Kevin Streelman's new caddie for Par 3 contest

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters15/story/_/id/12638216/masters-wish-comes-true
Spoiler
AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Jennifer Couch first noticed some irregular behavior in her 11-year-old son, Ethan, two years ago. His hands trembled. His feet were sore. His balance was so poor that he struggled to put on his pants and tie his shoes.
She took him to see their pediatrician on a Friday. Her voice quivering, she explained her concerns. By the time she offered her own diagnosis, tears were rolling down her cheeks.
Between sobs, Jennifer told the doctor, "I think he's going to need brain surgery."
Tests confirmed their deepest fears. Ethan had a tectal glioma. A brain tumor was blocking his body's ability to circulate spinal cord fluid, causing hydrocephalus and all of the other symptoms in his behavior.
i
Kevin Streelman says his daughter's health struggles has given him a new perspective and inspired him to ask Ethan Couch to caddy for him in the Par-3 Contest. AP Photo/Matt SlocumFour days later, he underwent surgery. Doctors discovered that the tumor, though benign, was inoperable. There was nothing they could do but continue monitoring him on a regular basis.
When Ethan awoke from the surgery, a nurse entered his room. "I heard you were a champ," she told him. "So I want you to go home and think of a wish. Pick anything."
He didn't need to go home to think. This was a boy who'd been carried around the golf course by Jennifer as a newborn while his father, Jeff, a former golf professional near their home in Spruce Grove, Alberta, would play nine holes. He'd grown to love the game. And so when offered one wish by that nurse, Ethan didn't hesitate.
"I want to go to the Masters," he said.
Kevin Streelman didn't know this story when he called Ethan on the morning of March 7, two days after his 13th birthday. The truth is, he knew absolutely nothing about Ethan, besides the fact that the boy had a wish to attend the year's biggest golf tournament and he wanted to make that wish come true.
This week marks Streelman's fourth Masters appearance. The first time he played, in 2011, he invited his father to caddie for him in the traditional Par-3 Contest. The next time, his mother got the call. Last year, it was his father-in-law.
Not long after qualifying again by winning the Travelers Championship, Streelman decided he wanted to offer the opportunity to someone who really deserved it. His daughter, Sophia, was born the previous December amidst pregnancy complications. She'd spent seven days in the NICU before coming home. Enduring that afforded him a matured perspective.
"That changed a lot of the ways I see children," he says. "I have an entirely new appreciation for what parents with children having tough times are going through."
i
Ethan practices his victory trophy kiss. He'll look for another title with Streelman in Wednesday's Par-3 Contest. Courtesy of the Couch familyStreelman contacted his local chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. He asked if there were any kids who had a wish to attend the Masters.
Soon enough, he was calling Ethan with an offer.
"Yeah, I know who you are," the boy replied when the pro golfer introduced himself.
He didn't know why he was calling, though.
Streelman explained that, as a Masters competitor, he was allowed to choose his caddie for Wednesday's event. He was choosing Ethan.
The boy fell silent. His parents, each listening over speaker phone, began crying. When Ethan finally spoke, his voice was shaking.
"I just wanted to go to the Masters," he'd later say. "I didn't expect this."
He's now in Augusta, along with his entire family, two years removed from making his Masters wish, preparing to wear the famous white jumpsuit given to all caddies.
The boy who owns a career-low score of 82 won't be bashful in the role, either.
"I'll definitely make sure he's hitting the right club," he says with a confident laugh.
As Ethan spends the afternoon with Streelman, he won't worry about the brain tumor. He won't worry about the MRI he'll undergo next week or the unknown long-term prognosis.
He'll be too focused on having his wish come true.
As for the man alongside him, he's just hoping to brighten the life of a kid who could use it.
"I just want to open the door to someone and hopefully give him a great day after going through some rough times," Streelman says. "This isn't about me. It's about giving back. It's about using the opportunity that I have to make someone's wish come true."

i

Such an awesome gesture!

Read this earlier.... Good Job Streels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Streelman is a guy who is worth rooting for.

Great move by Streelman.

Good guy Streelman. That is an awesome gesture.

Man that story really tugs at the heart strings.

Very nice story. I may be cheering for Kevin Streelman this weekend.

What a story. Kevin Streelman has made a new fan. Hope Ethan enjoys it, which I'm sure he will.

Now that's a real champion

Have always liked Streelman, and this just makes me root for him even more.

Love that he sought out making somebody's dream come true, seems like a guy who gets how lucky he is to do what he does and is going to share it with whoever else he can.

So awesome.

That is a great story.

very cool. he is a good guy and i root for him a lot. not mention a little bias since i won a signed wilson ball from him

like when guys give back like this.

That is role model that every professional should follow. Stories like this use to touch my heart and make me think about the bigger picture. But now that I have a child who currently is asleep in front of me the story goes deeper. I started choking up and got tears in the eyes reading this (I'm a softie). The joy that is being brought to both this young man and his family is enormous. :act-up::clapp::crying:

That is absolutely AWESOME!!!! Way to go Streels.

Really big deal in my opinion. Awesome gesture.........

JM

Kevin Streelman's new caddie for Par 3 contest

Wow...a bit dusty here in Pot Belly.

What a story. And like Mancest said, one of the things I found so incredible is he went looking for someone to help. It's not like he was approached and said yes out of obligation.

Have always liked Streelman, but now I hold him on such high regard.

That's pretty amazing. Love hearing when good people do good things.

I would be lying if I said that didn't fill me up some. Great job by Streelman, and god bless that child and his parents. I don't know how someone can get a bigger rush than by making a difference in someone's life..

great story, my office is a bit dusty today

Wow, awsome story. Goes to show there are still some really great people out there. Way to go Mr. Streelman.

That's just a great story.

~Rock

That's awesome. I think that this type of thing would be the best about being a professional athlete.

That's freaking cool. Even cooler that he was seeking someone out on his own. Happy for Ethan, that's some crazy ish to deal with.

That's awesome. Its crazy how becoming a parent, and especially going through what he did with his daughter, opens your mind to a completely different perspective.

Back