Golf Nets/Practice Cages

nickyreno

Hack.
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone know of any sweet DIY golf net/practice cages? I'm looking to build one in my garage since we are getting hit pretty hard this winter. I don't have a preference to stationary or mobile. I'm not very keen on netting, and impact screens are expensive. I found a video of one that I like that uses Suntex 90 window screening, just not sure how long that will last. I also would like something that has sides for chilli dippers. Thanks!

[video=youtube;-p11qs4E2T0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p11qs4E2T0[/video]

I'm building one myself should be done next week. I picked up the net from west coast netting 10x12 frame will be 8x8x 2ft deep.

I will post a full thread on it when I get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built my own last winter and it's more inconvenient than functional. Plus I got the wrong netting, and whatever they decided to treat it with gets on the ball, and then on the club. Kind of sucks.

Since then I reviewed an easy to tear down net and it made me realize just how beneficial that can be. I'd lean that route if I had the opportunity to do it over again.

Dan where did you get your net?

Ease of up and down is key as well as durability mine should be both.

Dan where did you get your net?

Ease of up and down is key as well as durability mine should be both.

The netting? Some random ebay seller. Regrettable choice although a good backup alternative if I ever set up the hockey net in the basement haha

Aren't the collapsible ones cheaper?

Yes, as durable no mine saw tremendous wear after one winter of use and is to the point it's sketchy to use.

The netting? Some random ebay seller. Regrettable choice although a good backup alternative if I ever set up the hockey net in the basement haha

Gotcha

I'm building one myself should be done next week. I picked up the net from west coast netting 10x12 frame will be 8x8x 2ft deep.

I will post a full thread on it when I get it done.

Great, I'll keep a look out for it.

Anyone make one that used something other than netting? Or have any ideas for a cheaper alternative to impact screening?

Golf Nets/Practice Cages

I returned my sklz net and mat today. It was ok but figured I could do something a little better.

About two months ago I built one almost exactly as the one in the video, but I used strong golf netting. The net was in the garage, but it is now taken apart ready to be reassembled in the basement. Will most likely put it back together during the weekend. I can post some pix when it's back up if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Food for thought as you guys got me thinking. Do you think a trampoline mat would work well? I bet it would and would be virtually indestructible. It's somewhat stretchy, but a lot of the rebound comes from the springs not just the fabric. Besides, the mass of a golf ball isn't enough to deflect the mat enough to cause it to rebound too much I wouldn't think. And there are tons of trampolines out there rotting away and not getting used. I bet you could get a used mat for free or next to nothing!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'm sure it would work especially if it was loose at the bottom to allow some absorption of the impact

I've got a net return that I've been using for the past few days.
It's awesome

0089b43890d3b1077947deab29cdf777.jpg

You mean like that? I've heard nothing but great things about them. Don't know if it would get enough use to spend $600 on one though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Food for thought as you guys got me thinking. Do you think a trampoline mat would work well? I bet it would and would be virtually indestructible. It's somewhat stretchy, but a lot of the rebound comes from the springs not just the fabric. Besides, the mass of a golf ball isn't enough to deflect the mat enough to cause it to rebound too much I wouldn't think. And there are tons of trampolines out there rotting away and not getting used. I bet you could get a used mat for free or next to nothing!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

A trampoline mat is a terrific idea. They're cheap to buy brand new as well! I'll keep a look out on Craigslist, hopefully I can find a square one for sale- net, frame and all.

Got my frame/cage built tonight 8x8x2 deep of netting (5ft total)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448936371.604115.jpg

Tarps.com
4 tees X 5.50= 22
4 mitre X 5 = 20
2 3-way corners X 5.50 = 11

10 ball bungees 0.25 = 2.50

Home Depot
6 10ft 1 3/8 chain link top rail X 10= 60

Total of $115.50

Net from west coast netting

10x12 3/8 golf netting $115

Total of $230

If you don't have to take it apart then you can use 1inch emt conduit and save some coin on pipe and fittings. But I went with a commercial grade net that I've used at my instructors facility and I know it holds up.

Got my frame/cage built tonight 8x8x2 deep of netting (5ft total)

View attachment 22728

Tarps.com
4 tees X 5.50= 22
4 mitre X 5 = 20
2 3-way corners X 5.50 = 11

10 ball bungees 0.25 = 2.50

Home Depot
6 10ft 1 3/8 chain link top rail X 10= 60

Total of $115.50

Net from west coast netting

10x12 3/8 golf netting $115

Total of $230

If you don't have to take it apart then you can use 1inch emt conduit and save some coin on pipe and fittings. But I went with a commercial grade net that I've used at my instructors facility and I know it holds up.

Interesting, do you have a finished product image?

Interesting, do you have a finished product image?

Got shipping notice today on the net so it should be in Friday and I'll get one as soon as it comes in.

The reason behind my design

- it's staying at work, have to be able to put it away
- gets put up and down a lot and needed it to hold up
- can be easily reworked to handle a projector for a sim/launch monitor

Any recommendations on hitting mats that won't break the bank?

I just bought a ultimate monster mat. You may possibly be able to pick up a used mat from a local range

0089b43890d3b1077947deab29cdf777.jpg

You mean like that? I've heard nothing but great things about them. Don't know if it would get enough use to spend $600 on one though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Yup. Exactly like that. It's great!

Back