Ping - What Don't You Like?

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
I was reading the "What brands won't you buy" thread and Ping was a frequently mentioned company. I may be biased since they are a hometown company, so I am curious as to what about them puts you off in any way?

I was reading the "What brands won't you buy" thread and Ping was a frequently mentioned company. I may be biased since they are a hometown company, so I am curious as to what about them puts you off in any way?

Before this year I just wasn't much of a fan. No reason to it then I gave their clubs a fair shot and loved them.
1 thing I don't like is they sponsor Bubba.

I didn't say that, and don't have anything against them as a company. But in general I think their clubs are less appealing than competitors visually. I also don't ever care for their marketing or their branded clothing.

Everything

/sarcasm

I've tried them about four times now and I've just not had good results. They make good products but Ping and I just don't see eye to eye.

I still hold a bit of a grudge from some poor customer service a few years ago.

I'm not a fan of the gimmick tech they have on the G30 drivers and fairways, amount of offset on the G and I series irons and I don't like the satin finish look of their irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always wanted a set of their irons going way back years ago. However the g30 was my least favorite driver I hit this year.

The design of their wedges with the extended toe never looked good to me. I guess it's similar to what's going with the Callaway PM grind; that style looks odd to me, but not ugly.

I'm not a fan of the gimmick tech they have on the G30 drivers and fairways, amount of offset on the G and I series irons and I don't like the satin finish look of their irons.

FWIW, in my testing it did play a role in improving club speed in the driver, not a ton, but def there. On the fairways they said from the start the turbulators were there for line continuity and alignment only.

I still hold a bit of a grudge from some poor customer service a few years ago.

That's weird. I had nothing but great CS when I had pings and needed stuff done

That's weird. I had nothing but great CS when I had pings and needed stuff done
It was one incident a while back but for some reason it still rubs me the wrong way. At the time I think I had 14 Ping clubs in the bag.

Ping irons have always had a bulky and odd shape that doesn't really appeal to me. Nothing wrong with the brand but that has always been what makes me not want to play them.

It was one incident a while back but for some reason it still rubs me the wrong way. At the time I think I had 14 Ping clubs in the bag.

Definitely understandable. Sometimes all it takes is one bad time. I'm the same with other companies

FWIW, in my testing it did play a role in improving club speed in the driver, not a ton, but def there. On the fairways they said from the start the turbulators were there for line continuity and alignment only.

Everyone's experience will be different but at the launch at my local GS last year 17 out of the fist 20 testers saw no gain in CHS. The PING rep blamed the LM lol. I was one of the three that did see a difference and it was .3 faster but that could have been how I was swinging that day or the weight difference since it was a bit lighter.

Ping irons have always had a bulky and odd shape that doesn't really appeal to me. Nothing wrong with the brand but that has always been what makes me not want to play them.

That's the way I use to be. Now I can't look at normal boring irons anymore :)

Their stuff has never felt good to me. I played a 3 wood for over a year and it was very hot/cold. I know it was more me than the club, but once that got in my mind I lost all confidence. I find a lot of their current irons and woods to be ugly so I don't even bother hitting any of it.

My new Ping Anser putter is amazing though! I didn't even care what brand I ended up with as long as it looked and felt good. Ping just happened to win out

I dont like the new font they are using for the club numbers on the new i series and the Gmax. I also dont like the hosels on the Gmax. Like the traditional look of the G30 and earlier G series.

I love Ping and have the utmost respect for that club maker. In fact I think they're the one remaining company that still uses their own foundries here in the USA instead of China although that may have changed by now. Ping epitomizes American golf.

I've never been a fan of the looks of there clubs. I will say that the G30LS was one of the top performing drivers for me this year. Those turbulators are just ugly as sin. I couldn't imagine looking at those ten or so times a round. Then there is the Bubba Watson issue they have. Is there a bigger tool that a company could sponsor. F#*$ that guy

I love Ping and have the utmost respect for that club maker. In fact I think they're the one remaining company that still uses their own foundries here in the USA instead of China although that may have changed by now. Ping epitomizes American golf.

The last driver that I ordered for a customer was shipped from Mexico.

I thought I remember reading they moved a lot of stuff to China a few years back...

I thought I remember reading they moved a lot of stuff to China a few years back...
Oh I thought they still had a foundry in Arizona. You're probably right tho seeing as how everyone is getting components from China and using their foundries.

I like their clubs. I don't care for their logo.

I think they are a good solid brand and I played well with some Ping clubs a couple of years ago, but they seem to just be behind on the tech department these days. JMO of course. Everything is subjective.

When someone refers to irons a "shovels" I immediately think of the G series.

That being said, I'm never letting my K15 out of my sight again.

Back