TaylorMade R15 TP Driver Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I love the review, this is the driver that has been heavily in my sights and this review makes me want it all the more.

Oof this anti-TM bias on THP is too much. Hehehe j/k. Just a shout out to the ignorant among us. Not that they'll actually bother to read. That's the definition of ignorance I suppose.

That was your best review to date Dan. I think your explanation of the forgiveness factor makes some sense. Solid delivery into the ball with a lateral miss isn't as penal as the kind of misses I'm more prone to, like a flip, too far in/out, or shut down or open face if I'm reading correctly.

I am a Taylor Made fan and sure would love to give her a swing or two.

One of my playing partners in Scottsdale was killing the R15! When I've played with him in St. Louis, he's been good off the tee, but he was absolutely ripping it down the fairway. I actually wanted one after watching him play 18 holes, but the last thing I need is another driver.

good review Dan...i have hesitated to try this but might need to see what its about.

Last Taylormade driver i used, and still is a option for me is the Burner TP 07, the R15 could get a look down the road when prices drop.

EXCELLENT write up Dan, a ton of good info in this one.

I want to try it, yet I'm also still terrified of it.

Great review as always, Dan!!!

Great review. I have this one in the bag currently, and have posted about it in the r15 TP thread. For me, this thing is an absolute monster. I've hit some of my longest drives ever (in neutral conditions) with this driver. I, personally, find it a good bit more forgiving than the SLDR and feel it is a more fade biased driver than the SLDR-- less prone to quick hooks than the SLDR was. Most of my good drives with this have been either straight or a little cut.

I love, love, love the Speeder 661 EVO tour spec shaft. I get a piercing mid/mid high flight, with a shallow landing angle.

I really wanted the DBD to be the one for me this year, but the r15 TP has thoroughly outperformed it. It's a good bit longer and more forgiving than the DBD, in my hands at least.

Great review Dan!

I demand a ghost thanks.

Another great review Dan!

The amount of information in this one is staggering and I hope those that are interested in the latest R line from TM read it a few times to digest it all. This particular offering isn't for me, but can see where the better player/ball striker can benefit from this offering and the ability to fine tune & get desired results.

Great review, the characteristics of this club fit what I like to see in flight, so I will definitely have to give this a try. The SLDR seemed to get rave reviews and the fact that they moved the weight even farther forward is very interesting and I'm curious how it will feel compared to that.

had R1...SLDR briefly....and now r15 430 (first time with a 430) and I AM IN LOVE!!!!!

ball flight is a bit higher being a 10.5....but man...this club is the real deal!!!!
tighter dispersion and further then my R1.....lost a few yards from the SLDR...but SLDR was punishing when misses....whereas the R15 what I have been looking for......for a long time.

had R1...SLDR briefly....and now r15 430 (first time with a 430) and I AM IN LOVE!!!!!

ball flight is a bit higher being a 10.5....but man...this club is the real deal!!!!
tighter dispersion and further then my R1.....lost a few yards from the SLDR...but SLDR was punishing when misses....whereas the R15 what I have been looking for......for a long time.

Are you finding the R15 430 head to be more forgiving than the SLDR 460? I haven't hit either in a 430 but have only heard that they are less forgiving.

Haven't hit one of these bad boys yet, but would definitely like to. I gamed an R11S up until last year and loved it apart from the sound. Hit the SLDR and absolutely hated it, but reports seem to indicate that the R15 is a vast improvement.

Great review, Dan. Sounds like an improvement in terms of forgiveness over the SLDR.

Are you finding the R15 430 head to be more forgiving than the SLDR 460? I haven't hit either in a 430 but have only heard that they are less forgiving.

finding the 430 head easier On the eyes And me me seems easleir to hit as well. Might be all mental. Hahh

back I the day I used to game an old ping iTS or something like that...like 20 years ago. That driver I wish I never sold it was my machine went for a new 460 CC driver.
i could never find that feel again till now. Really digging this club.

That's great that you found something that works so well for you!

Holy hell... I found one of these yesterday at Edwin Watts. Some guy bought it and returned is after a couple rounds. 9.5* 460 TP with the Speeder 757 TS X. I am in love. Launch was low (6-7*) but I was carrying 305-310. I was surprised that I was getting speed of 122-125 with that heavy of a shaft, but I absolutely loved it. I had them put it in the back for me and I am picking it up on Friday. I imagine with some tweaking, it could be a bomber for me. I have the SLDR now and, to be honest, I hate it.

After listening to TO talk about a forward CG is harder to square up at impact it explained a lot of my dislike for TM drivers of late and this one was no different. When 20% of my shots went straight they were fairly long but the 80% of shots that ended up all over the range made me move on to something that was a lot more consistent.

Is there any difference between TP and regular heads?

Is there any difference between TP and regular heads?

The offset will be less with the TP. The head might be a bit deeper, but would need someone to validate/fact check that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see anything significantly different between the head of the R15 TP, no. I don't even think they badge them with "TP" anymore. Rather, just the shaft changes.

Back