Aim Point Express

The problem is it's so small, and accounts for such a large range of slope (21 degrees). It's going to be tough to look at it and determine if it's 2, 3, 4 degrees, etc like you need for the Aimpoint Express method.
Ya, guess I got a $2 ball marker. The degree's aren't accurate enough probably as it goes from 0-7-14-21 degree's.
But here is their description to find your "sense of slopeness" lol. Love China items and their descriptions.

$_57.JPG

Oh well. Will probably buy the Dead Zero one, as it has gotten good reviews.

Ya, guess I got a $2 ball marker. The degree's aren't accurate enough probably as it goes from 0-7-14-21 degree's.

You want it to measure percent of slope not degrees of slope.

You want it to measure percent of slope not degrees of slope.

Gotcha. I looked up the conversions and it could get difficult.

1• is 1.75%
2• is 3.49%
3• is 5.24%
4• is 6.99%

Then again, there are differences in the widths of people's fingers and how they feel that percentage of slope. So it might be fine to treat the markings on the dead zero aid as 2, 3, 5, and 7.

The 5 and 7 degree markings are probably too much to use.

Yeah 99% of greens you'll come across will have 4% or less near the hole according to my instructor. I like that husky level because of how wide it is. Gets a solid representation of what the green is doing

I went and putted on a practice green that I've never been on, with all kinds of slopes on it.
It was early am, and the greens were a little wet, so the greens were slower, but my putting was really on.

I can't wait to try this out during an actual round.

But, already I think it's going to save me a couple strokes per round.

Just booked my aimpoint class in Calgary on the 25th. Its 2 hours and $210. Covers levels 1 & 2. Pretty pumped!

Is there anything I can do to prepare for this? Maybe just practice my putting stroke?

Practice your putting stroke, and learn to judge distances well with your feet/eyes. Go mark down what 5,10,15, and 20 feet look like and feel like to walk. That will save you some headache

I couldn't find it online anywhere either. And with the conversion required for degrees to percent I will end up getting the husky level. It's in stock locally so in the end it's probably the same price since I'm not paying shipping and will be more accurate.

I might have to check out the DVD, the classes seem really hard to find around Houston

I played 9 holes for the first time (played a practice round earlier in the week) since learning Aimpoint Express.

I had 15 putts. six 2 putts, and three 1 putts.

I had no stupid putts at all, and the majority (maybe all???) of my 2nd putts were easy ones.

I left a couple 2-3" short.

On the 9th hole, it was a 5 slope. I read it as a 5, but then b/c I have limited experience with 5's, 2nd guessed myself b/c it didn't look like a 5. I played it as a 4, and it was in fact a 5.

That's the best putting I've ever done during actual game conditions.

I just got back from the range.

After hitting some balls, I finished up with putting for 10-15 minutes.

My putting felt so good.

There were a lot of people on the green.
An older gentleman walked up to me and asked me what I was doing with my fingers.

He responded with "it looks goofy, but man it sure looks like it works."

That was great to hear. Believe me, I've never been complimented on my putting before!

I just got back from the range.

After hitting some balls, I finished up with putting for 10-15 minutes.

My putting felt so good.

There were a lot of people on the green.
An older gentleman walked up to me and asked me what I was doing with my fingers.

He responded with "it looks goofy, but man it sure looks like it works."

That was great to hear. Believe me, I've never been complimented on my putting before!

I broke down and bought the DVD based on your replies. I hope I get the same results as u!

The head teaching pro at Wildcat, Tom O'Brien, is certified and has taught a friend on mine the process in one or more private lessons. But Wildcat is roughly an hour away from my house so I haven't had the time to go see him.

http://www.wildcatgolfclub.com/facilities/school-golf

I have seen his clinics show up before but they seem to be few and far between and I have only seen his name attached to X1 classes

I think he's in Houston: level 2 instuctor Jim Murphy. Sugar Creek Country club 281-494-9135

tsgolf101@aol.com

Thanks I will check it out, he isn't listed anywhere as teaching any clinics.......both he and O'Brien are only level 2 instructors

I'm still trying to teach myself what each amount of slope feels like but from where I was until now, I'd say I've improved tremendously. I played 9 yesterday and had (4) 1-putts, (4) 2-putts, and (1) three-putt. Where I struggle the most is when a putt is severely up or downhill. It's harder for me to feel slope in these instances. That's where my three-putt yesterday came from. Didn't hit it hard enough or give it enough break and I was left with 5 feet and lipped it out. Otherwise, my routine has been simplified tremendously and that's a bonus in my book.

Aim Point Express

I'm still trying to teach myself what each amount of slope feels like but from where I was until now, I'd say I've improved tremendously. I played 9 yesterday and had (4) 1-putts, (4) 2-putts, and (1) three-putt. Where I struggle the most is when a putt is severely up or downhill. It's harder for me to feel slope in these instances. That's where my three-putt yesterday came from. Didn't hit it hard enough or give it enough break and I was left with 5 feet and lipped it out. Otherwise, my routine has been simplified tremendously and that's a bonus in my book.

I took a Dave Pelz class the other day and realized my putting tempo is too slow. The instructor said the tempo of pros is around 100+ bpm. I have a metronome so I practiced at the faster pace adjusting my stroke according to the length of putt. I am amazed at how much better I'm getting the ball to the hole on long putts. I even made a couple putts from 20+ feet the first time out.
I would love to take an Aimpoint class one day. I know a good bit about it from my instructor and reading about it online. Learning about the zero line and studying the charts helped a lot.

I took a Dave Pelz class the other day and realized my putting tempo is too slow. The instructor said the tempo of pros is around 100+ bpm. I have a metronome so I practiced at the faster pace adjusting my stroke according to the length of putt. I am amazed at how much better I'm getting the ball to the hole on long putts. I even made a couple putts from 20+ feet the first time out.
I would love to take an Aimpoint class one day. I know a good bit about it from my instructor and reading about it online. Learning about the zero line and studying the charts helped a lot.
I need to start doing that. My lines are good, but lately I've been struggling with speed. Mine is usually hitting them too firm though.

I broke down and bought the DVD based on your replies. I hope I get the same results as u!

I expect you will love it.
Buy the Husky level that is described in the video at Home Depot. Don't mess around with other options.

Obviously you still have to be able to start your putt on your line.

But when you know, even if you misread the slope a bit, that your ball is going to come close to the hole, that confidence makes it so much easier to putt.

I don't have any experience with difficult double breaks, or super long putts with this system...but that's not where I was losing my strokes.

I sound like a 'fanboy'

I have no affiliation with Aimpoint at all. I'm just simply excited that I'm going to save some strokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have any of you used the Strackaline App? It's from the guy/company that does all the PGA Tour yardage books. They use a laser to scan the greens on courses and you can download the course you need to the app through subscriptions. The scans of the greens map out undulations in percent of slope which would be perfect for learning the Aimpoint Express method. You can select the days hole location and your ball location on the app and it will tell you the distance, how far left or right to hit the putt, and long to hit it as well.

I know 3 of my clubs courses are available through the app, but 2 of the courses had their greens completely redone last year and the third is being redone any day now. So I'm not sure any of them are accurate right now.

Back