Keeping the hands quiet

MCGolfTM

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone have any good tips for keeping the wrists more stable when chipping and putting? I find that do to me twisting or not locking my wrists well enough, I putt off line from set up or chip in a similar fashion. I release the club like a longer iron on chip shots as well and lose consistency. Trying to keep the face square through impact and take the wrists out of it a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as chipping, I had a bad habit of releasing the angle of the my wrists early and flubbing/chunking a chip.

I picked up a tip to take the clubhead back about 3-6 inches behind the ball and pause it there. Then, hold that angle and swing. Like the Mickelson 'hinge and hold' but you pause it briefly at the start of the shot and just hold that angle as you swing back and through.

Chipping is like a putt. Feet slightly open and about a hand and a half apart (space between your feet can vary). Place the ball just inside / on your right big toe (for right handed golfers). Lean the shaft forward and point the grip to your right pocket. 75% of your weight should be on your front foot (one closest to the target). From there move your shoulders and arms like a putt. It's a sweeping motion, not a jab towards the ground. You should barely make a divot.

For a simple chip you're trying to get the ball rolling as soon as possible to avoid unnecessary variables. This should help you if you're trying to 'lift' the ball in the air when you chip (typical of overuse of hands) because in reality you're trying to do the opposite.

Great tips guys! Gonna go these out. I think I do well for what I'm doing, but know that these slight changes will significantly improve my game!

Keep your hands moving. If the grip slows down the club unloads. I've gone so far as to imagine that it is the grip, not the club head, that is propelling the ball. Or think about striking the ball with the back of your hand. Most stubs are the result of anxiety..."Uh-oh, that's too much." Move the hands thru the ball. Open the face if that makes you more comfortable. Who has ever stubbed a flop?

Keep your hands moving. If the grip slows down the club unloads. I've gone so far as to imagine that it is the grip, not the club head, that is propelling the ball. Or think about striking the ball with the back of your hand. Most stubs are the result of anxiety..."Uh-oh, that's too much." Move the hands thru the ball. Open the face if that makes you more comfortable. Who has ever stubbed a flop?

Great tip. I like the way you got yourself to think about the grip not the club head!

Anyone have any good tips for keeping the wrists more stable when chipping and putting? I find that do to me twisting or not locking my wrists well enough, I putt off line from set up or chip in a similar fashion. I release the club like a longer iron on chip shots as well and lose consistency. Trying to keep the face square through impact and take the wrists out of it a bit more.

For putting, place a ball between the wrist and the grip. Keep the ball in place while you move the putter back and through. This will help with your stability.

On chips you'll want to set the club face the compliments the shot at hand. Firm grip and just allow the arms to swing back and through. Practice swings are key as this will let you know where the club is making contact.

Make sure your weight is forward along with the hands and work at it.

Back