destinations like MB ,Palm springs , Pinehurst etc is the sheer volume of the GREAT courses. Do other areas have a lot of courses? Some do but the sheer number of GREAT courses at these destinations are unmatched.
I think some see the rates at the "big names" and don't realize that deals can be had all over in many of these destinations at some smaller named courses that many times are just as good.

It doesn't discredit golf anywhere as I said I think you can make a case for most places in the US having Great golf but great golf does not= a great destination.

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

Back