Chipping practice

PizzaBear

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Does anyone have chipping drills to add a bit of fun to practice rather than just ladder sort of things?

Thanks,
PB

I use to put a laundry basket in the center of my yard and space out sets of balls to chip into it. The distance would vary and I had about 5 balls in each set. If a basket is too big then get a smaller target. It helped a lot with control.

No drills as such, but as I normally go to the range with either Jen or my usual playing partner, we will often have a bit of competition to see who can hit / get closest to the target we are aiming at with a set number of balls

Whoever gets the closest gets to choose the next target so it is mixed up a bit

We also do the same when putting, but with only 1 ball, so you never tend to have the same putt twice

No drills as such, but as I normally go to the range with either Jen or my usual playing partner, we will often have a bit of competition to see who can hit / get closest to the target we are aiming at with a set number of balls

Whoever gets the closest gets to choose the next target so it is mixed up a bit

We also do the same when putting, but with only 1 ball, so you never tend to have the same putt twice

I've got a mate who will come to the range and do the same with me occasionally but no friends into golf enough to come chip and putt for an hour

I've got a mate who will come to the range and do the same with me occasionally but no friends into golf enough to come chip and putt for an hour

Yeah, I am a bit lucky there in that these days it is very rare that I go to the range by myself

We had a laugh on Sunday morning with a bit of competition at a target - myself and Preston were aiming at the basket around 100yds away and Jen was aiming at one about 20yds away. She got 5 in her target, and considering how new she is to golf she didn't let us forget it, Preston finally managed to hit the basket we were aiming at and I managed to hit it twice

The daft thing is, if we were hitting shots into a green at that yardage we would be pleased with how close we got, with most of the balls landing no further than 4-5yds from the basket (last weekend I put 2 in the basket but also hit the frame twice as well :bang-head:)

Roger Cleveland should us a great drill at the Grandaddy. He had us hit 15 yard chip shots one handed over and over again to really feel the arm rotation. Once we were hitting the shots we went two handed and he wanted us to mimick the feeling of the rotation in our forearms. It has helped me out a lot by hitting some nice high soft landing chips.

I usually practice by hitting 5,10,15,20 and so on yard shots all the way to 50 yards and then 60,70,80 and so on up to 100. I can do it twice, increasing and decreasing in sequence and then I move on. I also hit at random targets in that distance, but I only make one try, no repeats, just like the actual game.

Our range recently "converted" several mats to use different colored balls (white vs yellow) just for short game practice and installed color coded concrete slabs as targets from 35 to 110 yards. It's a great way to encourage short game work and I find that I use them every time I go to the range now. On the practice green I just try and be creative when there aren't too many people around, working on different lies and distances. Don't have a set game in mind, although that's certainly a good way to work on things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger Cleveland should us a great drill at the Grandaddy. He had us hit 15 yard chip shots one handed over and over again to really feel the arm rotation. Once we were hitting the shots we went two handed and he wanted us to mimick the feeling of the rotation in our forearms. It has helped me out a lot by hitting some nice high soft landing chips.

Did you do this with each arm, just Lead arm or just trail arm?

Did you do this with each arm, just Lead arm or just trail arm?

Guess I missed that part lol. I'm right handed so he had us using our right arm. Also he didn't want a full swing just a half swing focusing on getting the toe of the wedge up fast to really feel the rotation.

The tip mentioned above from Roger Cleveland looks like a great drill

Here are the things that I do:

When playing different courses I run across yellow balls that others have lost. These balls are great for chipping in the yard because they are easier to find when picking them up. I have a big Crown Royal bag full. That way you don't lose one and hit it with the mower. I will drop them and just pitch around and get good rhythm from different lies and positions and also I have about a 6ft bush that I pitch over to simulate something I need to get over to get on the green. Just working on touch in many different ways. This has helped my short game big time. Even though your not really hitting at a target per say, your hitting to an area but really just working on good ball contact and rhythm. Eventually the better you get the less the balls will be spread out in the yard and will be more in a group.

Also another way of working on chipping and putting which I like this the best. Go to your local course at the practice green, drop 3 or 4 balls that you game on the course around the green, play the ball as it lies like you would at a course, chip it to the hole, then go putt it. Its the same thing you would do while at the course and it makes you accountable. If you three putt, you three putted on the course. You chili dip a chip, well same thing. I have found the more reps of this the better I am at reading where to land chips to either drop and stop or bump and run. That way when your on the course there isn't a second thought because you have been there before many times. Then go up and mark your ball like on the course, go through your putting routine, and roll the ball to the hole. The practice green at my local course has several different features around it where you can play from, well below the green, above, tight lie, buried lie, ect. Also bring more than just your highest lofted club. I take my LW through 9 iron and depending on what I want the ball to do depends on what club I choose.

These things alone have helped my game around the greens big time.

If I have a green to chip/pitch to I take my 4 wedges (44,49,54,60) and work on hitting to pins from various lies to various pins.

I work on controlling trajectory and release/spin from everywhere I can to every green undulation I can. To me it's about having at least 3 options from anywhere I can imagine to get the ball on the green.

If I can get the ball close to the pin great if not then where can I get it that leaves me a good one putt chance or two putt

Ladder drills are my favorite for chips to work on distance control. Hit a ball then hit the next one a few feet by then another a few past that. Then hit one between the first two then one between the last two.

The other is to hit a ball and have he next one land next to that one and so one for 4-5 balls

I play leap frog a lot, pick a spot on the green far from the hole and try to land the ball there and run it close, then leap that spot by some distance and do the same, on and on until I'm landing the ball close to the hole but not running past.

If I'm simply working on feel, as opposed to mechanics, I'll take a dozen or so balls, stand on the green, and start tossing them around the green. Some end up being greenside chips, others 20-30 yards. So some chips, some pitches. Then, I'm just trying to get up and down with each one. It just forces me to think about each shot.

It also helps to have some good music going.

~Rock

Laundry basket 6 feet in front of sliding glass door, encourages no blading of the ball. Luckily they are stronger than you think.

Laundry basket 6 feet in front of sliding glass door, encourages no blading of the ball. Luckily they are stronger than you think.

#biggerballsthanme

Chipping practice

One of my favorites is to practice with 1 ball. You have to get up and down from 7 different spots consecutively before you can leave.

Another is to practice chipping left hand only.

Last edited:
i don't really have a favorite. i just bring a few balls and drop them in different spots. my goal is to focus and hit a good shot every time. it's not about working on a certain technique; it's about re-creating playing conditions and trying to execute.

I do something pretty similar but with a shoe box

I do quite a bit of practice chipping, not only in ladder type of chipping drills but also spend some time chipping out of bad lies and lies in different sorts of rough

Golf towel drills are great around the green. Try getting your ball to stop on the towel for a little while, then just get your ball to take its first bounce on the towel. The second part is great for trajectory practice, use all sorts of different clubs and shots with it.

I don't do drills so much but definetly go to the range a lot to work on chipping

I practice a lot in my yard with 3 or 4 balls and just hit them to various targets anywhere from 10-60 yards (I have a big yard). Once I get all of the balls to one target I move to the next. I know the distances so by recreating the shots at each distance I have fairly good distance control on the course.

Back