Why won't you show up as a single or play with strangers ?

I have no issues playing with strangers.
I expect to, when I play golf on vacation.
Even at my home course, I like playing with new people - gives me different perspectives of the course and its history.

I don't mind playing with strangers...however if I haven't swung a club for a while then I might be a little hesitant to play with strangers

I travel a good bit for work and take the clubs with me when I can. Frequently get paired up. Was different at first playing with strangers a lot, but now it doesn't bother me at all.

I prefer to golf with people I know, but will pair up with strangers when necessary. I usually walk alone though when I'm not golfing with my regular group.

Did you hear the one about the two guys who got paired with two women...

I have no problems joining in with strangers. I haven't played with stranger that I wouldn't tee it up again with them (yet, crossing fingers). I would usually declare on the 1st tee "don't laugh too hard, I suck' to set a good tone.. I've met 1 guy a couple of years ago from out of province. Now we tee it up when he's in town.

I have no problem joining up or asking people to join me.

I played three rounds of golf last September with 8 guys I had never met before. They all turned out to be great guys.....And of course being THP'ers had something to do with that :)

But seriously I have never really had a bad time with any strangers.

I've run across a few very "interesting" types that I might not seek out to play again. But all in all not too bad.

SaA

Did you hear the one about the two guys who got paired with two women...
I was paired up with two women one saturday afternoon about two years ago -
It was one of the most entertaining rounds of golf I have ever played!
And they were pretty good golfers!

I come to Florida once a year from Iceland with my family and I am the only one playing golf. I use golfnow.com all the time to get tee times and I have no problem playing with strangers, and often I prefer it as usually they are local's and can give good advice on the course and also about activity for the family while on vacation.

If I'm not playing with the DFW crew, I'm playing with strangers. No issues.

I have no problem playing with strangers and I have no problem playing alone either.

No issue playing with strangers, have met some cool people over the years and some turds that I at least have some good stories to tell about.

I have no problem playing with strangers. In fact I usually play better with strangers, almost as if I am trying to put my best foot forward lol. But I am not sociable at ALL. I am not a talker outside the course, and am the same way on the course.

I will watch your shot and help you locate your ball, but outside of that I prefer to cut the chit chat to a minimum. I am not the least bit interested in what you do for a living or if you have a wife and kid. I am not rude at all and most people seem to understand that and leave me alone.

My friends always joke that the only time I talk is when I am playing my best or my worst.

One of my goals is to play all the courses in my state. Having said that, most of my golf buddies see that as a bit strange and bow out on a lot of road trips. This means I either play alone or with locals in that area. I'm good either way, and I meet a lot of very nice people who might know the course.

I have no problems playing with new folks, I actually tend to play better for some reason. First time I broke 80 I was paired with some random and his girlfriend.

Being paired with strangers has led to new clients as well as one of my best friends.

I play solo alot so end up playing with at least 2 other "strangers" - heck I did it this past Sunday for my first round out this season...

I have no problem doing so and it gives me the chance to really focus / think about my own game...

One of the best things you can do for your game (and enjoyment)...go solo to the course at dawn. Get paired up with the old retired guys, ideally the ones that are looking for their first tee shots in the dark.

Those are the guys who straight up love the game and have probably forgotten more about it than you'll ever learn. Unless you are one of those guys. :D

What he said ^^^

I have no problem showing up solo. I've made a lot of new golf buddies that way.

I have no problems playing with new folks, I actually tend to play better for some reason. First time I broke 80 I was paired with some random and his girlfriend.

Being paired with strangers has led to new clients as well as one of my best friends.

My schedule/locations vary a lot so I go out as a single most of the time. I enjoy meeting new people and don't mind it a bit. I also find that I play better with new folks as well. I attribute it to mindset, focus and not wanting to make a fool of myself.

I remember joining up with a father and son on # 8 on a so-so round up to that point (I was probably 7 or 8 over through 7). I proceeded to go birdie-par-par-par-birdie once I started golfing with them and shot 3 over on the back nine.

I ended up getting paired with a young couple who had just graduated from college at Boulders (AZ) in early February. Both good golfers and she was a PE major who had been on the golf team. Pressure was on to keep up. I par'd 4 of the first 5 and GIR'd 8 of the first 9 holes.

When you're by yourself there is less accountability and when you're with friends there is a lot of "social". For me, some of my best golf is with strangers.

I will play alone or if they want to match me up with strangers I have no problem with that.

I have a mild dislike of getting paired with strangers, but that is entirely, 100% due to my own failings.
.I am pretty nearsighted and struggle to pick up my ball. Also, with my inconsistency, I can walk 150 yards down the fairway and figure the ball will be 100 yards in any direction...behind me, in front of me, to the right, to the left...I ofttimes have literally no idea. When with people I know, they tend to help me at least general direction. When I am alone, I tend to "see" the ball better and usually can get a pretty good general idea. Inexplicably, when with strangers I count on them to help at least a vague idea..I understand that is my problem, not theirs.

Also, I like to play fairly close to the true rules with a couple mods. I don't take mulligans, but occasionally instead of the distance penalty I will just drop vaguely close to where the ball went out...I am out for exercise, to enjoy a nice walk and hit the little white thing with the stick in my hand. I know I am not good and am fine with it, so a little sketchiness is fine, I am not building a handicap for competition and I am not playing against anyone but myself, so it is only myself I am cheating, so to speak. But I am a firm believer in tee it forward and strangers tend to want to play the blues or tips...and they are usually about the same level I am.

So generally I prefer to either play with friends or alone.

With that said...I have happily paired up with groups on 4 or 5 occasions this year and enjoyed it thoroughly. So even though I prefer not to, I do it as a matter of course because it is the accepted social custom and as others have pointed out...it always works out okay. (With the exception of Pumpkin Ridge...most miserable golf experience of my life. Did not enjoy that group)

It's just part of golf. I've been playing with ransoms since I started. One thing I have learned is most people aren't very good at this game and when I hit a bad shot there is nothing to worry about because no one cares.

I actually prefer playing as a single and/or joining with strangers. No expectations, can keep a low profile, discussion is usually kept light and just enjoy the course. I'm heading to Chicago to visit family later this month, I will be playing a daily 18-36 holes, solo and strangers each time. Hopefully the first 18 is solo so I look real sharp for the second go

more than 90% my golf is as a single and being paired with strangers. Been doing it so long that sometimes its the same people and no longer strangers. I just don't know when I am going to golf and also have no worries of finding common time and no need to pre book. Just show up in the morning as a single and most usually out within an hour and many times less. Most people are quite pleasant to play with. Some more so than others but over all I'd say it goes very well. The occasional person or people do pop up now and than where I wish I wasn't with them but its rare. I just don't like when you are made to feel like a 3rd wheel and/or with strangers who have no interest where your ball went and are only concerned with themselves. But most people including me will help track balls for everyone in the group, make some efforts to help each other track and locate balls. Most create a good friendly and even funny environment where at the days end you felt like you had a great time. You do never know what you'll get but you deal with it.

Back