Real Deal Tour Shafts Vs OEM Made For...Can you tell the difference...How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think its even that people dont care. I mean they dont. But the actual accusation still hasnt even proven to be true. Are OEMS out lying to the public about what shaft is "really" in a certain club to garner more sales? I dont think they are.

No. The issue is that club companies are cutting into aftermarket sales of shafts because many are offering no charge upgrades and large shaft catalogs so guys like this are losing business. He has an axe to grind because my guess is he is taking a hit thanks to the OEMs.

JB do you think this is acceptable the OEM's to sell made for shafts that look the same as real deal shafts?
I am not trolling my own created thread, and can answer questions...just got in from 18.

So are you specifically asking JB or THP? They are two different people. JB is a person and THP is a business. JB has said plenty of times he tries to refrain from posting his opinion on clubs until there is data to present. That data alone is his answer to this question. If it works then good. If it doesn't then try something else.

Already been said

@prozonegolf serious question for you, why use your business name as a user name here instead of your real name or initials? Are you speaking here as an owner trying to solicit customers or as a regular golfer who happens to run a golf club fitting business?

If this is such a hot debatable topic why not test real deal Vs made for at the upcoming THP club clash event?

This way THP'ers can decide if they would like to upgrade when they purchase new, rather than do it twice with a clubfitter, or still have the receipt to return it to the OEM for upgrade

Who would like to try head to head a real deal Vs made for shaft?
You're assuming this hasn't been done.

I've been to live driver testings with THP with close 30 other THPers. We played 36 holes and were not allowed to use our own driver. It's funny, not one person mentioned that the shafts felt "made for"

I would love for DB TT to stop in this thread. That would be fun.

Are you sure? I thought about it, but figured the Kraken might be released.

No. The issue is that club companies are cutting into aftermarket sales of shafts because many are offering no charge upgrades and large shaft catalogs so guys like this are losing business. He has an axe to grind because my guess is he is taking a hit thanks to the OEMs.

Not true I am here to help, I don't need your business, I have been spining and shafting 20+yrs and now am offering my tips and experience that I have learned a long the way...

I would love to see it released

I would rather JB play that card in a thread where there was productive conversation. This is a one sided fiasco.

I have yet to see any advertising from any oem saying "aldila rogue in this driver is the exact specifications of the rogue that xxx plays in his driver." Further more, how many amateur golfers can play the same shaft as say, rory? I know for sure I don't swing 120+ so if I get the same make and model but a different weight and flex to fit me then I'm not playing rory's shaft am i? The exact same shaft in different weight and flex plays different, feels different. So if I bought the new vapor fly that rory plays then by the standards of the OP I am being duped into the sale thinking I'll be playing the same driver as rory... the oems make products for the mass public. It's safe to assume it's not the same product off the tour van for the pros. If you looking for tour stuff, there are indeed avenues to attain them as mentioned in this thread.

My final point is that I don't believe for a second that the oem are being deceitful marketing made for shafts as true aftermarket. If you look through the multiple threads here on THP, you can see for yourself that made for shafts are stated as just that. A shaft taken with a certain profile, then tweaked, therefore, a made for

You're assuming this hasn't been done.

I've been to live driver testings with THP with close 30 other THPers. We played 36 holes and were not allowed to use our own driver. It's funny, not one person mentioned that the shafts felt "made for"

Great! perhaps do it again with the latest shafts

Great! perhaps do it again with the latest shafts
Or was May last year. Club Clash is already scheduled. I'm not a participant, but those who are should have a lot of information for us.

@prozonegolf serious question for you, why use your business name as a user name here instead of your real name or initials? Are you speaking here as an owner trying to solicit customers or as a regular golfer who happens to run a golf club fitting business?

Quoting this again in hopes amateurzonegolf sees it and answers...

Quoting this again in hopes amateurzonegolf sees it and answers...

Again..I am NOT here for any kind of solicitation...I am a regular golfer like you all, who has club making experience, lets stick to the thread title

--------------

This thread is to give readers the knowledge between oem made for shafts Vs the REAL DEAL versions, or Tour versions that never make it to market

Please post what to look for on the shafts to determine the difference...e.g laser etching serial numbers, Stamp markings, butt stickers, graphics, lettering, made in China/Taiwan Vs Japan etc

Together we can post info on REAL, OEM and possible fake shafts

I'm ready.

There were some emails exchanged.
Lets just say it has been read and "it is nice to see THPers prefer to deal in facts" was heard.

When a head and shaft combination are fit for you and the numbers are maximized, does it really matter if it's a "made for" or not? Perhaps for status but not for results.

Lot of concern about something that most of us could not real take advantage of even if there was a vast difference in the "made for" and "real deal" shafts. I would add I do not suspect there is that much difference in the tolerances and variances between them either. Both are mass produced, and the manufacturers have some form of QC. I would would guess barring the occasional bad apple (which happens in all of the components) the variances in the shafts are probably tighter than those in my swing. My skills are not so finely tuned that I expect that level of perfection out of my equipment. Much like my cars, I expect them to just be ready to run when called on to do so and perform to the level I based my decision on to buy it instead of another one.

So, I guess I am fine using a Rogue-ish or Speeder 665-ish shaft. Since that is what I was fit into. If I get a bad one, I will return it to the OEM for a replacement.

Honest Questions here for Pro Zone or anyone in the know. To my best memory I have read here that stock driver shafts like THE Red Tie on the 2014 Adams XTD Driver and the Fubuki 50 Z on the 2014 Callaway BB were the REAL DEAL. I do not know if that is the case. Honest Questions:

1.Are those 2 stock driver shafts the real deal?

2. Are there any examples of real deal stock shafts in OEM drivers? ( think the stock Mijazaki in Cleveland drivers from a few years back were real deal?)

3. Are none of the stock shafts in OEM Drivers real deal ?

I do not know but rightly or wrongly have assumed that in most cases the stock shafts in the OEM drivers are not the real deal.

I stopped reading about 6 pages in. Just seemed this thread was going to continue to be an epic waste of time. Hopefully something useful comes from this discussion.

In regards to the Aldila Rogue they are made in Taiwan and USA, many players are opting for the USA model...here is a snip of info from another site

I spoke with my swing coach who has an account with Aldila and he has confirmed that the shafts that are ordered through dealers are a batch that is produced in Vietnam and the graphics are put on here in the US, the actual "Made in US" etched models are indeed made in the US. So there you have it.

My Aldila Rogue o/i 70x 110msi from Callaway tested had a butt sticker made in Taiwan, it was far from radial consistent...

FWIW: I don't have a agenda or need to make money from golf shafts, I want whats best for the player / consumer, quite often I do free club work to help people at my GC play better

My aftermarket Aldila Rogue 60 X 110 MSI also said made in Vietnam as did the Rogue I/O shaft that came with my 816 DBD. I think it's only the 125 MSI which are marked as such that are made in the USA.

My aftermarket Aldila Rogue 60 X 110 MSI also said made in Vietnam as did the Rogue I/O shaft that came with my 816 DBD. I think it's only the 125 MSI which are marked as such that are made in the USA.

This is correct.
As with just about every major shaft company, they make very small numbers and batches here and the rest are made to spec overseas. See UST, PX, Aldila, etc etc etc. Just as THPers at both PX Event and UST Event last year heard this directly from both companies.

Again..I am NOT here for any kind of solicitation...I am a regular golfer like you all, who has club making experience, lets stick to the thread title

--------------

This thread is to give readers the knowledge between oem made for shafts Vs the REAL DEAL versions, or Tour versions that never make it to market

Please post what to look for on the shafts to determine the difference...e.g laser etching serial numbers, Stamp markings, butt stickers, graphics, lettering, made in China/Taiwan Vs Japan etc

Together we can post info on REAL, OEM and possible fake shafts

Pro Zone I am calling you out. Give me your best answers to my post here #194 . I don't consider this thread to be an epic waste of time. Give me your best answers . Thanks in advance.

@ProZoneGolf - You are making some very strong accusations against both the OEM's and the shaft companies. Why would the shaft companies want to "water down" their shafts. The answer is they have no incentive to. Instead they work closely with the OEM's to find a shaft that fits well with the head to give the best possible combination for the vast majority of golfers. Quite a bit goes into selecting that stock shaft because both the OEM and the shaft company want it to sell well. You make it seem like some of the products being put out are inferior and that just isn't the case. They may be made with different tolerances or materials to hit a certain price point but it doesn't do them any favors to produce a product that will suffer in performance due to these differences.

If this is such a hot debatable topic why not test real deal Vs made for at the upcoming THP club clash event?

This way THP'ers can decide if they would like to upgrade when they purchase new, rather than do it twice with a clubfitter, or still have the receipt to return it to the OEM for upgrade

Who would like to try head to head a real deal Vs made for shaft?

Why would they have to do it twice with a club fitter? If the club fitter does his/her job, then the first fitting should be correct.

Why not just play what fits? Who cares about colour, or weight, or flex, where it'd made, or if it contains unicorn horn dust?

If you are fit for something, it fits your swing. All that matters.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back