WGC-Dell Match Play Thread (Spoilers)

Well I just learned a new rule, sounds like the commentators had no clue as well.

Charles in Charge Scott Baio goes up with the ole gimme miss by Rory.

Pretty good comeback by Rafa this afternoon. He stuggled this morning.

Man Jason Day just doesn't make many mistakes. Tough competitor. Congrats to him.

Beauty of a wedge by Day..nailing the coffin shut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was that ruling I came into halfway?

Oosty hit his ball into the water hazard inside of where Jason's ball was. Even though he was further back after taking a drop (along the line, I presume), Jason was deemed "away" and hit before Oosty. The point where Oosty's ball entered the water was used for that determination. Never new that rule either.

Great win for Day, especially considering the injury issues he battled throughout this one.

​Something tells me it may be Days year.

I really enjoyed the matches this weekend. The Day/Rory match this morning was some high level golf by both players. What did they shoot 67 and 68 respectively.

I loved this course and glad it's coming back for a few years. Great setting and views.

Finally caught up.

They Day/Rory match was insanely fun to watch. Day is just on a roll right now. it's like he didn't even take time off between last year and now.

WGC-Dell Match Play Thread (Spoilers)

I really enjoyed the matches this weekend. The Day/Rory match this morning was some high level golf by both players. What did they shoot 67 and 68 respectively.

I loved this course and glad it's coming back for a few years. Great setting and views.

Color me up as in favor with the new format. Final 4 included 3 of the top 16 in the world along with getting to see a 1 vs 3 18 hole battle. NBC wins and we as the golf watches win. All in favor.

Color me up as in favor with the new format. Final 4 included 3 of the top 16 in the world along with getting to see a 1 vs 3 18 hole battle. NBC wins and we as the golf watches win. All in favor.
Agreed on all accounts. Noticed quite a few UT hats in the gallery as well :D

Congrats Cobberz, shoot me a PM with your address and I'll get something sent your way for the win!

Congrats Cobberz, shoot me a PM with your address and I'll get something sent your way for the win!

It appears I didn't do so well.

In fairness though, the 3 of the top 16 didn't lose a match going in to the weekend. So can the format really take credit for that? Last years final four were 1,5,48,50 and it was the same format. Going forward with this format, which they probably aren't changing any time soon, I think they need to remove the half points in the pool play. Play the extra holes like you would if it were single elimination. Those extra hole matches were always fun to watch.

In fairness though, the 3 of the top 16 didn't lose a match going in to the weekend. So can the format really take credit for that? Last years final four were 1,5,48,50 and it was the same format. Going forward with this format, which they probably aren't changing any time soon, I think they need to remove the half points in the pool play. Play the extra holes like you would if it were single elimination. Those extra hole matches were always fun to watch.

I just wish they would scrap it. I found myself having no interest in watching the matches prior to the weekend.

I just wish they would scrap it. I found myself having no interest in watching the matches prior to the weekend.

same here, and I really do love watching golf. It's funny though, IF WGC and PGA Tour want to talk about getting these players to the final in this format, take a look at the last 5 events for the final 4.

Pool Play Format
2015: Rory(1), Furyk(5), Willett(48), Woodland(50). Final was Rory v Woodland.

Single Elimination Format - #'s will be the players seed
2014: Day(2), Fowler(14), Els(8), Dubuisson(7) - Final was Day and Dubuisson and it was fantastic.
2013: Day(11), Kuchar(6), Mahan(6), Pouler(3) - Final was Kuchar vs Mahan
2012: M. Wilson(10), Mahan(6), Rory(1), Westwood(1) - Final Mahan vs Rory
2011: Luke Donald(3), Kuchar(4), Kaymer(1), Bubba Watson(5) - Final Donald vs Kaymer

Of all those names, Dubuisson is the one that sticks out as the complete no name bracket buster, and his final match was epic.

same here, and I really do love watching golf. It's funny though, IF WGC and PGA Tour want to talk about getting these players to the final in this format, take a look at the last 5 events for the final 4.

Pool Play Format
2015: Rory(1), Furyk(5), Willett(48), Woodland(50). Final was Rory v Woodland.

Single Elimination Format - #'s will be the players seed
2014: Day(2), Fowler(14), Els(8), Dubuisson(7) - Final was Day and Dubuisson and it was fantastic.
2013: Day(11), Kuchar(6), Mahan(6), Pouler(3) - Final was Kuchar vs Mahan
2012: M. Wilson(10), Mahan(6), Rory(1), Westwood(1) - Final Mahan vs Rory
2011: Luke Donald(3), Kuchar(4), Kaymer(1), Bubba Watson(5) - Final Donald vs Kaymer

Of all those names, Dubuisson is the one that sticks out as the complete no name bracket buster, and his final match was epic.

Hey Mahan, remember that guy.

Hey Mahan, remember that guy.

sure do. The guy went on a hell of a run during this event in those two years. Winning 11 straight and falling 1 short of going back to back. I'd love to see him get his game back together. He's been one of my favorites since the 08 RC

I don't have an issue with any of the formats for match play. Like you pointed out, it seems to take care of itself getting the top players to the round of 4. I just want to see the match play stay and I just want to see top match play guys make the finals (with good play of course). Give me the way it was before or give me the format now. I'm fine with either. But I do think with the format now, it gives the better players (at the time) a better chance at getting to the round of 16 and not getting bounced by a player that just happened to put one great round together to make it through.

When Spieth was eliminated on Saturday, I lost interest in the Sunday rounds. I really wanted to see him play either Day or McIlroy.

Back