Mizuno jpx900 Tour vs Ping i200

mesaman777

Reaction score
Handicap
~
I spent about an hour on an outdoor range hitting these clubs. A mizzy 6 iron with a recoil shaft and the ping 7 iron with a modus shaft. Both of these clubs are super fantastic! I currently play pings and I have been bouncing between ping and mizzy for the last 25+ years so I am trying to be impartial between the two.

My first immediate impression was that the pings felt softer, and not just a little bit, a lot. Mishits on the mizzy were harsh and feedback was immediate. When hit on the center of the face, the classic mizzy forged feeling was there in spades. Just a slight click and the ball was gone straight and true. The pings however felt soft across the entire face. There was no harsh feeling at all, but I was able to tell where my mishits were.

Surprisingly, the distance between both clubs were consistently within a couple of yards of one another, which is impressive considering one was a 6 and the other a 7. Being a 7 the ping flew higher as well. There was no LM set up, so I have no data, but my eyes and feel told me what I needed to know.

Both clubs felt so nice as they were set up, I had no desire to swap out shafts. After this one range session, If i had to choose between the two, I would take the pings and not look back. I was really impressed with these. They are not much bigger than my current ie'1s, but they do appear that way. Not a distraction and I don't think i would skip a beat putting these in play immediately.

My regret with my current clubs is that i didn't go with the modus shaft when I was fitted. I ended up with the cfs, which is a nice shaft as well, but the Nippon is such a nice feeling shaft.

Also, the associate told me the recoil shaft was not an upcharge from mizuno which is a great deal in itself. Just one man's opinion.

Nice feedback. I'm not sure why but in the last week I've had the urge to try out some Ping irons. I've only ever hit Ping drivers and growing up lusted after their irons. It might be time to give the I200's a swing.

Back