Looking for something a little easier to hit then my 3 wood. Your thoughts on this?

When I went to be fit for a 3 wood 3 years ago the fitter eventually had me hit an 18* club. Possibly you need to forget the 3 wood and simply look at 4 and 5 woods. I also carry a 19* hybrid that is about 15 yards shorter than the 18* FW. I would say you need to hit them and compare how they perform for you

I agree. I went with the longest club I could reliably get up with consistency off the deck, which in my case was an 18 deg titleist 915 5 wood which can play stronger of you want. The gapping from this to my 4h was ideal as well.

I recently switched-out my 3W for a 16* X2 Hot Pro hybrid and haven't looked back. I love my 4h, so I knew I'd look down with confidence in this one!

Which club really depends on your tendacies, how skilled a player, and how you want to use it. Three woods are probably the hardest clubs in the bag for most to hit. Off the deck you have a long shaft with not much loft and you want to try and elevate the ball. Drivers have a much bigger head and can be more forgiving off the tee because of that. So, if you are wanting to use it primarily as a second driver off the tee either a high lofted driver with a shortened shaft or one of the new mini drivers may be the ticket. If you want to hit it off the deck, maybe a Heavenwood which has a 4 wood shaft and a 7 wood loft, or at most a 5 wood would probably be best. A three hybrid may also be an option since it will have the loft of the 5 wood with a shorter shaft.

I actually trimmed my 3w down a half an inch and noticed an improvement in both my striking off the deck and off the tee with it.

There's also adjustable hybrids that you can get at 17* and adjust down in loft if you need to. One thing you need to ask yourself is, "What am I going to be using this club for". If you're looking for something "less than driver" off the tee, then maybe look at one of the mini-drivers. If it's something you're looking to hit off the deck into a par 5, is the reward of getting on a par 5 in two greater than the probably risk that you're going to be in trouble if you miss? I primarily carried my 3w for off the tee only because I can't consistently hit it off the deck with consistent accuracy. This is the case with most amateur golfers. I started laying up on all par 5s anytime my distance to the green was greater than 225 (my max comfort range for my hybrid).

I actually trimmed my 3w down a half an inch and noticed an improvement in both my striking off the deck and off the tee with it.

There's also adjustable hybrids that you can get at 17* and adjust down in loft if you need to. One thing you need to ask yourself is, "What am I going to be using this club for". If you're looking for something "less than driver" off the tee, then maybe look at one of the mini-drivers. If it's something you're looking to hit off the deck into a par 5, is the reward of getting on a par 5 in two greater than the probably risk that you're going to be in trouble if you miss? I primarily carried my 3w for off the tee only because I can't consistently hit it off the deck with consistent accuracy. This is the case with most amateur golfers. I started laying up on all par 5s anytime my distance to the green was greater than 225 (my max comfort range for my hybrid).
A lot of wisdom here.

The heavenwood is a nice club. JB had a version of one in Tampa and was great with it. Like others have said, more loft is usually better. I play a 19* fairway as my longest club off the deck. I hit woods low and have trouble elevating anything lower loft than that even with a high launching shaft.

Well, Thanks for the advice guys. After reading in the forum some more and reading this post I pulled the trigger on a 4 heavenwood and then also got dumb because of reading to many good reviews pulled the trigger on a SLDR mini driver. So fingers crossed I get some good results.... IF not watch the for sale section for some good deals. hahaha

Well, Thanks for the advice guys. After reading in the forum some more and reading this post I pulled the trigger on a 4 heavenwood and then also got dumb because of reading to many good reviews pulled the trigger on a SLDR mini driver. So fingers crossed I get some good results.... IF not watch the for sale section for some good deals. hahaha
Give yourself a chance to learn them and I bet you end up happy with that combo.

Oh, and tee that mini up lower than your driver. Took me a while to figure that one out. Middle of the ball should be at the top of the club if the club is resting on the ground.

The mini is a solid club. I had a couple 14* with different shafts. Stupid long and easy to hit pretty straight. I just couldn't get it off the deck so I decided to stick with my 5w.

Well after a couple rounds with the mini. This is by far the best driver I have ever hit. Iam not a long hitter by any means but I have hit this the straighter then any other driver I have try. So happy with this purchase .

Back