How would you fill this gap in your bag, without an iron option

tr561

Reaction score
Handicap
Obviously there is not one size that fits all, but i'm missing 2 clubs in the bag and interested in how everyone fills this area. Making a purchase really soon after getting proper fitting, but just interested in ball park convo first. I can't hit my 3 and 4 iron consistently enough and even the 5 iron escapes me ever so often. Interested in what others would do or are doing with the below scenario. Thx

3 wood (15') - 205-210' off the deck, 220-225' off tee (very consistent)

_____ - 195 (would definitely like to remove my 4 iron)

_____ - 185 (would like to possibly remove my 5 iron)

6 Iron - 175 -180

7 Iron - 165 - 170

8 Iron - 155 - 160

9 Iron - 145 - 150

PW - 130 -140

Last edited:
Obviously there is not one size that fits all, but i'm missing 2 clubs in the bag and interested in how everyone fills this area. Making a purchase really soon after getting proper fitting, but just interested in ball park convo first. I can't hit my 3 and 4 iron consistently enough and even the 5 iron escapes me ever so often. Interested in what others would do or are doing with the below scenario. Thx

6 Iron - 175 -180

7 Iron - 165 - 170

8 Iron - 155 - 160

9 Iron - 145 - 150

PW - 130 -140

I filled the gap between my 3w and 5 iron with an 18 and 21 degree hybrid. Gap between my 21 and 5 is a little large but I choke down on the hybrid to close the gap.

You'd be looking at either a 5 wood - hybrid combo, or hybrid - hybrid if you want to get out of the 5 iron as well I'm guessing.

I'd probably look more towards that 5 wood (or even heavenwood) for that next spot down if you are comfortable with a 3 wood, and then a hybrid for your 5 iron spot. lots of good options for both of those scenarios though.

I am curious why the sample only allows for two clubs there... Do you have a bunch of wedges?

In my bag, I've got my 5 iron, then two utilities before I get to my 3w. I'm not sure I could fill that gap appropriately without having three slots.

You'd be looking at either a 5 wood - hybrid combo, or hybrid - hybrid if you want to get out of the 5 iron as well I'm guessing.

I'd probably look more towards that 5 wood (or even heavenwood) for that next spot down if you are comfortable with a 3 wood, and then a hybrid for your 5 iron spot. lots of good options for both of those scenarios though.
The 2nd paragraph is what I was going to post.

6 Iron - 175 -180

7 Iron - 165 - 170

8 Iron - 155 - 160

9 Iron - 145 - 150

PW - 130 -140

You could go with 19* and 23* hybrids. That should gap out about right.

Heaven wood, 4 or 5 hybrid. Thats what I would look at.

If your comfortable with your 3w why not add another wood, 5w or 7w. I don't know if I'd try to add two clubs to gap from 180 6i to 205 3w. Seems like a 190-195 club is all you need. At the top of the bag I think larger distance gaps are ok. I go about 195 4i to 220 4w. For my handicap that is fine.

Just did something somewhat similar:

5W and 4H. Depending on how you hit FWs vs hybrids you could always go 2 FWs (not ideal for me as I am more comfortable hitting Hybrids from the rough) or 2 HY.

If possibly I would get on a launch monitor with some options to see what fits for you.

I would find a utility or hybrid clubs that meet those distances. The loft will vary from person to person.

Just curious to what irons you are playing?

The 2nd paragraph is what I was going to post.

You could go with 19* and 23* hybrids. That should gap out about right.

I agree with these options.

Because i'm only trying to fill 20 yards of distance, but i'm open to your opinion on this ?

I am curious why the sample only allows for two clubs there... Do you have a bunch of wedges?

In my bag, I've got my 5 iron, then two utilities before I get to my 3w. I'm not sure I could fill that gap appropriately without having three slots.

So the next club after my 15' 3-wood, would be potentially a 20' Heavenwood & (Hybrid 4H),...... or...... two hybrids (3H & 4H) ?

Maybe a 4 or 5 hybrid???

new (pre-owned) CF16's.

Have you considered slotting in a 5i from a more GI set, say, an XR 5i? You could then go hybrid/fwy in the final slot.

Are you carrying 4 wedges after your set PW?

So the next club after my 15' 3-wood, would be potentially a 20' Heavenwood & (Hybrid 4H),...... or...... two hybrids (3H & 4H) ?

Yep. You just need to figure out what you hit best and fills the gap

Because i'm only trying to fill 20 yards of distance, but i'm open to your opinion on this ?

I would be surprised if your realized distance differential between your 6 iron and your 3w off the deck was actually less than 30 yards. Me personally? I'm more like a conservative 50 yards. I'm sure there are plenty of elements working that I can't impact (swing mechanics, club fit, etc), but I really think that gap requires three clubs to fill properly.

For lack of a better number let's assume your 6 iron is 27-28 degrees of loft, you've got 12-13 degrees you can fill in with 3 degree increments using Utility irons, hybrids, or woods. Personally, I like a mix of the UT/Hybrid option, but right now I've got a 5 iron, and then a 21 and an 18 degree Utility before I get to my 3 wood. The gaps are fantastic.

I agree completely, i can't figure out how i hit a 6 iron 175, and can only hit the 3 wood a little over 200. I admit i don't swing the 3-wood that hard because i'm nervous about what will happen. Thanks for the feedback.

I would be surprised if your realized distance differential between your 6 iron and your 3w off the deck was actually less than 30 yards. Me personally? I'm more like a conservative 50 yards. I'm sure there are plenty of elements working that I can't impact (swing mechanics, club fit, etc), but I really think that gap requires three clubs to fill properly.

For lack of a better number let's assume your 6 iron is 27-28 degrees of loft, you've got 12-13 degrees you can fill in with 3 degree increments using Utility irons, hybrids, or woods. Personally, I like a mix of the UT/Hybrid option, but right now I've got a 5 iron, and then a 21 and an 18 degree Utility before I get to my 3 wood. The gaps are fantastic.

Just tested the Heavenwood to fill the 195 slot, unfortunately i was carrying it 210, sometimes 218. Damn technology...I did hit the Apex 4H and it fits the 185-190 slot perfectly.

Just tested the Heavenwood to fill the 195 slot, unfortunately i was carrying it 210, sometimes 218. Damn technology...I did hit the Apex 4H and it fits the 185-190 slot perfectly.

6 Iron - 175 -180

7 Iron - 165 - 170

8 Iron - 155 - 160

9 Iron - 145 - 150

PW - 130 -140

I recently reconfigured the top end of my bag. The four longest clubs are: a 15 degree 3 wood, a 24 degree 9 wood, a 20 degree hybrid, and a 27 degree 5 iron. I selected the clubs by playing rather than by loft or length. The 9 wood replaced my 5 wood because I was getting too much roll-out on the dormant grass. The 20 degree hybrid replaced a 17 degree version for the same reason. When Spring arrives I may reconfigure again. With me...it isn't so much the yardage gaps in the bag...it's the yardages I encounter on the course. There are four golf courses on my "rota" and this set-up works well on each.

Get a couple adjustable loft hybrids in the bag or a five wood. Secondly, learn the "bunt" shot. It's my secret weapon.

Well maybe you need to ditch the three wood then. I'm thinking of putting a Divine Nine into my 5i slot, and then preceding that with a 4 hybrid before transitioning into the very top of my bag.

Back