going past parallel

Barberakb

USAF / Go Cowboys!
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you have a tip to help me stop going past parallel? Or just to shorten my swing in general. I go well past with my driver. And a little past with my other woods/hybrids. It doesn't bother me at all, I don't even realize that I am doing it. I just go back as far as whats comfortable. But I keep getting told that I would be much more accurate if I shorten my swing. I have tried to just think about it but that doesn't work?

There are a couple of things that you can do. First you need to limit your lower body movement in the swing. Turning the hips to much to the top will allow you to get long with the swing. Next the sensation I want you to work on with your arms is to stop the arm swing when your left arm is parallel to the ground. Work this in slow motion to start. YOu will go past this point in the swing but I want you to feel yourself stop there in your practice time. Try this for a bit and let me know how things go for you out there.

Interesting. I will give it a try but stopping when my left arm is parallel to the ground sounds impossibly short right now! Thanks for the tip!

It not only sounds impossibly short it will feel that way. Anybody who saw me play a year ago will vouch for a fact that I almost hit my shins at the top of my back swing. Keep working at it and you will love the results.

HOLY cow!!! For the first time ever I had my wife video tape my swing. Seriously, I could hit myself in the face with my club. And that is with a PW. No wonder I can birdie a hole, get a bogey, par 2 in a row and then double bogey three in a row. So inconsinstent. And this has to have something to do with it.

I would post the video if I knew how.

Back