TaylorMade Flextech Carry Bag Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP and TaylorMade sent out new Flextech golf bags to THPers for review and this thread will be a great place to gather information. If you are not a tester, please feel free to chime in with your own thoughts and questions.

Got my shipping notice saying bag will be here on Tuesday.

Looking forward to testing this out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bag arrived today, while I'm not able to get great photos tonight, I figured I would throw some up. I received the Gray/Royal combo, which would make my friend Canadan happy. Not the most exciting look, but overall very nice. The blue kind of pops in certain spots, esp on the legs. On the base of the bag you can see where the FlexTech part comes in to play. Anyone who has seen a Ping Hoofer bag will notice some similarities to this one, and that's a good thing as hoofer bags are always held in high regard. Will follow up with some other quick thoughts and grab some higher quality photos later in the week.

i-TXxsxFZ-L.jpg

i-f3h4pmh-L.jpg

i-V5sT6fg-L.jpg

i-x5KRXg7-L.jpg

i-3bwJKkd-L.jpg

i-VdGSXrf-L.jpg

i-MkVJFfF-L.jpg

i-prRgZ4P-L.jpg

i-nwKFMrk-L.jpg

This is on the ball pocket.

i-cdTR8jt-L.jpg

i-w9RXHQ7-L.jpg

i-VgnL6mh-L.jpg

i-Q3Fwd9F-L.jpg

i-2FHWHNv-L.jpg

i-j6DGKXM-L.jpg

i-C4TDnXX-L.jpg

Last edited:
Some quick thoughts about this bag from TaylorMade.

First off the top, it's a 5-way top with three full length dividers. The top portion is a good size that should allow for 3-4 clubs as well as a putter with an oversized grip. One of my favorite stand bag designs on the top was my old TM SLDR bag that had the square top, never have any issues with it and was able to fit a large amount of clubs in it with no problem. Looking forward to seeing how this one holds up.

Pockets: 11 of them, that's quite a bit. Ball pocket is rather large and TM offers free embroidery to it, which is a nice touch. Valuables pocket is lined to help keep your phone or watch from getting scratched. There is an insulated water bottle pocket that is rather deep, that is something that is always something of importance to those who carry their bag.

FlexTech system: This bag seems to be born from the Ping hoofer, and even TM isn't hiding that. Instead of the kickstand, the base of the bag flexes and the legs expand out. Also unlike the straight legs that have been on previous TM bags, these have a slight bend to them, again think Ping Hoofer.

Shoulder straps seem to have plenty of cushion to them, as does the hip pad. As with any other bag though, this is something to keep an eye on over time.

Anyway, will have more pictures and thoughts on this later in the week. I'm pretty excited to load it up and take it out to the range.

How does it feel weight wise Dean?

A lined valuables pocket plus an insulated bottle pocket in a bag based on the Hoofer? I am very interested in learning more.

How does it feel weight wise Dean?

weight seems OK. On their site its listed at 4.9LBS, I just weighed it here and it was around 5.6 lbs. Either way, not heavy. Seems slightly heavier than my Sun Mountain bag that I've been gaming for the past 18 months, and slightly lighter than the Ogio Silencer I reviewed. Weight isn't everything though, good straps and balance can certainly help alleviate stress from carrying.

Nice way to start this of dean. Looking forward to mine arriving. 11 pockets is a lot of storage.

Good first thoughts Dean. Ping Hoofer was a great bag for me for a few years, so this being born from that is ok in my book.

How many different colors are we looking at for this bag. It looks like a sturdy material I just worry about the light color getting dirty.

#TEAMSNELL aka #TeamGreen

Liking the clean colora on yours dean

How many different colors are we looking at for this bag. It looks like a sturdy material I just worry about the light color getting dirty.

#TEAMSNELL aka #TeamGreen

Per their website the flex tech carry has 7 options

It looks like the biggest complaint I have with my TM bag would still be an issue here.

The little flaps that fold over into the top divider can come undone, and then unfold and sort of flap around awkwardly. It's a pretty minor issue, but it drives me nuts almost every time I use the bag.

TaylorMade Flextech Carry Bag Review Thread

First off, I was not selected to test this through the THP contest, but have just purchased the bag to replace my Taylormade PureLite bag.

I chose the Grey/Green color and it came in the other day. It is quote cold here now so I cannot take it out on the course but have been carrying around the back yard up some hills to get the sense of carrying it on hills on the course.

Packaging: The bag was sent in a well packaged box direct from Taylormade with multiple plastic wrappings to help protect it during shipment. This doesn't affect the quality of the product itself, but it shows how Taylormade is protecting the product before it gets to the customer.

Initial Thoughts: After unpacking the box and setting the bag down it feels quite light (4.9 lbs) and the material feel very high quality. The bag seems to be very well built and sturdy. It doesn't feel overly light or flimsy at all which is a great start.

FlexTech Stand: It was easy to notice how well the stands came out. The legs seem very sturdy and have a nice logo on them in a contrasting color that is easy to see. They are slightly bent which add strength to them as well as leave the bag at a good angle to allow for easy access to the clubs as a good height for most people. The FlexTech system is nice that it doesn't have a kickstand. My previous TM Purelite bag has a kickstand and it gets in the way when putting it on the back of the cart, so this new system is a plus.

Pockets: There are a total of 11 pockets on the Flextech bag which allow for tons of storage. The pockets are deeper into the bag then they look from the outside. At first look, the bag is small overall compared to previous models so I was worried about pocket capacity, but there is still plenty there. The bottom front pocket has a thicker zipper and is completely removable to allow for embroidery, which is free through Taylormade if you'd like to get your name on it. In one of the pockets you will find the rain cover to snap onto the top of the bag to protect the clubs. The top pockets on the right side of the bag is in a great location and angle for easy access. I usually use this pocket for the few balls I start the round with as well as some tees, ball marker and divot tool. There are large zippers right next to it that run the full length of the bag which have a ton of capacity. All pockets have a hook on them for ease of grabbing on the fly. There is also a lined cooler pocket to keep your beverage cool which is a nice improvement over my Purelite. This pocket is now smaller than that bag but the liner is great. The angle of the pocket is easy to get to while the bag is on your back. Most times I reach for a drink is while I am walking to the next shot.

Hooks: One thing I was upset to see is that there is only one hook on the right side of the bag. On the PureLite there was another hook right under the top grab handle. This was a disappointment in the design and I am not sure why this hook would be gone. I used this hook for extra towels and wish they would have kept it. Now I need to use on hook for anything I was to latch onto the side of the bag. This will lead to overcrowding and I will need to figure out another accessory layout. Hopefully this is remedied on the next bag.

Dividers: The full length dividers are a very nice feature in this bag. It is easy to take them in and out and it greatly reduces club crowding. My Purelite use to crowd all the time and sometimes would have the liner come out with the club which was a pain. Taylormade seems to have fixed this issue with the Flextech bag and also fixed the crowding issue. The 5 pocket layout gives ample room for 3-4 clubs per spot. I use 3 irons/wedges per divider and one wedge and putter in another, as well as driver and woods in the top. This leads to no crowding issues even with the oversized putter grip. I was thinking of going to a 14 divider bag, but chose to stick with the 5 divider to keep the weight down and it seems to be a great call so far.

Back Straps: The dual density back straps are very comfortable and do not get tangled as I have seen with other bags. There is plenty of adjustable in the straps for golfers of all sizes and comfort needs. While carrying, it is very comfortable and the weight is very evenly distributed. Carrying up hills is a breeze and it does not feel too long on one side or the other.

Umbrella Sleeve: The umbrella sleeve is longer than the PureLite and which is a nice addition to keep it check while carrying. It is a much sturdier setup as it holds more of the umbrella close to the bag.

Grab Handles: All grabs handles are very sturdy and easy to grab and hold.

Overall Rating: I would rate this bag a 95 out of 100 as there was a con or two from the PureLite, but this bag is an overall solid design and looks great. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone looking for a great, versatile stand bag, especially the Taylormade loyal.

Pros:
-Light weight
-Great color selection
-No club crowding
-No kickstand
-Sturdy feel and sturdy grab handles
-Full length dividers
-Large club divider space for up to 4 clubs each
-Comfortable back straps
-Cooler pocket for drinks
-Long umbrella sleeve
-Free personalizing option

Cons:
-Only one grab handle
-Slightly less overall size and storage over the PureLite

dabd87e5084173992abb6f79441d3f6f.jpg
90d4fc4bcf7298fe489a34a22d335219.jpg
c820c1c0815b318c93e4d2b26f0b90b2.jpg
f7e1f43f883087f8410d44d49ee933f4.jpg
9a70d47d515bf1b1167c34ee9aea8e23.jpg
dbbac89d3a252530d4b5b2a0c7a66828.jpg
734a574ed612d403111deb219d0c5506.jpg
a8acdac1d33456e42ab5665c71770d6f.jpg
3592d8aa2a724841e9459efb9446db64.jpg

Last edited:
Came home to this today ...
2b2950fa4d97214c1905958646c8c8ae.jpg

Opening revealed a Grey/Royal Flextech Carry Bag.
4ecc92f76209f17a3e52222c88a1128a.jpg

223535b53658ae57bb65c829ffc87a73.jpg

bb8acb6e387aaeb3a2eceea5156211fb.jpg

55ab941c1484b3e57776147ccee7d5df.jpg

33dacdaed0dfa947666501cb7a56859d.jpg

Info contained on the tags ...
92e9e5725b504d7ac5ef43e4f29048e7.jpg

641e1cb4811b6aece69b35d79678901e.jpg

77c7c1ff8b50cfbe5aed5da7c2083c56.jpg

Initial Impressions
It feels light compared to my other stand bag. I saw that Dean says his weighs in at just under a pound more than their stated weight (5.6 as opposed to the promoted 4.9). It also feels quite sturdy. The blue handle/bar at the top of the bag is a firm plastic. No flexing when you grab it. The black handle a bit further down is comfortably padded. I've never had anything but a 14 way divider in cart/stand bag before so for a regular everyday bag this will be an interesting experience.

More thoughts later but overall my initial impressions are positive. I think the free personalization (to the first 10,000 purchasers and must be redeemed by 9/15/17) is a nice touch. I think I'll eventually get mine done at the local seamstress.

Last edited:
I'll be very interested to hear people's thoughts on this when they walk with it. I really like the Hoofer style mechanism in that it's more reliable than a lot of the other stand mechanisms out there, but on my 4 series bag I feel like it results in the clubs getting tangled up a bit more.

This is a nice looking bag, I like the colors so far.

This is really a great looking bag.

I wish more bag companies would offer the removable panel on carry bags.

Free panel? That is really really cool.

For sure. Thats what caught my eye at first. I would be jumping right on that

Like the look and the functionality, gotta keep this one on the list

Really looking forward to the thoughts here. Love the stand design, not a bag thing to be copying Ping on that. Not usually a fan of TM bags as I find they generally feel cheap, but it appears this may be a turning point.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'll be very interested to hear people's thoughts on this when they walk with it. I really like the Hoofer style mechanism in that it's more reliable than a lot of the other stand mechanisms out there, but on my 4 series bag I feel like it results in the clubs getting tangled up a bit more.

This is a nice looking bag, I like the colors so far.

I'm going to try and get at least 9 holes of walking in this weekend with it.

I'm going to try and get at least 9 holes of walking in this weekend with it.
I have off on Monday and I'm going to do everything I can to get 36 holes in. I plan on walking at least 18 of those, though I could very well hoof it for all 36. If that doesn't challenge the bag, I don't know what will. Hoping it's as comfortable as it looks!

Back