Furyk Announces Selection Criteria for 2018 Ryder Cup

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Ryder Cup Captain Jim Furyk today announced the selection criteria for the U.S. Team in advance of the 42nd Ryder Cup, which will be played September 28-30, 2018 at Le Golf National in Guyancourt, France.

All U.S. players will have the opportunity to earn points beginning in 2017 and concluding August 12, 2018.

2017 Major Championships
1 Point per $1,000 earned
The Masters; U.S. Open; Open Championship; PGA Championship

2017 WGC Events and The Players Championship
1 Point per $2,000 earned
WGC-Mexico Championship; WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play Championship; The Players Championship; WGC-Bridgestone Invitational; WGC-HSBC Champions

2018 Regular PGA Tour events
1 point per $1,000 earned
Beginning January 1, 2018, through the PGA Championship, August 12, 2018; includes the Zurich Classic of New Orleans team event and WGC events
2018 Opposite Field PGA TOUR events will NOT receive points

2018 Major Championships
2 Points per $1,000 earned for the Winner
1.5 Points per $1,000 earned for all others to make the cut
The Masters; U.S. Open; Open Championship; PGA Championship
The points system for the American team will conclude on August 12, 2018 following the 100th PGA Championship at Bellerive Country Club in St. Louis, with the top eight (8) players on the points list securing spots on the U.S. Team.

The four (4) remaining slots on the U.S. Team will be Captain’s Selections. Three selections will be announced by Captain Furyk following the Dell Technologies Championship scheduled to be completed on September 3, 2018, and the final selection will be announced after the BMW Championship, which is slated to be completed on September 9, 2018.

That's a little more complicated than I might have expected.

Anybody know how this compares to the selection process for the previous team? Seems like the same number of captain's picks as well as the staggered timing of their selection but other than that I am not too familiar with how they did it for 2016.

tl;dr?

Iirc that's a change to the points awarded in majors for 2018. In the past I think it was 2 pts/1000 earned for everybody

I think the bonus for winning a major down the stretch is a good one. Was the "penalty" for the big money non-major tournaments (WGC/Players) there before?

Anybody know how this compares to the selection process for the previous team? Seems like the same number of captain's picks as well as the staggered timing of their selection but other than that I am not too familiar with how they did it for 2016.

The 2 main changes:
1) Last captain's pick is after BMW Championship, not Tour Championship as in 2016.
2) Everyone got 2 points per $1000 in the majors in 2016. They want to lessen the value of the majors for non-winners of majors to better reward guys that win tournaments in the rest of the season. In other words, they don't want a guy that plays lights out in 2 majors and stinks for the rest of the year making it over a more consistent guy throughout the year.

Well people won't be able to blame him for not having a solid foundation to his picking. That is a detail report on how to make the team.

I'll be honest, I don't care. It means nothing til next year

#TEAMSNELL aka #TeamGreen

I like that he is valuing winning more than placing high in a major

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one thing that doesn't mean a whole bunch to me. I trust it will all flesh itself out and the captain will pick the right players.

Back