Fellow seniors, what clubs are you using?

UVaWahoo

Reaction score
Handicap
I am a senior golfer with rather a low swing speed. Let me put it this way, when outings or tournaments let those 65 or older use the up tees, I take advantage of them. Recently, I was fitted for some Callaway irons with which I am extremely satisfied. Now its time to address the driver, fairway medals and hybrids. When I think senior equipment, I tend to think Callaway or Cobra. However, I don't want to limit the possibilities regarding other manufacturers. So my fellow seniors, may I ask what are you using? For that matter, I will take advice from anyone that might help this old man get a bit more distance.

Same situation as you with dole swing speed.
Driver: Previous gamers have been CG Black (original w/Miyazaki shaft and 2015 w/Bassara shaft). Also had good luck with G30 SF TEC. Currently using XXIO 8 w/regular shaft. Seems custom made for slow transition swings.
Fairway Metals: Callaway V series Heavenwood. This is easiest club I have ever hit. All V series good for us slower swingers. Ping G 5 wood. Very easy to launch and good distance.
Hybrids: 2015 Cleveland CG Black 4h and 5h. Also consider Cobra Baffler XLs.

Play Titleist AP1 regular flex, matter of fact all of my clubs are regular except the wedges which are stiff. With my handicap, I don't think I qualify to give advice, but what I can tell you is that I don't try and keep up with the younger guys, I just play within myself. The best part of my game is my wedge/putting play, that's is where I usually make up strokes that I loose (not all strokes).

Just recently I switched my entire bag over to XXIO. These clubs were designed for people like us who have slower swing speeds. If can hold your nose and get by the price, you should try to see if they perform for you.

EDIT: I'm 61 years young.

Last edited:
71 year old Senior playing the new Cobra King F6 10.5 deg driver with the weight forward and Cobra King F6 irons. The irons have the steel, flighted, regular shaft FST shafts and the driver has the Matrix Q4 Red Tie graphite regular shaft. Love this set up.

I'm only 54 and a pup still I guess, but when I get to about 60, I know for sure I'll go with graphite shafts in my irons and in senior flex. I play with older guys that have moved into ladies flex in the clubs and they love them. Something to consider. Need as soft of shafts as you can control.

63 here and my bag is pretty much a mix. I was fitted for my driver and I'm in love with TM fairways. I've been using Ping irons since the G5s. Best advice is to try everything and don't think just because of age you should exclude anything.

I'm 62. I use Project X95 steel shafts in my irons (5.0 - reg) All my woods also have regular flex shafts. My two hybrids however are stiff shafted according to Taylormade. I suspect the Aeroburner hybrids are only labeled that way to help our egos though!

56 here, my irons are graphite reg flex, driver graphite stiff, woods graphite reg, wedges steel. Swing speed has been dropping lately (???) but I'll go with not old but something in my swing broke

56 here, my irons are graphite reg flex, driver graphite stiff, woods graphite reg, wedges steel. Swing speed has been dropping lately (???) but I'll go with not old but something in my swing broke
What did you have in your X2 Hot hybrid?

Aldila Tour Green stiff graphite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just recently I switched my entire bag over to XXIO. These clubs were designed for people like us who have slower swing speeds. If can hold your nose and get by the price, you should try to see if they perform for you.

Disappointed that XXIO doesn't exist in the uk... Would like to give the driver a try as I think it could well suit my senior slow swing speed...

I must admit that I was not familiar with XXIO clubs, I didn't even know there were such clubs. Looked them up on the net and there are only two dealers near DC that even sell them. That nose thing about the price, how expensive are they?

I'm 52 and never really had a fast swing speed. I just switched from the XXIO 9 irons (heads to clunky for me) to the Ping G series Irons. I used to play graphite but had a hard time controlling my swing. I recently switched to lower weight steel (XP 95 and AWT 2.0 in the Pings). I play reg flex in the irons and driver. I always cut down my driver to play at 45 inches. I have the new XR 16 driver which I like and just ordered the Ping G SF Tec driver with the Regular flex shaft cut down to 45 inches. I have a question for the group. What golf balls do you guys play? I've been experimenting with balls that can give me distance off the tee and not be a rock around the greens. I've been using the Bridgestone E-6 balls lately. They give me good distance off the tee but they don't have too much stopping power on the greens.

Disappointed that XXIO doesn't exist in the uk... Would like to give the driver a try as I think it could well suit my senior slow swing speed...

XXIO isn't available in Canada either. Bought most if it I purchased from eBay sellers in the USA. I wanted to go 4W & 7W but the 4W is not offered in the States, that one came from an eBay seller in Japan. Overall good buying experience on eBay.

I must admit that I was not familiar with XXIO clubs, I didn't even know there were such clubs. Looked them up on the net and there are only two dealers near DC that even sell them. That nose thing about the price, how expensive are they?

The driver only sells for full list price of $650 USD. Couldn't find anyone that will sell these for less. It is expensive but when you see others here buying multiple shafts and drivers it could be viewed as a bargain - assuming it works for you.

I read all of the reviews on this site and lots of YouTube videos before pulling the trigger. This is the YouTube video that made me laugh and just had to get hold of these clubs. It's a Peter Finch video. He knew that XXIO has been dominating the Japanese market since early 2000 and that their products were designed from the ground up for slower swing speed golfers (beginners, women, seniors). But he was in for a big surprise once he start hitting them (irons, fairway woods, driver). Have a look at the video I'm sure you will enjoy it also.

I'm 64. A year ago I tore up my rotator cuff doing a sport I'm too old to do. I'm only taking a half backswing and have lost a lot of speed. Last time out I played from the forward tees and had a great time, even though my score didn't show it.

I have swapped out a few clubs in the past few months. I'm using a Ping G30 SFT 12* Driver in SR, still using a Wilson Frybrid 15* 3W in Reg (for now), picked up a Cobra Fly-Z XL 5W (19*) and 7W (22*) with Lite shafts.

I am in the process of replacing my Wilson Ci7 irons (UST V2 Reg) with Callaway XR OS, probably in a Lite graphite shaft. I have a fitting scheduled in March. The XR OS are nearly the same shaft length as my Ci7's and the lofts are just slightly stronger.

John

Super Senior here...:thumb:

See signature below...

Last edited:
Back